Shae's '68 NB Fish

-
Notched the K-member today (well actually had to notch it 3 times)and played around with trying to get the motor mounted in right, its going ridiculously slow because i'm getting frustrated. Tomorrow play around with shimming and hopefully have it mounted in right.

Keep it a hobby......... if you start to get frustrated put it down for awhile. I have been there done that so I know what Im talking about.

Keep it a hobby
Keep it a hobby.... lol

Keep telling myself that but my fear of having it apart 10yrs from now, carting its carcass from one house to the next has me putting in overtime on it. Hopefully once I get past these motor mounts and the front clip/firewall things will go easier. Those are the 2 things that i'm pretty much pulling out of my wazzoo.

Speaking of the devil I better go back in the garage and see if I can get some more done.

I just saw I missed your phone call on sat, whats shaken?

(Can't talk tonight but tomorrow I could)

I just saw I missed your phone call on sat, whats shaken?

(Can't talk tonight but tomorrow I could)

Not a whole lot just been working on the car,
was callin just to shoot the **** see how you were doin. :)

Soooooooooo grrrr
updating now because I wasn't in the mood last night. In fact I may take the entire weekend off.

Started early, and decided to do my welding cart, came out pretty nice if I may say so myself. Quick, easy, effective.

Than moved onto the motor mounts, got everything sitting in just right, pulled the mounts out solid welded the shims onto them, took longer than I expected had a lot of welds to redo, and I suck at welding.

Put the mounts back on the motor dropped everything in to tack the mounts onto the K frame where they are supposed to go, and somehow lost 3/8" at the heighth! Cant find where it went it just disappeared into thin air.

Actually now that I think about it the pass side of the crank reads 3/8" low, the drivers side only reads 1/8th low....still have no idea how it could have happened but until I figure it out I don't want to weld another shim on and have the same thing or something similar happen again, ill just be chasing my tail.

Welder before.

PA210810.jpg

During

PA210817.jpg

PA210825.jpg

After

PA220829.jpg

PA220830.jpg

My crappy motor mount welding job, these are the decent welds lol

PA210826.jpg

PA210827.jpg

I'm no expert and I like what you are doing. Keep it up.

I need to learn how to weld. All I ever tried was a stick welder and that's all it did was stick. lol

I need to learn how to weld. All I ever tried was a stick welder and that's all it did was stick. lol

Havent tried, stick or TIG yet, in the processes of being given some tig leads that will work with my welder though, that ought to be fun

Havent tried, stick or TIG yet, in the processes of being given some tig leads that will work with my welder though, that ought to be fun

I started taking tig welding classes a few years ago and I liked it. Tig is more about heat control and using the right technique. If you can do 1/2 moon or what looks like dimes stacked in a row. Not much I can tell you I had to stop classes due to health. If you can learn to do that while using your mig it will help.

I think I better stick with the MIG for a while lol having enough issues without controlling feed and temp at the same time lol

Last nights update:

Sorry took so long to do something else on her, but with my previous frustration level I took a nice little break. Went back to it yesterday after flushing the cooling system cleaner from the Jeep and replacing with coolant.

Finally got the motor mounts done, and let me tell ya, schumachers are worth every effin Penney. Had to do .25" shim passenger side and 1/8"~ shim drivers side. All together Im not sure I accomplished much with all this headache. Gained about .5" pass side and probably near .75" drivers side from previous mounting. Pretty sure I still need a hole in the hood, looks like a heater is possible now though, which is a HUGE plus.

Today its prepping and removing the front clip+firewall from the donor, which shouldn't take long(hopefully) than moving on to pulling the current firewall and prepping everything for the new front clip to go on. Took some pictures of the reasons for firewall removal so you guys have a better understanding. Also throwing in pictures of the current motor position, no front clip so it'll be hard for you guys to see a change I think.

My welding is getting better, i'm sure the mounts just look like a glob of weld to you guys, but I figured there was no way in hell I wanted them to break, and I might as well use em for welding practice. Did come up with a nifty new phrase though :D

If at first you don't succeed, weld another bead. :D

PA270832.jpg

PA270831.jpg

PA270833.jpg

PA270834.jpg

PA270838.jpg

PA270837.jpg

PA270836.jpg

PA270835.jpg

Sometimes a small break is needed. And I am glad to see you back and working on your car. Looks like you have your engine set where you want it.

Sometimes a small break is needed. And I am glad to see you back and working on your car. Looks like you have your engine set where you want it.

Yup, all the measurements that I got from schumacher are within tolerance. If I have a problem installing headers after all this, this K frame is getting junked and ill buy motor mounts lol.

doing great man keep at it! i need to do bodywork on my 68 fb.

Thanks!Hopefully can get this sheet metal work done soon so I can start on my body work :) Have a ton of dings and dents to take care of and hours and hours of block sanding lol

You might have mentioned it but what headers are you going to use? I'm not up to date with the various header companies that make headers for big block A-bodies another words.

Going to use Schumaker Tri-Y's, TTI's flow better but are more expensive and if i remember right there are issues with them and power steering.

So here's tonight's update, the front clip+firewall is off whats left of the shell and ready to go on my car. Came off better than I expected, very time consuming. Playing the "Wheres-the-hidden-spot-weld-that's-holding-it-up" game isn't fun, but it came out pretty decent, have a couple areas that im going to have to repair because I had to drill 3ish times to get the spot weld clear, but nothing thats too big of a deal.

Tomorrow is cutting out the firewall on my car, and prepping it for the new front clip :)

PA280839.jpg

PA280840.jpg

PA280841.jpg

Been working a lot last couple days, just did'nt have anything worth taking pictures yet. Firewall is finally out and degreased front end with easy-off oven cleaner. Not impressed, was hoping it did what everyone said and stripped paint off, the only thing it did however was work like a really good, nasty, expensive, messy degreaser. Not a big deal, just means ill have to grind and wire-wheel everything, but was really hoping for it to make stripping the front easier. Next up cleaning under the interior side of the cowl now that I can get to it, the subframe, yanking off the Kframe and upper and lower control arms. Basically getting it ready for the front clip to go on it.

PB030852.jpg

PB030853.jpg

PB030854.jpg

PB030855.jpg

PB030856.jpg

-
Back