Should big blocks go in A bodys?

-
72BBSwinger ?

The car started with a 448" BB backed by a T56 and ended up with a 6.1 Hemi later. He sold it a couple years ago.

View attachment 1715647420
View attachment 1715647418
View attachment 1715647422
View attachment 1715647421

The whole BB vs SB thing is pretty moot. With aluminum heads, intake and water pump and a set of headers a BB will weigh in at less than a stock SB did. Sure, you can get a SB lighter too, but you can handle just as well if you know how to set up your suspension.
I remember his build. I really like that car. Wonder what happened that forced him to sell, he never really said much about why just “life changes”. Hasn’t been on FABO since 2018.

I only posted because I've had both and know what both are capable of especially with the parts available now. I usually break it down into how fast do you want to go because at a certain point money becomes a part of the equation. Even today owning one small block duster and two big block dusters I know which one I would rather work on by myself especially at my age. Things get a little tighter.
IMG_0442.JPG

In all my born years I've not BB swapped a A-body. This thread has kind of inspired me to consider a BB swap in a Duster. Maybe a 383... Not to see how fast, but how it fits. Hmmm.... :realcrazy:

Don't I have enough projects going on :BangHead:

Back in the mid 70s, a guy gave me his parked 65 Barracuda. When I went to get it, I found out why it was free; he had installed a 383 and there was no ready-fit exhaust at the time, not even logs he said. And he wasn't savvy enough to build headers, and besides that; he had not been able to find someone who was.
And neither was I.
I pulled a few things off it and left it in the bush to rot. I was 23ish. The rest of the car was pretty mint, being low mileage and only 10 or 11 years old.
Later in life, I realized what a dummy I had been, but you know, 23yr-olds are like that.

I only posted because I've had both and know what both are capable of especially with the parts available now. I usually break it down into how fast do you want to go because at a certain point money becomes a part of the equation. Even today owning one small block duster and two big block dusters I know which one I would rather work on by myself especially at my age. Things get a little tighter.View attachment 1715647876

I love the inner fenders. I may copy that idea on my 66.

upload_2020-12-12_16-18-34.png

Back in the mid 70s, a guy gave me his parked 65 Barracuda. When I went to get it, I found out why it was free; he had installed a 383 and there was no ready-fit exhaust at the time, not even logs he said. And he wasn't savvy enough to build headers, and besides that; he had not been able to find someone who was.
And neither was I.
I pulled a few things off it and left it in the bush to rot. I was 23ish. The rest of the car was pretty mint, being low mileage and only 10 or 11 years old.
Later in life, I realized what a dummy I had been, but you know, 23yr-olds are like that.

I've SEEN a 65 with a 440 and log manifolds, so I know it can be done. I didn't look it over with a magnifying glass to see what all he did, but it was in there. This was probably about 1998 "or so".

I've SEEN a 65 with a 440 and log manifolds, so I know it can be done. I didn't look it over with a magnifying glass to see what all he did, but it was in there. This was probably about 1998 "or so".

There was a guy that used to post a lot on Moparts (chassisman??) and ran an early valiant at the track at Famoso/Sacramento with log manifolds on opposite sides so they exited out the front. I always thought that was pretty slick.

I tried to get the two manifolds I have to work on my 66, but between the motor plate and mid plate, it was a no-go. So I ended up buying the parts to make my own log manifolds for now. Once I put the 470 in, I'll build a set of proper long tubes.

D335A5C0-B17B-4808-B4D6-79B2CD9AF4BF.jpeg
8CE17FB4-2400-4F0B-8972-AB152431208A.jpeg
E1EB6F37-160F-498D-B0A2-D2C1A2EE7C39.jpeg
FF334427-3D90-4149-AA92-C4CBC2722C2C.jpeg
5D3E116F-7150-4772-9729-02195695703C.jpeg
3E4DF44F-1B57-463E-994F-6CDAB915DDE2.jpeg
On my othe big block Duster I cut apart a very nice set of fabricated headers to ease install and apart plug removal as it will be using nitrous and plug checking is a must. My buddy that made them would probably crap but I’m all about making things as easy as possible to work on. With a powerglide I can’t even get a flexible dipstick in it to check fluid level. I’m going to make a removable zues cover inside the car and use a 4 inch tube.

I have a 67 Dart with a 440. Hooker long tube headers. It will work.....

View attachment 1715647905 View attachment 1715647907 View attachment 1715647908 View attachment 1715647910 View attachment 1715647912 View attachment 1715647913 On my othe big block Duster I cut apart a very nice set of fabricated headers to ease install and apart plug removal as it will be using nitrous and plug checking is a must. My buddy that made them would probably crap but I’m all about making things as easy as possible to work on. With a powerglide I can’t even get a flexible dipstick in it to check fluid level. I’m going to make a removable zues cover inside the car and use a 4 inch tube.
You never cease to amaze me. Great work.

I only posted because I've had both and know what both are capable of especially with the parts available now. I usually break it down into how fast do you want to go because at a certain point money becomes a part of the equation. Even today owning one small block duster and two big block dusters I know which one I would rather work on by myself especially at my age. Things get a little tighter.View attachment 1715647876

Wish I`d layed my j bars that far over to start with !

View attachment 1715647905 View attachment 1715647907 View attachment 1715647908 View attachment 1715647910 View attachment 1715647912 View attachment 1715647913 On my othe big block Duster I cut apart a very nice set of fabricated headers to ease install and apart plug removal as it will be using nitrous and plug checking is a must. My buddy that made them would probably crap but I’m all about making things as easy as possible to work on. With a powerglide I can’t even get a flexible dipstick in it to check fluid level. I’m going to make a removable zues cover inside the car and use a 4 inch tube.

I see a hood scoop in ur future !

If u aint already got one .
ditto on the dipstick----

I see a hood scoop in ur future !

If u aint already got one .
ditto on the dipstick----

For sure on the hood scoop. It has one that mounts to the carb. This car had a small block (not included in the sale) running in the heads up class when I bought it so it’s required a lot of refitting.

Thought I’d jump in. I own an original bigblock A body that’s had a rotisserie resto. It basically stock however it has a couple of mods to Make it more driveable. It’s a fun car but not a rally style car. It does push into corners and I deal a bit with overheating in temps beyon 80 degrees. Not a car that likes being stuck in traffic on a hot day. Of course cutting the core support for a 26” radiator would solve the cooling problem. That would be at the expense of cutting an original car to replace the original 22” rad.

I’d love nothing more that to do an M Code, Dart preferably. Run the car the way it would of been done back in the late 60s. That would be a kick.

''As for Mr. Norm, he quickly realized that if the 383 would fit in the Dart, then the 440 would, too. He told Scritch he planned to offer Darts with both engines. ''“The fellas on the strip are demanding the lightest type cars with big engines, but not the maximum in a radical engine which consumes a lot of money adjusting valves and carburetion. In my opinion, if you want to sell volume, you have to build for the guy who drives on the street, not the half dozen guys who race on the track. The 426 in a heavy car is definitely not the answer. We figure the 383, properly set up, should pull the Dart into the low 12s. It’s an excellent engine and has a lot of potential.”
002-rewind-mr-norm-1967-dodge-dart-gt-383-rear-three-quarter.jpg

I say NO. Unless your into quarter mile raceing. For a good street car a 340 or 360 is more then enough and you can keep the great handeling.
It all started many many moons ago when even car manufacturer's realized more was never enough.

-
Back