Sequential Multiport EFI

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
been toying with the idea of buying a kit but a search here doesn't reveal much about multiport injection kits so here goes, I'm looking at the Eddy proflo 2 kit because the Mass EFI kit is too much loot to play around with , so first off do you guys know of any other kits on the market? second is it really just a matter of a bigger injector and a fuel pump to upgrade the eddy kit from 400 hp to say 550-600 ? my stroker makes 524hp so the basic injector isn't going to cut it . I don't want to go back to school for an electronic engineering degree so I want a simple plug and play setup rather than trying to piece bits together and I want it to be self learning so I don't have to be constantly retuning the darn thing .

I don't know "what all" is out there. The relatively new Holley HP and the more expensive Dominator systems are VERY configurable, and are "self learning."

The software interface with MegaSquirt "makes" it self learning.

I recommend you do not get too hung up on "sequential" After all, carburetors are not. Many many high performance engines, either OEM or "built" are NOT sequencial, but are variations of bank - to - bank or batch fire.

From what I've read..........

sequential mostly affects idle and emissions, and low speed driveability, and doesn't seem to have all that much (percentage) effect on HP, or even much in the way of driveability for the large part of the throttle range.

thanks I just saw a kit from an outfit called Affordable for about a 1,000 less the eddy's kit , the reason I am thinking multiport is exactly what you just said , Idle and low speed , wide open the Holly 950hp is great but no choke circuit makes idle and low speed a bit of an issue especially now that the temps are dropping , that and if top end ping is what caused my head gasket failure this summer then EFI should offer some protection from that .I am not hung up on the sequential part but I am thinking I want a system that has more control than a basic TBI setup which is why I am looking at multiport .

wow where is everyone ?

I'm here, but I'm "lurking," as I don't have any "know how" on how to convert to EFI - BUT, I am intently interested for when I finally get back into an old Mopar, I definitely want see about converting it to EFI. So I'm here for "moral support" only.

:happy1:

yeah I've seen that site but it's only cpu stuff no pumps or jets or rails etc... ,there was quite a bit of talk about using stuff from dakota's and mixing and matching parts but I'm looking for a complete setup the Eddy kits have everything including the dizzy , I am wondering if anyone has done business with Affordable EFI because they are 1000 bucks cheaper than the Eddy setup on Summit , and I need to know what I should be buying to upgrade the kit to support 550 hp since all the kits I see are designed for 450hp for the Mopar small block .I was hoping some of the guys who have played with these systems would chime in .

First thing you need is an intake with injector bungs and fuel rails that match. From there it opens the door to whatever you want to use. You'll need a cam/crank signal for it to work as well. There was a complete Accel DFI setup for sale not to long ago for a small block on Moparts. A complete kit with everything you need is gonna cost $$$ no matter who makes it. Do some searching, you might get lucky and score something used.

Yeah summit wants $3600 for the Eddy ProFlo 2 setup but it includes absolutely everything for a 450 hp setup , Affordable want $2645 for a 1000cfm setup matched to my cam , both only seem to include 1 o2 sensor so I need to be able to add another , I get the impression that the guys at Affordable are putting together a setup of parts from different manufacturers to be able to offer a lower price but both use the RPM intake . I know it's a pretty hefty chunk of change compared to a carb but if it helps with fuel economy {lol kind of an oxymoron with a 524hp stroker but heh !} and most importantly cold weather starting and low rpm drivability then it might actually pay for itself in a couple of years , or at least make up the difference between it and a new Holley 950 with a choke circuit to replace the HP series I'm running now .

You know there is a guy "Shelbydogg" (Rob) over on http://www.cuda-challenger.com that has converted a couple of his cars to EFI. If I remember right, he didn't do it with a big-bucks system either. Don't know if you are a member over there or not, but it might be worth logging in and looking Rob up?

