Should I sell

-
Something else to consider: If you sell it now and the dollars you get for it have a fraction of their purchasing power in a month, did you really make out on the deal? Unless you immediately put that money towards another hard asset it very well could be very regrettable.

If you sell that awesome big block 4 spd Dart you will regret it and not be able to replace it. Hold it and burn those back tires off of it.

Some of you guys take the news too seriously. Remember the mainstream media tries to keep us scared and uncertain about the future so that we'll waste our money on new junk we don't need. I'm with @Princess Valiant I'm only 31 myself and no matter what goes on in the world the only way I'll stop wrenching on and driving my Duster is if someone puts a gun to my head and even then it'll take me a minute to make up my mind lol. I agree the younger generations are pretty messed up but you can't generalize about all of us. I have a group of 10+ gearhead friends around my age and none of us would rather drive an EV than something cool and old(er) with an internal combustion engine! Lots of talk about EVs taking over but that's mostly the non-technical sales bozos and politicians trying to push an agenda. I'm a mechanical engineer in the energy industry and went to graduate school (just a couple years ago) with people who now do R&D on IC engines and let me tell you, electric motors may one day replace engines in cars but definitely not in everything, by a long shot! OTR long-haul semi trucks, stationary power generation, jet airplanes, etc. can't do jack with electric motors. I spend a decent amount of time on LinkedIn which is now basically Facebook for professionals and there are a lot of heated arguments on there between the EV pusher d-bags and the smart people who actually know the truth and the details of how energy and transportation work. Some day I'm sure I'll have an EV (which I'll build/swap an old car, screw the new ones) to get myself around but when I want to have fun it'll always be in something with a loud raucous piston engine.

Also if gas prices are an issue, stop using a gas-guzzling SUV or full-size truck as your daily driver and get something smaller and more fuel efficient. My '72 D200 gets 10 MPG but I only drive it when I need to haul or tow something. Commute to work in something that averages 25-35 MPG during the week then blow off steam on weekends or in the evening with your awesome big block Dart.

There are plenty of car enthusiasts under 40 pushing back against the "electrify everything" bullshit and we aren't just going to bend over for selfish elitist jerks trying to make money off of fear.

I'm kinda on the fence about getting out of the hobby too. I've had my Dart for 20+ years and spent 15 years giving it all my spare time and money. Now it sits in the garage and gets driven 4 - 5 times during the summer to car shows and such. Doesn't seem that enjoyable, I spend more time worrying about getting a ding or a scratch, or some moron running into me. I can't park it anywhere and walk away from it for more than a few minutes without worrying about it. Plus we moved to the middle of nowhere southern Oregon, and there's really no where to go. I could drive up and down the highway in front of my house, or drive to town to have lunch and drive home. The car shows I do in the summer, all but one, are a 2 - 3 hour drive each way, and they tend to be in July, Aug, when it's hot as crap out and I still have no air in the car. Face it these cars are not fun when its 90+ degrees out. So it kind of seems like a waste to have all that money tied up in something that sits in the garage 95% of the time. I shared these thoughts with the wife the other day and she thinks i'm crazy. I've always said that I would keep that car till I'm too old to drive, and I probably will, but I still think about getting out, or going to something newer, more comfortable like a modern Challenger, or Charger

I'm kinda on the fence about getting out of the hobby too. I've had my Dart for 20+ years and spent 15 years giving it all my spare time and money. Now it sits in the garage and gets driven 4 - 5 times during the summer to car shows and such. Doesn't seem that enjoyable, I spend more time worrying about getting a ding or a scratch, or some moron running into me. I can't park it anywhere and walk away from it for more than a few minutes without worrying about it. Plus we moved to the middle of nowhere southern Oregon, and there's really no where to go. I could drive up and down the highway in front of my house, or drive to town to have lunch and drive home. The car shows I do in the summer, all but one, are a 2 - 3 hour drive each way, and they tend to be in July, Aug, when it's hot as crap out and I still have no air in the car. Face it these cars are not fun when its 90+ degrees out. So it kind of seems like a waste to have all that money tied up in something that sits in the garage 95% of the time. I shared these thoughts with the wife the other day and she thinks i'm crazy. I've always said that I would keep that car till I'm too old to drive, and I probably will, but I still think about getting out, or going to something newer, more comfortable like a modern Challenger, or Charger
Yep. I'm not ready to give up the hobby yet. I may switch gears and get a early B body which I have never owned (yet). That may light a fire again.

