She's Killin Me Here ... Could Use Some Tips on Living With the Elderly

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
As some of you may already know, Billy's mom moved in with us a month ago today following the unexpected death of her husband.

Outwardly she doesn't seem depressed or even in mourning; she's only cried a few times in the last month that I know of. Basically her behavior is so strange sometimes that I've had to wonder if she's just still out of it or is instead showing signs of Alzheimer's. I've never spent a lot of time around older people or those who've lost longtime loved ones and just don't know what to expect or how to deal with it. She stayed with us for three weeks in August after her husband fell down and broke his hip and she never acted like this then.

She falls asleep on the couch at all hours of the day, usually starting around mid-afternoon. By 7 or 8 at night, she's about ready for bed! I've always been a night owl myself, staying up late getting things done and/or working in the shop, and I rarely go to bed before midnight -- it's usually closer to 1 or 2 a.m. Just a couple examples of what we've been dealing with the last few weeks ...........

Sunday morning at 6:55 the medical alarm (you know the commercials -- the "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" thing) shrieks us awake with its eardrum piercing siren and computerized voice screaming "EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY!" Billy launches out of bed, hits the silencer button on the machine, walks a few feet down the hall and finds his mother standing in the doorway to our office (which is in the process of becoming her bedroom). She said "There's a man in my room wearing overalls and he won't talk to me." Of course, there was no one in her room.

This morning at 4:03 she's outside our bedroom door whispering "Billy! Billy! Billy!" I told her 'I'm awake Vert -- what do you need?' "Billy needs to help me. I can't wake my daddy up."

She's 83 years old. Her daddy's been dead for a very long time.

And I've been awake since 4:03 this morning. It wasn't much of a night after going to bed at 12:45, I can tell ya that much. I'm lucky if I get even a few hours' sleep -- she's up pretty early every day anyway it seems and crashes around the house until she wakes us both up. In the last month I think I've slept 7 hours at a stretch twice. This is almost worse than having a newborn baby in the house.

We've been trying to keep her awake longer in the evenings (so we can get some rest) by postponing supper and trying to come up with things to keep her entertained other than Encore Westerns and The Game Show Network ... but I think those two channels are the only ones that work on my tv anymore. I tried cleaning the house on Saturday with my usual Classic Rock station on the Music Channel which keeps me motivated and makes it go faster ... that lasted about 40 seconds before she snatched the remote and turned it back to westerns.

I'm trying REALLY hard to be accommodating, understanding and patient but with only a couple hours of sleep every night it's honestly wearing on me hard. I'm testy, can't seem to concentrate on ANYthing, can't get any work done, and have been so uncharacteristically bitchy it doesn't even feel like me anymore. I'm avoiding phone calls even from my own daughter because I'm petrified I'll go off on somebody who doesn't deserve it. I can't take much more of this ... it's only been a month, and there's no end in sight. She's here for the duration now. Business is suffering, Billy is suffering -- he doesn't want to put her in a nursing home, and I don't either (she's normally a great lady who's fun to be around) and I'm suffering too. Vert just sits there on the couch with her westerns and her Bible, and seems oblivious that we're hurting or concerned about her. When he asks about her weird early morning behavior she just says she must have been dreaming. [And sleep walking too apparently???]

I hope by this thread I can get some feedback from others who've been in a similar situation. I appreciate all the prayers over the last few weeks folks but if there's one for a couple days of SOLID SLEEP I'll take all of those I can get. This is gonna kill me.

Well Leanna, I can't offer much advise here for you but I will send prayers your way and a BIG >HUG< to cheer you up! :glasses7:

It has to be hard to deal with that, you want the best for her, but it's wearing you both down too. Hopefully time will help her adjust more and that she comes around. I imagine Billy is having a tough time too seeing his mom like this, hopefully good changes are ahead for you!

Now, take some N-Quill and go to sleep lol

you mentioned that she has here bible with her alot...... does she go to church much? alot of churches have activities that are outside of services. i know alot of them could even accommodate transportation (so you dont have to drive her to and from). this might get her out of the house and give her something to be excited about. just a thought.

