Should I go Big block or Small block?

What motor should I build for my duster?

Votes: 37 6.3%

Votes: 183 31.2%

Votes: 228 38.9%

Votes: 138 23.5%

• Total voters
-
The engine was built by M&R Engines, Glendale California. They claim to have built the same stroker motor for Boyd Coddington's Bud Lite Roadster. I should have said my experience was on a 350 Chevy small block, and should not base my opinion on that alone. It is good to know that Mopars allow more clearance and require less cutting. That changes my opinon for Mopar blocks but I still feel the same about stroking Chevy blocks. Thanks for the information. I learned something new today! :)

Post #58 says it all.

Oh and I don't know where the poster got the info regarding the early Hemi weights, but it's WRONG. I have one. Before I tore it down, I plunked it down on the scales at the yard where I bought it. Just like the book says. 745 pounds dry. Aluminum water pump and intake ain't gonna knock off 200 plus pounds.

Anyway, I think the demonic seed hit the nail on the head. Build a low deck motor. Better exhaust fit, lighter weight. Same as a 440 but in a smaller, lighter package with better rod to stroke ratio. Most all these people on here blowin their mouths off about numbers and weight are lookin on the internet. They have no clue what they're talkin about and probably don't even weigh themselves on a regular basis. With aluminum heads, intake, water pump housing, water pump, the small starter and headers, the low deck big block will be right in line with a stock dressed 340. An A body can handle that all day long.

360. Inexpensive, durable, parts are readily available and relatively cheap. It's reliable as hell, and can produce economical power that will satisfy.

360 with a stroker kit in it. Aluminum heads with a little porting and a short cam. Economical, easily accrued parts and makes good power.

Have had he same dilemma. I have a fresh 440 in the garage but am going small block. I'd rather have power disc brakes and be able to put power steering on the car if I want. I have a buddy with a 600+ HP stroked big block in a 68 Dart and said he wouldn't do it again based on the tight fit, extra money to do it, and the fact that his car isn't tubbed to handle it!

the problem with a 450 hp big block in an A body is that a 350 hp sm blk will probably go by it.

I run Bigblocks in my Mopars, 383 in my fastback cuda and 440 6 pack in my 63 sport fury.

If you have each of them, you will regret not going big block. They are too cool. Only about 120 pounds difference in fully dressed out engines. The big block can easily be made as light as the small block with aluminum parts.

440 with a stroker kit for over 500CI.

There is no replacement for displacement:D

or you could just go with a stock stroke 440.lol i have a 0.030 over 440 that i can race and drive on 93 pump gas.car weighs 3520 with me in it. my times are in my sig. after owning both small block and big block powered A body's.All i can say is a big block abody is no harder to work on than a small block. I used to have a 71 duster with a 440 that i used to drive all over the place. But to the op it all comes down to what you want to build.I say if you all ready have the stuff for a small block i would build that. There are some mean small block/ strokers out there around. I built a big block because i all ready had the stuff laying around.

400 Stroked to 470 if u have he funds

I like brute horse power and huge torque, u ain`t gonna get both w/ a small block, as it will never have the torque of a stroked big block. coolness factor in volved too!:cheers:

So, how about a decision, already....
FootTapperSmiley.gif

My 2 cents.
Since you only give a choice of 4 engines, my thoughts
are, you can skip 2 of them the 318 and 340 because all
things being equal the 360 will always do everything better.

Again all things being equal the 440 is no more expensive to
build than a 360 and even if it were, no more than a couple 100 bucks.

Installing it into said vehicle is were things start to get sideways.
If you've chosen the 440, you already know you have to tighten up
your game because if you can get it to hook your gonna break everything
from the flywheel back.

440's are cool for bigger cars, but for an A-body, it will put way to much weight in the front. I would build a 360 because they are cheap and all over. You can also stroke them to over 400 cubes.

If a stroker is a possibility i'd agree that seriusly needs to be considered. If is isn't i'd go bg block. I've had 2 440 darts, both 69's. There is really no drawbacks to having this setup and the people who have shunned this option have clearly shown they have little to no knowledge or experience to base their statments on.

the problem with a 450 hp big block in an A body is that a 350 hp sm blk will probably go by it.

:wack:

Guy has no clue. Please ignore...

the reliable, pump gas friendly build that has gotten good reviews over on moparts is the 512".

since we brought back this thread to life from 2010, i might as well link a long but good thread for those researching this stuff
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Racer&Number=7896311&page=3&fpart=all

the real answer to this poll is none of the above, lol. the above thread has guys posting who have been there done that many times

i'll quote one of the racers

I'm sure there are more than one C.I. strokers kits avaible for the low deck 400 blocks, 452 C.I., 470 C.I., 496 and 505 to 512 C.I. depending on the bore and stroker sizes on all of them , how big do you want to go to now? I like the 4.25 stroke kits n the 400 blocks
thumbs.gif
. I have built and driven several of them(4.25 stroke 400 blocks, 505 to 512 C.I.) in the last ten years, the increase in C.I. from a 383 to a 451 should amaze you
boogie.gif
, the 512 will absolutely shock the beejesues out of you
devil.gif
1343795-scratchchin.gif
grin.gif
shruggy.gif
On the four speed car I would buy another set of wheels that match the current ones you have on the rear and put a god set of bias ply street legal DOT drag tires on them for the days you want to be shoved way back in the seat when you nail the throttle to the floor instead of going sideways in a cloud of smoke from the radials
1343795-scratchchin.gif
thumbs.gif
Twocents.gif
I've had both types of the same tires on my 727 automatic Duster with a pump gas 512 low deck, it would flat boil the 315x60x15 M/T ET Street radials on the street, not so on the same size(13.50x30x15) ET Street Bias ply tires
1343795-scratchchin.gif
shruggy.gif
The radials where faster on a good track, not so on the streets I drive on around here. The bias plys might spin a 1/4 to 2 full turns on the hit and then hook and stay hooked, the radials would not recover once they started to spin in any gear, I would have to let off to keep from going sidewasy into the other lane with the radials on the back
shock.gif
The four speed will be much worst on the street than my 727 was
shock.gif
shruggy.gif

Easy choice for myself. 440 or 426 hemi. Nothing else will do. I never felt the need for the stroker motors or nothing to fancy. Add enough high quality parts so you can beat on them when you want.. I do like the multiple carb setups though. Six pack or dual fours.
Solid lifter cams, four speeds and the Dana 60 all a must. Tall bias ply tires are also important. Go without any one of those elements and they loose their luster for me.
I started out in mopars with a 340 four speed in a dart and had a lot of fun with it but I can't go back to the small blocks now as I would miss my big blocks. If you have never tried the big block in a A-body I would recommend you do it at least once if you even have half a notion or you will always wish you did, be warned you will probably will get hooked on them as I have and
have to have several.

-
Back