shock choice

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i need to replace shocks on 68 dart daily driver i have read that monroes are junk but all i need is basics should i upgrade to kyb or will monroe suffice also i want to raise ride height it was a /6 car now has 318 but i cANT GO OVER A SPEED BUMP WITHOUT SOMETHING dragging i also way a lil bit [300] i know i need to lose weight but is there also a way to raise height thanks

Good thread. I have also wondered which brand is best. KYB and Monroe are about the only companies that make shocks for mine. (Early A)

That sounds like a smokin` deal. I bought a set of four via Amazon, from Just Suspension. Even with a discount for not having the shocks in stock I paid about $115.00 for all four.

ebay first come first served i wont be able to buy until next week but i dont mind guys or gals on this site grabbing deal

If you need rear shocks, these will raise the rear 3/4" +/-. They are priced per pair w/ free shipping. Ride is good and will help to "mask" sagging leaf springs. I've had these on my Demon and just took them off to lower the car when SS springs were installed. I measured ride height with them on and off the car...............

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/...absorber-by-monroe-part-58496.html#fragment-3

KYB's are a great choice for the front IMO.

...........Measure from the ground up to the wheel well lip.........adj t bar 4-6 turns on each side , measure again........take for a good drive, as the front will settle some............may need alittle more adj....1 or both sides..........6 bars will do just fine.........kim.......

If you need rear shocks, these will raise the rear 3/4" +/-. They are priced per pair w/ free shipping. Ride is good and will help to "mask" sagging leaf springs. I've had these on my Demon and just took them off to lower the car when SS springs were installed. I measured ride height with them on and off the car...............

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/...absorber-by-monroe-part-58496.html#fragment-3

KYB's are a great choice for the front IMO.

I put a pair of those on my vert as it came with a heavy duty towing shock from the factory. I thought they worked quite well and they did help support the tired leaf springs.

As far as leafs go, you can have them rearched and contrary to popular belief they do not just "go right back". After time any spring will sag, even titanium springs. I paid $80 to have mine rearched 2" over stock quite a few years ago and they are STILL the same...

,Cliff

For what you are wanting, a good off the shelf gas charged shock will be fine. Saying one brand is "junk" over another is probably kinda innaccurate, since there probably ain't no more than 4 or 5 plants in the world that actually MAKE a shock absorber. I used to use the Gabriel line, because our auto instructor in high school liked them and he was really old school. I don't even know if they're still around or not. I would use anything on a street car from any of the big name parts house. I mean, they all carry warrantys. Lifetime in some instances. You run into one you don't like, take it back. For what you're doin though, spendin money on a fancy KYB or blah blah blah makes no sense. It's your money, though.

For what you are wanting, a good off the shelf gas charged shock will be fine. Saying one brand is "junk" over another is probably kinda innaccurate, since there probably ain't no more than 4 or 5 plants in the world that actually MAKE a shock absorber. I used to use the Gabriel line, because our auto instructor in high school liked them and he was really old school. I don't even know if they're still around or not. I would use anything on a street car from any of the big name parts house. I mean, they all carry warrantys. Lifetime in some instances. You run into one you don't like, take it back. For what you're doin though, spendin money on a fancy KYB or blah blah blah makes no sense. It's your money, though.

Gabriel was a good shock back in the day. I used to sell them back in the early 70's when the "Hi Jackers" air shocks were so popular. They're still around and I found shocks for my Dart. http://gabriel.com/

hello, anyone running q a 1?:read2: mine b/b so 1.18 torsion bars!:cheers:
I,m running the QA-1,s on all 4 corners of my race car,I love the fact that I can reach under and adjust for softer/harder ride.They were,nt cheap,but I really like them over the 3-way CE that you have to remove to adjust.My 2 centos

-
Back