Leanna take her to a Doctor and get her checked out. If she is in the early stages if Alzheimer she will need outside care like a nursing home. My Grandfather had Alzheimer and ended up in a nursing home after several attempts of him being out in town to guy groceries.The first warning sign was when he left his keys in his car and it was stolen. The last visit I had with him he thought I was a little boy again. the wife and I took our sons to see their great grandfather he didn't know who they were.

well one alternative i can think of is if she gets social security or ssi or both she could be set up in her own apartment with a live in care giver to check on her i know it still sucks and would be hard to do but at least she would still have her own place and wouldnt be in a nursing home. just a thought i figured id run by you sorry for you all and his moms situation sounds really sad. i know i would go nuts if my mother was like that she is on her way to that age but so far so good thank God.

I agree with Rebel. If she's getting alzheimer's,she'd probably be better off in a nursing facility. My neighbor had it and a few time's didn't know how to get the key out of the ignition of his car or thought he had problems with the furnace and was nothing wrong with it. Like Keith said...prayers and hugs to you and hope everything turns out well.

I don't know all the answers but one key thing is talk with Billy and get the family dynamics agreed upon. Basically, you and he must maintain a united front, while at the same time he is the one who does the 'discipline.' That way you don't become the bad guy.

Also I agree if possible she needs interaction with other people.

First take care of yourself- this is NOT being selfish. You need good sleep& nutrition. You two should each take turns at night to take care of her if needed so that one of you will get a good nights sleep.

As for your Mother in law, she may need some medical attention or at least maybe something to help her sleep- at the least she sounds sleep deprived & depressed too. So take her to the doctor. We could have a long discussion about doctors but you'll need to make sure they give "real" help (for example every time I have sinus infection they tell me it's allergies & I have to be bit of a jerk to get antibiotics).

Leanna,

My Mom has dementia; it comes on slowly and only gets worse with time. Google dementia (look for a good medical site to research) and see if the symptoms describe your mother-in-law’s behavior. Mom got so bad we had to place her in a care facility for the elderly, she resides in the dementia ward. She will be 90 in a few weeks and her dementia really didn’t start until this last year, mostly because of falls and sickness.

My father passed away in 1997, my parents were married over 50 years. It took my Mom over a year to get through the grief; she was in her mid-70s at that time. Mom had depression pretty bad for quite some time.

She would come and stay with us for months back when she was healthier. She lives in Michigan, that's where I was raised and all my siblings still live there. So my brother and I would do the "blue hair transfer" to give my brother a break. Mom didn't suffer from dementia back then, but she could be a bit of a pain at times...I guess that's just the way some old folks can get.

Tell Billy he may want to take her to the family doctor to get he checked for the confusion (seeing people who are not there) and checked for possible depression.

Good luck.

I first would get her to the doctor and find out what is going on, then go from there. I have not yet had my parents but my great grand mother just before she passed started acting like that and my other grandma started doing that also. I know this was not much help but I will keep you in my prayer and hope that all works out for the best!!!!! take care

i agree 100% you need to be taking care of yourself first. i dont have any real experience to offer but there are some great suggestions here in this thread. prayers for everyone Leanna

I would call the local Hospice. They should be able to point you in the right direction for helping her deal with the grief. I'm sure a trip to the doctor and/or psychiatrist would be helpful, too. She needs to deal with the grief, and some meds may help, too.

Unfortunately, in my experience, as people get older, their sleep habits shift toward getting up early, and going to bed early. That may be something you'll need to learn to deal with. When I'm sleeping in the same house with my nephews, I put in ear plugs. It's the only way I can sleep past 6:00 am.

As far as the TV goes, I don't know what your space is like, but I have a friend whose father was living with them, and he had his own TV, and they had it setup with headphones, so he could blast westerns all day long, and not affect anyone else.

I lived with my father for a while as he was getting older, and it was like we traded places. He was the child, and I was the adult. He did everything he used to yell at us for when we were kids. He'd leave the front door open, stand in the fridge while looking for something to eat, leave lights on all over the house, etc. It was strange. I do think he was starting down the Alzheimer's path, but cancer took him first. I know that after caring for his uncle with Alzheimer's for years, he would have rther gone quickly, like he did.

