Should I go Big block or Small block?

What motor should I build for my duster?

Votes: 37 6.3%

Votes: 183 31.2%

Votes: 228 38.9%

Votes: 138 23.5%

• Total voters
-
I voted 360 because you woul get better weight distribution than with a BB. You could use it as a cruiser or race it depending how you want to build it. A 360 with 375 HP or more would make a nice plaything and put away BB too. Depending on your budget the sky is the limit, power wise. You can build it to rev high but be sure it can breathe too!

Go with the 340 if you have one. Great motor not too heavy. Personnally I don't like strokers. They are not natural. Have to cut deep into the block water jacket to clear the rod bolts and sometimes counterweights. My stroker (crate engine), let go in the machined cut between #3 and #5 cyclinders, pumping lots of antifreeze into the oil pan. That sucked!! I sent the block back to the mfg. and they added block seal. Bottom line.... strokers require cutting the block deep and that doesn't make sense. Perfect for creating stress risers and cracks!. You may get more hp from a small block but how long will it last!

Dave M, None of the stroker rotating assemblies that I have seen required very much in the way of block cutting...are you talking about more than a 4" stroke?

Go with the 340 if you have one. Great motor not too heavy. Personnally I don't like strokers. They are not natural. Have to cut deep into the block water jacket to clear the rod bolts and sometimes counterweights. My stroker (crate engine), let go in the machined cut between #3 and #5 cyclinders, pumping lots of antifreeze into the oil pan. That sucked!! I sent the block back to the mfg. and they added block seal. Bottom line.... strokers require cutting the block deep and that doesn't make sense. Perfect for creating stress risers and cracks!. You may get more hp from a small block but how long will it last!

Find a builder that knows what they're doing if you run i-beams the block should not have to be notched..h-beams a different story,but the block doesn't need all that much trimmed..i have both a stroker and non-stroked small block.. the stroker is wayyyy more fun to run..the smile on my face after each run was very natural:-D:-D

i was facing the same problem. i had the choice between an aluminum headed 360 or some big blocks consisting of a couple of 383's a 400 and a stroked 440 with stage 5's and big solid roller. i was going to go small block but had in the back of my mind that i really wanted a bb. one day woke up and just decided thats what i was going to do. i sold all the small block stuff and it paid for everything to put the 383 in my 71 swinger. the worst part is the headers if you decide on a big block. but go with your gut feeling and just do it because everyones opinions are different

The 360 can be built or bought with HP and TRQ of the 440 without the extra weight and cost of parts. You can actually get a 408 Smallblock with big block Hemi power. I had though about putting a 440 into my duster just for the "coolness factor" but ended up having an aluminum headed 360 built with close to 400hp.

I vote 440.
An easy 400 hp out of a slightly warmed over one and very drivable.
It's not hard at all with the shumacher kits available fairly cheap.
Open the hood and the wow factor is there too!

Just go 340 .060 over like I did years ago 1984 yields about 356-357 cu.in. 400+ hp easy before spending some serious cash. Leave stroke alone because thats the beauty of the 340 shorter stroke quicker to reach the power band than the 360 stroke, thats the big block disadvantage. So ur cubes are your only handicap. I sleeved all 8 cylinders to make walls stronger with more nickel content at .060 overbore then you should pick your compression ratio for what your use is going to be. Oh! Go with roller cam too and you can use 360 heads with j production stamping to accept 202 intake valves or the original x stamping with the factory 202 in 1969. Have fun, I did.

I have 2 stroked small blocks 8
1.72(340)with Xheads and a 360 steel crank stroked to 372c.i
2 360 block stroked to 408,Eddy heads P&P,10.5 to 1 comp.,.631 lift solid roller cam.410c.i should be pushing over 500-540hp.We,ll see at the track whether it,ll run in the 10,s?:read2:

SO......It looks like the majority of votes is for the 360, or small block stroker...Have you decided yet?????

Big Block definetly! Prefer the 440 however you may consider the 383 just because of the hood clearance issue with the RB blocks. You can solve the header problem a coule of different ways. If you do not want to change out the front end then stick with Dougs for your exhaust. One more thing you might consider the front end swap for the improvement in handling is worth it even if you stay with the traditional small blocks.
I do understand your dillema since I have recently decided to go with a Big Block in my '69 Dart, now I just can't make up my mind between the 440 or the 426. Decisions decisions. Good luck which ever you choose!

If your looking for speed go small block.
If your looking for even more speed then go big block.

i have not read all the answer but i wonder about the tq or hp is best in a a-body..?
I mean stroke 360 to be a 408 or bigblock 440cui, are a problem with smoking tires and bad track/strip/street time, have you modified the rear end to handle all that torque ?? In my strip/street duster i go for very hot 360 with 500+hp at 7000rpm and no drive under 3000rpm because i want to get good track time.

i have not read all the answer but i wonder about the tq or hp is best in a a-body..?
I mean stroke 360 to be a 408 or bigblock 440cui, are a problem with smoking tires and bad track/strip/street time, have you modified the rear end to handle all that torque ?? In my strip/street duster i go for very hot 360 with 500+hp at 7000rpm and no drive under 3000rpm because i want to get good track time.

Thats why a stroker is much more street friendly then a hp 360 build,the longer stroke makes it more tame on the street..my 416 had very good street manners and ran 11.0's @ 121.. 8 3/4 rear with moser axles 3.91 sure grip pinion snubber :-D:-D

I have both small block and big block A-Bodies. The other side of the big block is the instant torque that fries the tires and requires other suspension upgrades to get it all to the ground and can kill and 8 1/4 rear in a heart beat. The 360 with a 904 has so many advantages even as a stock 2bbl engine in an A body that it is hard to argue as an all around choice that anything else would be a more reliable driver friendly combination. If you wanna fry tires and show off put in a big block. If you want a fast easy to maintain well mannered street car go with a 360 or 340. I actually voted for the 318 with weisco flat tops and J heads!

Maybe I should have said my experience was with a stroked 350 chevy built by M&R Engines. These guys claim to have built Boyd Coddington's engine that he used in his Bud Lite Roadster. I never stroked a Mopar engine so I guess I shouldn't assume the depth of the cut is the same. If you don't need to take much out of the block on a Mopar block, than I have no problem stroking one. I learned something new today! Thanks!.. :)

-
Back