"Shooting Eagles"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Every year I think I'm gonna get some good shots at the Bald Eagles, which arrive here sometime in NOV and leave either when things freeze over, or sometime in January. My arthritis and the weather, even a light breeze, makes that difficult. So anyway.....

Wandered into one of the local "thrift" stores and this irritating bubbly guy "Well,", he sings out, "and how are YOU doing today?"

"I don't think I HAVE to tell ya, do I?" says I

"Well no" he says

"Well I'm doin' OK, a little irritated that the weather guy lied. It was supposed to clear a little this afternoon, and I was hopin' to shoot a few Eagles."

He takes a moment to mull that over and says "Shoot Eagles? I didn't know you COULD shoot Eagles."
(Bald eagles are protected by federal U.S. law)

"Well," I says, "I DO use a Canon."

"CANON??!! Isn't that a little weird?"

"Well I don't know, ya 'spect me ta use a NIKON!!??"

So I guess he finally GOT it.

SO on the way out the store, I told him, "If you hear a loud click, it's just my Canon going off!!"

"Yesssssssss, I guess I finally got it" he admits.

you should come here during the salmon run you don't need to shoot em you can just walk up and kick em in the backside they're so thick and pre-occupied -lol

Was hoping to get out there but it does not look like it is going to happen. I still have not sorted thru the 500-600 pictures form the last trip out that way....

Attachments

• IMG_3481 (Medium).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 275
Hi, Doug. Very difficult to retain body heat, anymore, and of course you can't operate effectively gloves. I even tried the "open finger" gloves, they weren't enough to keep me warm.

Any little breeze down at the lake makes the chill factor head to the bottom, so getting VERY difficult to do any winter shooting, anymore.

Plus the things move, come and go so quickly, a guy needs to be in better shape than me to snap up there and grab a good shot.

Hell of it is, I finally have some great lenses

100-400L

70-200 2.8 L can be used with 1.4 or 2x extender

and a 300mm 2.8 L, which can also be used with extenders

I guess what I need is a young blond "student" LOL

Hi, Doug. Very difficult to retain body heat, anymore, and of course you can't operate effectively gloves. I even tried the "open finger" gloves, they weren't enough to keep me warm.

Any little breeze down at the lake makes the chill factor head to the bottom, so getting VERY difficult to do any winter shooting, anymore.

Plus the things move, come and go so quickly, a guy needs to be in better shape than me to snap up there and grab a good shot.

Hell of it is, I finally have some great lenses

100-400L

70-200 2.8 L can be used with 1.4 or 2x extender

and a 300mm 2.8 L, which can also be used with extenders

I guess what I need is a young blond "student" LOL

have you tried Goretex bow hunting gloves ? warm and very light almost as light as women's pantyhose

Have you guys tried the cheap harbor freight gloves, they are a mesh style glove -with the fingers & palm area covered in rubber-- cheap something like $2.00 a pair. ,Lawrence

I've looked at about every glove you can think of. I may look into the bow hunt gloves. These cameras have delicate, "easy to bump" buttons, and it's real tough to find a glove with enough "dexterity" and feel.

On my previous body, and the present Canon 7D, I use what many call "back button focus" which lets you separate the shutter button from focus/ metering, and to lock it all just by releasing the rear button. So that is an added "dexterity" problem to deal with.

What we need is, a "big button camera" like the "old folks" (HEY I are one!!) TV remotes.

-
Back