sheet metal intake...

-
Pishta that bottom-picture intake in your first post looks to be Tig welded. Do you have a Tig welder or are you gonna try Arc welding this thing?

the bottom photo of the first post was what I was going after, thats a $2,000 Hogan fabbed AL intake with all its TIG welded glory. I used steel and a flux core MIG becasue that is what I had. I have a gas setup but I was so impressed with this new Vulcan Flux wire that I used it. It has very little spatter compared to the old crap I was using. Most of the welds got an epoxy coat to smooth them out and to make certain that they were airtight. I found a store that had 10 minute Epoxy for $1.49 so I bought 6! I only used 1 1/2 of them on this whole project. I cant stick weld so I MIG'd it. Whats up with stick welding? Every time I strike an arc, it sticks?

the bottom photo of the first post was what I was going after, thats a $2,000 Hogan fabbed AL intake with all its TIG welded glory. I used steel and a flux core MIG becasue that is what I had. I have a gas setup but I was so impressed with this new Vulcan Flux wire that I used it. It has very little spatter compared to the old crap I was using. Most of the welds got an epoxy coat to smooth them out and to make certain that they were airtight. I found a store that had 10 minute Epoxy for $1.49 so I bought 6! I only used 1 1/2 of them on this whole project. I cant stick weld so I MIG'd it. Whats up with stick welding? Every time I strike an arc, it sticks?

If you use thin sheet metal, will you have problems with engine/environment heat affecting your induction charge?
Maybe a ceramic coating afterwards?

^^^ I dont think EFI gives a rip what temperature the intake is, it bases its calculations on the intake air temperature (IAT sensor) and MAP, then it meters the duty cycle of the injector right above the intake valve. In a turbo application, your going to be running the IAT a little (a lot) hot due to the heat of compression, but that goes away when your not under boost. Your IAT's will fluctuate probably 70F from idle to 7 psi boost. In a carbed app, it may be more of a factor. I bet they run like crap in the cold under a carb.

Mezier sells the inline and Holley sells the remote for a supercharger application.
Thanks! But I didn’t see it in there on line catalog. Do you have a part number handy by chance?
Whats up with stick welding? Every time I strike an arc, it sticks?
I learned stick first and it is just a matter of finesse and learning that. Once you get it, your good to roll.

Last edited:
7134WIN
Weiand line under Holley

Weiand 7134WIN Weiand 6-71/8-71 Supercharger Remote Thermostat Housing

Im going to make one out of an IP66 (NEMA-4x) cast AL waterproof box. IP66 is good to 16psi. I found one thats just the right size to mount a slants cast iron 90 water neck to on top and 2 -12 AN fittings into the sides. The cast 90 has a relief for the thermostat so I dont have to cut one into the box. Thanks for the idea Weiand!

Last edited:
Hmm have been considering doing the same thing for a while, but have the benefit of a milling machine, metal cutting band saw (horzontal/verticle) and 1/2" 6061T6 plate from pevious projects. Will be interested in seeing how it works out for you.

7134WIN
Weiand line under Holley

Weiand 7134WIN Weiand 6-71/8-71 Supercharger Remote Thermostat Housing

Im going to make one out of an IP66 (NEMA-4x) cast AL waterproof box. IP66 is good to 16psi. I found one thats just the right size to mount a slants cast iron 90 water neck to on top and 2 -12 AN fittings into the sides. The cast 90 has a relief for the thermostat so I dont have to cut one into the box. Thanks for the idea Weiand!
Thanks, I was looking for that in the wrong place. Right piece wrong place. LMAO!

I would think after handcrafting that manifold that you don't just see two water necks with a piece of metal in between with holes drilled in it for metering ports?
I think the manifold is bad *** first and foremost.
Next design....put the TB higher and integrate the coolant crossover. Just a slight oversite on my part......:lol:

LOL!

Nothing a sawzall and a welder can’t fix.

-
Back