I like the suggestion that someone else made, too. Check into local options for seniors. I know my grandmother loved the times she got out to socialize after my grandpa died. Unfortunately, she needs to grieve, and can't be forced along. I wouldn't be too freaked out by the nighttime episodes. I'm a sleepwalker. I can have entire conversations with people, and act out dreams. The grief may have kick-started some of this activity for her.

Anyway, good luck. You definitely need to get something figured out.

Hi Leanna, this is Ernie, my suggestion is to look for a church or senior center to take her too during the day, she would benefit from hanging out with older folks even if it is for a few hours a day, for activities that they all can do together, most senior centers or parks have schedules of things to do. and in the process it would give you and billy time to get things done, this way she might have a schedule, and she might be tired by the time she gets home and is ready for dinner and bed..

My wife works in a nursing as a CNA, It sounds like the beginning signs of Dementia or Alzheimers. Best to get her to the Drs.

Could this be a side effect from some medication she's taking? I say definitely get a doctor involved and like others said, she probably needs to get out more among people her age.

Seeing no end to this is going to drive you crazy Leanna :pale: and I wish I had the wisdom to send you to make things better :-|
I have been reading all the posts here and for the life of me I can't think of anything to help with this, but I do know this is not healthy for ether of you or her..
One thing I have experienced is a home is that A Home, it will never be a home with folks living with you, I have dun this to help family (brother inlaws and such) in need and all it seemed to do is
was make my home just a building to eat shower and sleep in :eek:ops:
My grandmother lived with my wife and I for 3 months and it all went fine as long as I could leave her alone and visit with friends and such, but it really took a toll on my life style and my children,I was blest that my grandmother 83 at the time new she needed to stay with a sister and let us get back to the real reality of having our own space and raise our sons and have company over.... she stayed with her sister for about 2 weeks and moved into a retirement villa that had in house care with some folks her age that kept her busy and happy.
This did take some time for her to realize that this was best and she liked it.
We would visit sometimes just to see she had company and doing much better with in 2 weeks... She even started taking better care of herself, started telling jokes and made new friends.. This is the way JMO..
They don't like living in someone else'es home I believe. Like a child we have to make these decisions for them, and we felt bad for doing it as she demanded it to be dun anyway , but deep down inside she was scared at first till she seen folks her age and going places with them by transit that was provided

Keep your health Leanna, you are getting spread way to thin :sleepy3:
and robing yourself and Billy of a life that I am sure she would not want to do.. :sad:
she is confused and lost and it's time to show her the way to this part of her life, I really believe she will thank you for it after she finds herself around folks her age and except the new way of living :glasses7:

Prayers will be sent out for strength and wisdom for you and Billy and
will be looking forward to seeing this behind you as she moves forward :happy10: Grandma started going back to church with her new friends and this was a big happy time for her.

Billy, my brothers and mom felt bad to have to do this but and it was hard on us at night thinking this is terrible that we put grandma in a old folks home
and I understand you feeing this way... You are a good man and doing what your hart is telling you, But we found out it was harder on us then it was on her, Love her and do all you can brother, sometimes it's best but not easy.

I really think grandma lived a much happier life and longer by making introducing this new way of living life. Prayers for wisdom and peace for you and your home... Your Arkansas brother on the hill. Mike.

Leanna,

My Mom has dementia; it comes on slowly and only gets worse with time. Google dementia (look for a good medical site to research) and see if the symptoms describe your mother-in-law’s behavior. Mom got so bad we had to place her in a care facility for the elderly, she resides in the dementia ward. She will be 90 in a few weeks and her dementia really didn’t start until this last year, mostly because of falls and sickness.

My father passed away in 1997, my parents were married over 50 years. It took my Mom over a year to get through the grief; she was in her mid-70s at that time. Mom had depression pretty bad for quite some time.

She would come and stay with us for months back when she was healthier. She lives in Michigan, that's where I was raised and all my siblings still live there. So my brother and I would do the "blue hair transfer" to give my brother a break. Mom didn't suffer from dementia back then, but she could be a bit of a pain at times...I guess that's just the way some old folks can get.