I got overwhelmed with too many cars, too many parts, and not enough money to buy the things I don't have, but need for my cars. Switched jobs, so now I have the money. Had a friend work on a car out of state, and that messed my head up. I found out I like working on my cars, not having someone else do the work. I'll be building an engine this winter, and I hope that when I start putting it in the car, all my issues the last two years will vanish. Nobody wants my cars for a reasonable price (for me), so I'm going to keep them and get them on the road. Only one will get shiny paint for sure. If I'm afraid to drive it after that, then it's all for naught. I want to get that chip or small scratch on it, but I'll drive the wheels off it no matter the case. The rest are all scruffy, so I can set a beer on the hood and not worry. Driving is the important part for me, not having them look like they are new.

That's why I'll likely never paint my Duster. The pleasure I get from that car is from wrenching, driving and racing it, not looking at it (except when parking and walking away lol) or taking it to shows. I'll have at least one pretty show-worthy classic car as time goes on but I can't "get out of a hobby" I was born obsessed with, engines and wrenching are in my blood lol it's part of who I am.

I smile every time I look out in the garage at my 69 Charger, that’s worth keeping it.

Yep. I'm not ready to give up the hobby yet. I may switch gears and get a early B body which I have never owned (yet). That may light a fire again.
Yeah, could be I'm just bored with having the same car for so long. I've always wanted a B-body, Roadrunner, or Superbee, something like that, but it's not happening at todays prices, even if I did sell the Dart.

I restored my 68 GTS H-Code dart, no fender tag or build sheet, has a 68 date coded 383, she’s a 4 speed, I have 28k in receipts, the way gas prices are going I’m wondering if I should bail out and sell, not sure where the market is, I really don’t need the money, but I’m noticing prices of these cars falling and don’t want to say a couple years from now that “ I should’ve sold it “,So what do you guys/Gals think about bailing out?

View attachment 1715884103

View attachment 1715884105

View attachment 1715884106

View attachment 1715884108
The prices of the A bodies hasn't gone down. And gas prices in my area have fallen by over a dollar per gallon. Most A bodies in my area are going for the upper 20k bracket and that's for a 318 car, 340's bring a extra 10-20k.

Gas to drive this is $9/gal here, I get 10 gallons, and mix it 50/50 with non ethanol “Rec” fuel. I guess I could waste my money playing online gambling, but what fun would that be? My mom loves the smell of racing gas, so do I, so who am I to deprive my mom of one of life’s simple pleasures!

096AC5E1-E0B5-4BB8-AB92-9F565C146E41.jpeg

Build them to drive (as in drivers) and find places to drive to! If you love building them, do that. Then sell it to someone to drive!

I got overwhelmed with too many cars, too many parts, and not enough money to buy the things I don't have, but need for my cars. Switched jobs, so now I have the money. Had a friend work on a car out of state, and that messed my head up. I found out I like working on my cars, not having someone else do the work. I'll be building an engine this winter, and I hope that when I start putting it in the car, all my issues the last two years will vanish. Nobody wants my cars for a reasonable price (for me), so I'm going to keep them and get them on the road. Only one will get shiny paint for sure. If I'm afraid to drive it after that, then it's all for naught. I want to get that chip or small scratch on it, but I'll drive the wheels off it no matter the case...

I feel the same as you for the last 3 or 4 years now. But I can't imagine not having an early Barracuda with a 273, 4 speed and a Formula S suspension. I've had one for almost 50 years now. I am going through things and starting to sell stuff I will never use. On the other hand I'm not afraid to use my stuff and don't obsess over scratches or dings. I also grew up in Florida and love warm weather. The wing windows and fresh air doors were always enough for me. I have a 2009 Challenger R/T with a 6 speed, but I love the 66 Barracuda. There is just something about a high winding 273, 4 speed trans, and a Hurst shifter. It transports me back to earlier days.