I agree that MPFI is mainly for better mileage and driveability. TBI will give plenty of power. There are many that are self-tuning, and some made to look like a 4 bbl carb. However, max HP requires a single-plane intake, so no way a TBI could control O2 on each bank. Kind of against the TBI concept anyway, which is "mix first, then distribute". I don't even know which MPFI kits can work with multiple O2 sensors. For fuel alone, you don't need sequential injection, so don't need crank & cam sensors. Batch fire is fine for max HP.

Off the cuff: My thoughts. The Megasquirt set up,and see what the 408 stroked guys are doing......

again the Megasquirt is an engine management system meaning it has all the cool electronics but no hardware like intakes , squirters , rails etc so you dump a chunk of change for part of what you need , eddy seems to have the complete package and they have a management system as well for running multiple sensors and enhanced programming , kinda the drive with the laptop on the passenger seat while you race deal which i really am not looking for , I was hoping to hear from some of the stroker guys as I'm running a 410 stroker myself . On another note I'm not hung up on the sequential part I just don't want a TBI setup for all the reason Bill just mentioned , It seems a little counter productive to rely on a single O2 sensor when running headers since the ecm will never know whats going on in the other bank an has to just assume everything is identical to the bank it is reading .
I'm not trying to be contrary so keep the thoughts coming guys , it's half a new stroker's worth of coin to get into these kits so I really want to take my time and guage as many factors as possible before I jump in , I keep forgetting to grab my cam card so I can get a better idea of the package Affordable EFI will put together since they try to tailor there kits on your particular motor .
PS I am not jumping on the eddy kit unless Summit has a 20% off or better sale eh lol !

I'm also not convinced that two O2 sensors are very necessary. After all, most intake manifolds are NOT divorced side to side, but rather either 360 or 180. If you get the O2 right on whichever side, you can tell what's going on by comparing plug readings cylinder to cylinder

So far as a "complete" kit, you pretty much pays yer money and takes yer chances. One problem I have with some of the outfits is that they are (were) not all that programmable to much different engine setup changes. That's one thing the Holley HP/ Dominator takes care of, as you can set it up lots of different ways, and later, if you change the hardware setup, you just reprogram the thing.

But you sound like you want more of a turn key deal, and for that you have got to get the checkbook out.

Just so you know, sequential fuel injection goes batch fire in upper RPM or WOT. Take the time to learn the basics of EFI. (It doesn't matter who's system it is, the basics are absolutely the same). Most aftermarket systems are based on GM components, so study up on them and learn what they do. No engineering course needed, just a little homework. It will help you in the long run.

Also, don't be too hung up on the "choke" thing. Most ECMs will have separate mapping for cold start/running vs. closed loop normal operating temp.

thanks guys , The reason I started this thread was to learn and I'm not hung up on anything really , I understand the basics are the same and it's going to cost for a turn key setup , I 'll look into the Holley setup before I comment , the sequential part of the equation is more what the suppliers are selling not my wanting sequential , I would like to get the setup with the most control over whats going on I just don't know enough to start buying bits and pieces to cobble together a system myself . I am using the eddy proflo2 as a reference point since it claims to be complete including a distributor and fuel pump , they even have a sump setup that eliminates the return line to the tank which seems like an interesting solution to having to drop the tank and run new lines.

just checked out the dominator and again it's an ecu box being sold separate from the rest of the stuff needed to build a system , it is a very cool box but all the Holley systems I can find on their site are shivy specific each designed to mate up to a specific shivy head so I back to the 2 multi point setups I have mentioned above , I'm not done looking and learning yet tho eh .

edelbrock also has an advanced management box that can handle dual O2 as well as boost control , 4 stages of Nitros and just about every other kind of sensor you could think of but it is an add on for their Proflo systems called the proflo sportsman system , they also have another setup called the Quicktime data system but these are all control parts and require a system to control . I'm going to call Affordable and try to get someone on the phone who can nail down what I need and how much they want to supply it .

-
Back