Tell Billy he may want to take her to the family doctor to get he checked for the confusion (seeing people who are not there) and checked for possible depression.

Good luck.

My wife and I are going through the same issues with my mother-in-law and Demon is correct. This sounds like the onset of dementia and she needs to have a doctor's visit to confirm. This will be a difficult thing to go through. We walk in and she doesn't recognize us or gets us confused with her siblings. Start asking her things like if she knows what year it is or she can spell the name of the town she is in. Working with her to do mental exercises will help slow the progress. You need to also start monitoring her medication closely. They tend to lose track of time and will either over or under medicate themselves.

You also need to search out your own happiness during this. There is a lot of guilt around the decision of putting them in a nursing home. I strongly urge you to search out support groups for yourself during this as it is difficult. I wish you success in finding your way through this.

Prayer helps. So does a good sense of humor... We may be a bit deranged but we kind of find it funny that my mother-in-law is actually quite pleasant when she is being a space cadet with Buck Rogers. She is pretty foul tempered when she recognizes us.

Leanna.
I feel for ya and know exactly what you are going through.
My Father got up this morning at 3 am, started loading random clothes into a laundry basket, got into his power chair and started to head out the door.
He had pajama bottoms, no shoes, no shirt, and one arm in the sleeve of his coat.
My brother lives with them (Mom and Dad) and his dog woke him up just before he got out of the door.
My father see's people and objects that do not exist and always ask's about them.
He frequently heads into his room to get one of his guns because the house is surrounded by Nazi's or Police. (We already removed the guns because of it)
He gets up early and my brother dresses him (usually a 15-20 min job) because he can't stay focused long enough to put his arm out or pick his feet up, and then he pee's all over the clothes that were just put on and has to be washed up and dressed again.
He accuses us all at one time or another of stealing his money and belongings, and swears he is missing things that he never had.
Yesterday he called my Brother into the room to introduce him to his Mother and apologized for not getting her name.

There are tons of other things, but you get the idea.

He is a vet, and has the benefit of the VA and decent doctors but none of it help to any noticable degree.
My Brother has sworn to be there for as long as they need him so he can live in his own house as long as possible, but it's driving my brother nuts.
He can't work, or go anywhere for any length of time so we trade off when I can get over there.

Things to watch for are,

Halucinations (you know already)
Forgeting who people are
Confusion
abnormal accusations
using abnormal language (cussing)

Then, even if you know she has issue's someone needs to address it.

(This is stef, greg's wife...sorry you are going thru all this; it is difficult. I would say take her to dr...she prob has medicare. BUT, i'm not sure they can help her unless she needs bloodwork to determine lack of vits or whatnot. Here is what i would try...Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil from Philippines. You can get it online at nutiva.com or costco. do some research if you can. make sure you get the good kind or it's pointless. Feed her and you! up to 3 tbsp yes tablespoons a day. mix it in oatmeal or put on vegies. or put in tea or coffee. start as soon as possible. the brain needs this kind of fat!!! the drs won't tell you; i don't think they even know. it will probably take weeks of daily doses. good luck. she might need vitamins also. take care)

Me (Greg) again.
Good point that I was going to make is the bloodwork, as it may be just a nutrition issue or chemical imbalance problem causing the strange behavior.

Here is one link about the coconut oil Stephanie mentioned, that explains it's nutritional and medical benefits.
http://www.naturalnews.com/036156_Coconut_oil_superfood_healing.html

The doctor for blood work would be the first thing.

After all is said and done though, you may still have to make a really hard decision.

Yes, the sense of humor is a MUST HAVE.

Leanna, I am so sorry to read this and can truly feel the emotional strain in your post. First thing you need is a couple nights of good sleep preferably in a row.

Mom-in-law needs an appt. with her Dr. with you and/or Billy present to make sure the Dr. knows what's going on.

It kinda does sound like the onset of Dementia, but she has gone thru quite a bit of strain also. Losing her husband, her home & all in just over a months time has got to have some bearing on her behavior.

I hope that you guys can get it sorted out and find a balance with all of the sudden changes in your lives. Any chance you can get a mobile home for her to live in on your property? At least you'd ALL have your space back!!

