Shorten Speedometer Cable?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I just went to install a new speedometer cable in my 68 dart and discovered it's way too long. Can these things be shortened? Are there any tricks to shortening them?

Thanks!

There is a tool for recrimping the square ends of the inner cable if that's what you need.
You also have to make sure the cable goes back in in the correct orientation.
(So the cable doesn't try to unwind as it drives the speedo)

Thanks. These are the end I have.

Y-803_1.jpg

I have in the past shortened both inner and outer cable.I cut off one end of the outer cable
and duig out the old piece then taken an old pair of wire crimpers and ground them to make a cable crimper out of.
For thye inner cable it is not as easy. After you determin the proper length, before you cut the inner cable solder the cable on both sides of your cut mark. Cut off with a dremel or a cut-off wheel. To square the end is a little more difficult. I had a tool to do it with. Best I can say is get 2 pieces if thick steel and take a file on edge (to cut a "v" in both halfs) put one in vice and the other over the cable and smack with a hammer.

Thats the best I can say it is just easier to get the right cable

You have the standard ends on yours. That means you can go down to the parts store (Orielly's) and get a Chevy cable almost any length you want really cheap. Most car companies used those ends on their cable so there's a wide choice of lengths available. Ebay also have any length you need super cheap, just make sure they have the standard ends like yours.

treblig

NAPA sells a 63" cable for $20
I have a new one in the trunk of my Duster, I can verify the length and give you a part number if you need it.

-
Back