Shifter mechanism -1970 4spd Dart Swinger

-

Big Guy

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Hi, I am posting a picture of my shifter mechanism that is from my 1970 4spd Dart Swinger that I recently purchased with no history. My question: Is this an inland shifter or a hurst. I realize that it is not original equipment for the year of the car. I would like to replace with a bolt on mechanism for console car but not sure what to order?

BigGuy's Shifter.jpg

Can't see the mechanism but it looks like a Hurst. Inland has a hollow round stick with a reverse lock out on it. Ideas Dan? @Dan Brewer

Ok, if it is Hurst, then why the offset? Does it come from another vehicle? B Body??
Probably so. The shifter is close to the same position for most applications. The offset adapter the stick bolts to makes it all work for specific cars.

Looks like a home brew 'solution.' The mechanism likely came out of something else and someone 'made it work.' Pretty sure that is not a Mopar-specific Hurst handle. Even it is/was, it looks like the handle may have been cut at the bottom and re-drilled for the two bolts.

The regular A body square handle Hurst Competition style shifter is all one piece. It's welded at the bottom and presses into the mechanism receiver.

Definitely a hurst, looks like it was modified to bolt on as mentioned by @rmchrgr and the bracket looks like something I’ve seen before. I believe it’s to use a hurst bolt on handle with a factory 4 speed console.

Definitely a hurst, looks like it was modified to bolt on as mentioned by @rmchrgr and the bracket looks like something I’ve seen before. I believe it’s to use a hurst bolt on handle with a factory 4 speed console.

That might be true but it's not specifically for an A body. The factory A body console shifter was the pretzel looking deal with a round handle, there was no square handle A body console shifter available. Again, the only square handle A body shifter was the one-piece one that is welded on the bottom and presses into the receiver. That one could not be made to fit in a console either because of the fact its pressed in.

B body square handle console Comp + shifter handles (typically #4084) are bolt in (as opposed to press in) and have a 4" offset. There's no way the 4084 handle would work in an A body console though.

The OPs' shifter is a shade-tree job for sure. It's reasonably done but if you're after 'correct' (console or not) just get the right one form Brewer's. Unless they have a restored original square handle/press-in shifter available in inventory, I believe they will sell you a new Comp. + mechanism with a replacement handle (#6836). The handle is essentially the same shape and size as OE press in one but it bolts in.

That said, if the shifter itself works OK and you don't want to mess with it, you could just get the #6836 handle to replace the mongrel one in the pics and call it good. Brewer's has the correct boot and floor-shift bezels too if needed.

That might be true but it's not specifically for an A body. The factory A body console shifter was the pretzel looking deal with a round handle, there was no square handle A body console shifter available. Again, the only square handle A body shifter was the one-piece one that is welded on the bottom and presses into the receiver. That one could not be made to fit in a console either because of the fact its pressed in.

B body square handle console Comp + shifter handles (typically #4084) are bolt in (as opposed to press in) and have a 4" offset. There's no way the 4084 handle would work in an A body console though.

The OPs' shifter is a shade-tree job for sure. It's reasonably done but if you're after 'correct' (console or not) just get the right one form Brewer's. Unless they have a restored original square handle/press-in shifter available in inventory, I believe they will sell you a new Comp. + mechanism with a replacement handle (#6836). The handle is essentially the same shape and size as OE press in one but it bolts in.

That said, if the shifter itself works OK and you don't want to mess with it, you could just get the #6836 handle to replace the mongrel one in the pics and call it good. Brewer's has the correct boot and floor-shift bezels too if needed.
This is originally a non console car. I have ordered the pretzel style shifter handle from Brewers so that I can install a console. This is where I have run into the install problem with the original “offset” where I require a straight up bolt on shifter mechanism. I will talk to Brewers to see which shifter mechanism they recommend to replace this “home made” assembly.

It looks similar (maybe an earlier version) of the Gunslinger adapter to adapt the bolt-on handle (esp. pistol grips) to use with the console.
Abody Manual Shifters Gunslinger
1675562027968.png

Point of interest: Gunslinger was bought out by Brewer's. Last I heard, the adapter was no longer available- but ask Dan anyway. If there's enough interest, maybe they would produce another run of them.

Not sure which particular handle you bought but they do make a "bolt in" console handle that will install directly into your current "bolt-in" tyle shifter. That's what you want here.

I have one of their repro OE type console shifters in my '68 Coronet. Since they make them, it's not an actual Hurst handle so there is no engraved logo. The nice thing about it is though is that it bolts directly into a new Comp. + shifter mechanism so you get the best of both worlds. I love it, works flawlessly.

The piece that the handle bolts to looks like it's from a '69-'72 chevelle Hurst shifter.
Right. Like what I described, the O.P. has parts from a Brand X application that someone made work in his car. There isn’t that much difference between them so its not a stretch. Only thing I’d be a little wary of is the linkage rods. Those are application-specific so you’d definitely want those to be correct.

This is originally a non console car. I have ordered the pretzel style shifter handle from Brewers so that I can install a console. This is where I have run into the install problem with the original “offset” where I require a straight up bolt on shifter mechanism. I will talk to Brewers to see which shifter mechanism they recommend to replace this “home made” assembly.

Brewers has the piece needed to convert your shifter mechanism from the bayonet style to the bolt on style to run the console shifter they sell. The part is about $20, but may as well rebuild the shifter while you have it apart to replace that part. I think it was about $120 to rebuild mine and swap to a bolt on handle style.

You can kind of see it in the pic. It was originally a bayonet style that I converted.

20221230_115847.jpg

Brewers has the piece needed to convert your shifter mechanism from the bayonet style to the bolt on style to run the console shifter they sell. The part is about $20, but may as well rebuild the shifter while you have it apart to replace that part. I think it was about $120 to rebuild mine and swap to a bolt on handle style.

You can kind of see it in the pic. It was originally a bayonet style that I converted.

View attachment 1716044675
I have purchased this shifter handle from Brewers. Now I need the mechanism that the handle bolts onto.

-
Back