Take care & prayers sent for strength.........:angel2:

Leanna, I can't speak much on the medical condition of which everyone is offering advice, but I can speak as someone who's recently lost a spouse.

Depression and grief can do funny things to a person's mind and body. And, yes, this all could be grief related. I didn't realize some of the things I was doing until I was able to get my mind right and look back on somethings.

The depression I was in made me do things I wouldn't ordinarily do. I would sit in front of the TV, not caring about the world around me, not even opening the curtains to see daylight. This went on for a few weeks at the most. I would sit and count down the minutes til bedtime (as if bedtime mattered.) I would sleep the night away only to wake up the next morning, feeling as if I'd never slept, to sleep the day away on the couch, barely moving from in front of the TV.

I didn't eat. I didn't care to eat. It's not that I didn't have an appetite. I ate and drank enough to function, but that's about it. I just didn't care. It didn't matter. For all intents and purposes I was committing suicide the hard way.

As for what she's seeing, what's she's experiencing, don't be so quick to dismiss it the "scientific" method, either.

Sarah was with me every step of the journey. I could feel her presence with me a lot. Coming down 24 in TN I could hear her laughing as I took some of the steep curves at better the 85mph, just letting the car hang out. I could hear her laughing when I got my speeding ticket in Florida. I could feel her arms around me and her head on shoulder when I started crying in front of my Aunt Jan, talking about her.

Even Rick had an interesting experience after I left his place in SC.

I've seen Sarah here in the house on a few occasions.

Sounds to me more like Billy's mom needs to release some emotions and consider grief counselling either through the church or someone maybe the church can set her up with.

I can tell by experience she's got some unreleased emotions and grief she needs to get through. Most of you here tell me how strong I am, but the pastor is coming over tomorrow so we can talk.

I've thought about chewing on the barrel of a gun one too many times not to reach out and see if I can get some help. This may be Billy's mom sending signals, that while she might not be thinking about blowing her head off, she's reaching out and seeking help, too. Even subconsciously.

Then look at the medical side of things.

Ya'll have my prayers down there, Leanna, and my hugs.

My grandmother started acting out in strange ways shortly after my grandfather passed away. She has since been diagnosed with dementia and is living in a long term care facility. We often wondered if my grandfather saw the telltale signs before he got sick and would cover them up trying to protect her. But.... As Robert said, grief causes people to act out in ways that we never would have imagined, and this could be the case with your mother in law. I would definately start by making an appointment with her doctor and telling him all the things that have happened to bring you to this point. I wish you all the best, and will pray for a good outcome.

Andy

I normally don't chime in on these kind of threads, but my mom is a nurse working in geriatrics for 35 years, so I've heard a lot of these kind of stories over the years.

You should get her to the doctor ASAP. She could be suffering from dementia or it could be something as simple as her blood chemistry being off.

My mother in law is suffering from dementia and exhibits some of the same kind of behavior you are mentioning, but she also acted similarly once when she was in the hospital and her blood chemistry got way off.

Bottom line is, you're just guessing until you get her to the doc.

If she is suffering from dementia, you need to talk to someone that can counsel you on putting her in a home. As tough as it is, it will be for the best if you can afford it. My father in law can't afford that and has to care for his wife at home and he has no life whatsoever. He is retired, so he has time, but he has nothing fun in his life at this point.

Hi Leanna

My Mom outlived my Dad for a while and while she never lived with us she did exhibit some similar symptoms. Assuming she is not medically infirm, I can tell you that older folks need purpose as much as anyone and if you can ask her for help and she accepts responsibility for something you can live with she will grasp it and focus on it. that might also drive crazy but at least it's a different crazy.

See if she will accept a small responsibility from you or Billy and if she completes it and repeats it then I would say she is not ill. She likely needed a purpose to stop drifting....
Make sure you both (Billy and you) agree on what the thing will be as it should not appear as something you are incapable of doing just something you have no time for.

Say, making lunch because you are busy in the shop every day.

It's a shame in our society that many seniors are left living alone when they could lead useful rewarding lives with family if there was more understanding of the needs of seniors.

Hope it all works out OK.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back