Should I go Big block or Small block?

What motor should I build for my duster?

Votes: 37 6.3%

Votes: 183 31.2%

Votes: 228 38.9%

Votes: 138 23.5%

• Total voters
-

1973DartSport

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've decided to build a new motor for my duster. This will be my first complete engine overhaul. I'm a mechanic by trade, just haven't done a complete overhaul yet. I have lots of motors in my garage to chose from as a starting point. I've got 318's, 340's, 360's, and 440's. What should I build any why? I want some opinions. Thanks!

Image00001.jpg

318 will leave you wanting more.
340 are getting harder to find so you may want to hold on that one.
360 no cons.
440 is it really necessary?

440's are cool for bigger cars, but for an A-body, it will put way to much weight in the front. I would build a 360 because they are cheap and all over. You can also stroke them to over 400 cubes.

I'm a big block fan,but unless you have a BB trans and are willing to pop for the BB t-bars, the Schumacher kit (including exhaust), going with the mandatory 8 3/4" rear end, driveline etc. IMHO You'd be better off with a 360.

Stroke a 360 and have the HP of a big block!The 340,s are also a good choice if you have a couple.Was the car stock with a 340?

360 if you are starting from scratch. Awesome engines.

But I would go 340 if you have one or can score one for cheap (I was told that is impossible though:roll:)

360 if you are starting from scratch. Awesome engines.

But I would go 340 if you have one or can score one for cheap (I was told that is impossible though:roll:)
Im gonna say a 440. I wanted to build a 440 for my 69 Dart but a few friends said it would be a hassle and that I would have more fun with a 340. Now my 340 is a blast to drive but I always come back to MY original plan and wish I had done it "my way" The other scenario would be to build a small block stroker!!

go big or go home. 440 all the way
my swinger is getting a little transplant from the current 360 4spd to a 440 4spd 410 dana.

We have a 440 on a stand and I swear, we have come 'this close' to putting it in something so many times......yet we ALWAYS end up with a smallblock. Maybe someday ;-)

I had everything I needed to install the 440 in my Dart. Then got a 71 Demon parts car with a 340 short block. For some of the reasons listed already I choose the 340 over the 440.

BIG MISTAKE, one it cost me a lot to build the 340

Figured the extra weight and lack of PS would be a pain, already had BB torsion bars and used them with the 340. So I built the 340 so my wife could drive the car with PS.

440 was running and in good condition, needed cleaned and painted

The 340 has never run like I thought it should, been built 3 times now with 4,300 miles

Starting now I would use a K alteration front end, R&P steering, coil overs and either a BB or a late model 5.7 or 6.1

If power is what you want it is hard to replace displacement

A stroker 408 gives BB power with SB size

really build what fits your needs best

Handling
Raw power
Dependability
Easy of maintenance
Cost

318, wouldn't do it, WHY spend the money on small displacement

340 Got one, build it

360 Build a Stroker 408

440 mild cam and intake with headers and run with the best of them

low340RT.JPG

low340RT.JPG

I went with a 318 vote, only if you stroke it to 390. Nice high RPM motor, kinda sleeperish.

318 stroked to a 390 or a 360 punched out to a 408. Can't go wrong with a basic 360 either. Small blocks are alot less headache in a Duster/Dart than a big block, especially when it comes to exhaust.

If you just had to go bb, then forgo the 440 and do a 451 low-deck. Lighter weight and more powerful IMO.

Do you drive it alot? I would think the weight of a big block will take away some of the driveablilty. You can also build a small block with 400 plus cubic inches so why even bother with a big block. I am a huge fan of small blocks in A-bodies. Go with a stroked 360 and just tell everybody it's a 318.

Wow, that`s like asking "what`s the best, blondes, brunettes, or redheads." :D It all depends on what you want out of your car. If you want a car for cruising that is dependable with good gas mileage then build the 318. If you want horsepower on the cheap install the 440 and if you want a quick car that handles well build the 340 or 360.

I actually went through this same dilema. I had a 360 that needed a rebuild, a running 318 (in the car) and a running 400. I was going to either do a stroked small block or a rebuilt big block. I ended up figuring that it was cheaper to the big block than it was to do the small block. I then figured I was going to stroke a small block, might as well just stroke the big block. I went with a 500cu in big block based off a 400 cu in (lighter than the 440)

Old proverb say, " There is no substitute for cubic inches" ......except for maybe a set of 5:12 gears in the rear!:notworth:

I would go with the 440. The weight issue is cold be less with aluminum heads and intake. .

331/354 Hemi with alum. intake and water pump -504
392 Hemi with alum. intake and water pump ------ 564
Slant 6 ---------------------------------------------525
273-340 ------------------------------------------- 525
360------------------------------------------------- 550
361-400 ------------------------------------------- 620
413-440 ------------------------------------------- 670
426 Street Hemi -----------------------------------765

I voted 360 but only because they're far more plentyful then 340's..if you have a 340 already by all means use it..i currently am running a "stock stroke" 360 that can handle just about any big block around :bootysha::bootysha:

-
Back