Shocked when I weighed my '68 Barracuda convertible.

-

jbc426

Reaction score
I stopped by a local recycler and weighed my 1968 Barracuda convertible with a newly installed injected, aluminum-headed 408"-stroked 5.9 Magnum, automatic overdrive w/ lock-up converter, A/C, 4 wheel disc w/ big bolt pattern wheels, 8 3/4 rearend and a full tank of gas + spare.

The first scale I drove on showed the car at 3750lbs. In disbelief, I drove over to a second scale which showed it at 3700lbs. Both the above weights are without driver or passengers.

I had assumed it was in the 3000lbs range, but was shocked to see the weight penalties of all my modifications. The car was originally a slant 6 powered ride that didn't go, stop or corner well. As heavy as it is now, the car is quick, fast, handles, stops, corners great and rides smooth.

Attachments

• top down 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 814
  • top down 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 814
Does not surprise me.

Most people that brag about their car weight guess, use poor measuring equipment, or full of BS.

My 68 coupe and it's 3209 lbs without driver, spare tire, trunk mat 3/4 tank of gas.

Aluminum heads/intake, no A/C, aluminum water pump, aluminum rims, aluminum radiator, aftermarket front seats, 1.14" torsion bars, TTI headers and full exhaust, Hotchkis TVS with subframe connectors.

With driver and 15x8 steel rallye spare 3445 lbs

55.62% front / 44.38% rear

All done on very accurate Intercomp one year old digital race scales.

Note: the front scales were able to slide on the surface so there was not any suspension bind holding the front end up.

Attachments

• CudaScale1_17_15Sm02.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 789
  • Copy of CudaScale1_17_15Sm09.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 796
My Valiant weighed 3220 with a 440/727 ,8 3/4 ,and a 8 pt roll bar.i figured it was 3100

I weighed a 67 Barracuda fastback sb a/c car at 2940 lbs for my class project in college and found the center of gravity....

No a/c under the hood, but still had the a/c hevac unit inside...

273 4 bbl, car with a 69 318 swapped in, manual drums all around...

I weighed a 67 Barracuda fastback sb a/c car at 2940 lbs for my class project in college and found the center of gravity....

No a/c under the hood, but still had the a/c hevac unit inside...

273 4 bbl, car with a 69 318 swapped in, manual drums all around...

Did it have?:
Manual steering
Manual brakes
Column shift auto
Bench seat

What kind of scale did you weigh it on?

Did it have?:
Manual steering
Manual brakes
Column shift auto
Bench seat

What kind of scale did you weigh it on?

Manual steering, manual brakes, console, 904 auto with bucket seats and a vacuum gauge...

I measured it with pressure transducers that I had just calibrated.

Manual steering, manual brakes, console, 904 auto with bucket seats and a vacuum gauge...

I measured it with pressure transducers that I had just calibrated.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MOPAR THAT WASN`T HEAVIER THAN IT SUPPOSSED TO BE. the factory shipping weights were no gas, no anything. the 67 b bodies were tanks, we had to fight a 67 hemi belvedere to get it down to race weight. would you believe 3900 plus lbs./? the nhra said (at the time) 3650some odd .

My '72 Scamp weight 3750 lbs. 318/904 with me inside. Heavier now with 383/727. It's amazing how heavy they get.

Considering you went from a /6 to a V8, convertable instead of a hard top, bigger, heavier rear, with a spare tire and full tank of gas, not really surprised. Have you weighed a gallon of gas? Minus that gallons weight x's the amount in the tank. That should add some relief.
Weigh the spare tire as well.

You added over 100lbs going from a 904 to that OD trans. Much heavier.

Torque-Flite Transmissions

A-904 w/Torque Converter ............ #130 lbs.

A-727 w/Torque Converter ............ #162 lbs.

my new yorker is 6620 and that with out 6 people in it lol

Attachments

• Picture 812.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 394
  • Picture 811.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 419
The convertible aspect is hurting you the most, I reckon. All the extra bracing just to keep it from folding is probably 300+

Don't be bummed. Ignore the weight. If you are happy with your upgrades/performance then don't worry about it. That's all that matters. Cool car.

Maybe it has a couple hundred pounds of drugs hidden in the body. :D
Did you get it at a police auction? LOL

My Dart weighted 3420 in full street trim with me in it, that was with a iron headed SM 904 trans, 8 3/4, chrome molly roll bar full exhaust spare tire jack fiberglass hood and front bumper.
Seemed too heavy to me, are Dusters ,Demons and 67-69 Valliant's any lighter than the Darts?

Attachments

• Drag Week and vaction 2013 068.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 548
My duster gutted race weight 2,700 LB's

I think all 3 of our race cars are around 2700-2750 lbs race weight...without driver...

Last time I weight the Dart and Demon they were at 2740....and the Duster was 2780...but they all should be a few lbs lighter.....

need to get a weight on the 73 Duster with full interior...heater ...wipers and all...

My 71 demon 340 was at 3460lbs with me in it but with racing buckets and no heater box, but it does have full vinyl top, console.

-
Back