Last edited:
The prices of the A bodies hasn't gone down. And gas prices in my area have fallen by over a dollar per gallon. Most A bodies in my area are going for the upper 20k bracket and that's for a 318 car, 340's bring a extra 10-20k.
just watched a rotisserie restored 69 dart gts ragtop 340 4 spd console tach f8 green white top matching numbers beyond mint barely get to 41k
same thing beyond mint 71 demon bahama yellow 32k
if you pay upper 20s for a 318 car hardtop your a fool

just watched a rotisserie restored 69 dart gts ragtop 340 4 spd console tach f8 green white top matching numbers beyond mint barely get to 41k
same thing beyond mint 71 demon bahama yellow 32k
if you pay upper 20s for a 318 car hardtop your a fool
I wouldn't pay that for a 318 car of any kind. As I said earlier, there's a 1974 gold duster 318,ps,pdb,ac, low mileage original survivor and they are asking 42k. I think that's a pipe dream. Another clean duster 318. 30k both cars are in Illinois and I don't think they are worth anywhere close to the asking price.

I'm huge proponent of "things should have a use and be used". Now what that use is, is open to personal interpretation. So uses like "it makes me happy" can be completely valid as can the option to pay off debt.

So, if it doesn't have a use, or it doesn't fulfill that use well, something (in my opinion) should be changed. Doesn't mean necessarily get rid of it, but identify what needs to change to make it work and decide how to fix it if possible.

The trick is being honest with yourself. My goal ("use") for my Duster was a road course capable daily driver that I can occasionally take to a car show. But even when the local road course was open I made it exactly once and only as a spectator. So my proposed reason for owning the car was probably (certainly?) not realistic.

And the "daily driver" label also presented a problem as the car doesn't get great mileage, is hot in the summer, loud and easy to steal. So, after identifying those issues, I can start looking at the methods and costs to fix those and then decide if I want to pursue the fixes or jump ship and buy something that does fulfill the perceived needs I have.

In my case, fixing and adding things to my Duster is more fun, avoids a car payment and can be done over time. But for some, the idea of driving something fast, comfortable, safer, and replaceable if something unfortunate happens might make a late model more useful.

But it all goes back to what you want out of the car.

The most enjoyment I have had out of any of my old Mopars was daily driving them. But, I have always lived in the sticks. It would suck big time for me, driving anything in the city!

The old Mopars I have enjoyed driving the most were the ones worth the least!

I guess IF i had to have just one old Mopar I would be more picky. I have always had 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or.......
If I had a lets say, restored, 68 Charger RT worth $50,000 I would not enjoy it as I would ask myself " Are you f**** nuts, sell that damn thing!" But I am old, woreout, retired poor enough, and plenty "conservative!" Now, IF I was young and made $200,00 a year..well then.....

If I had a lets say, restored, 68 Charger RT worth $50,000 I would not enjoy it as I would ask myself " Are you f**** nuts, sell that damn thing!" But I am old, woreout, retired poor enough, and plenty "conservative!" Now, IF I was young and made $200,00 a year..well then.....
Ha, you haven't priced B-bodies lately I'm guessing. I was on For B Bodiesonly yesterday looking at the cars for sale. People are asking $20k to $30K for clapped out piles of junk that need full restorations. And for a real R/T '68-'70 Charger, forget it.

Ha, you haven't priced B-bodies lately I'm guessing. I was on For B Bodiesonly yesterday looking at the cars for sale. People are asking $20k to $30K for clapped out piles of junk that need full restorations. And for a real R/T '68-'70 Charger, forget it.
I just recently spoke with the brothers that I bought, and then traded back, a '68 Charger R/T. It needed a lot of metal work back in 2009 when I gave it back for a truck. I couldn't fix it with what I was making then, and knew it would rot before my eyes, so I made the trade. They just got done buying all the metal it needed, everything but the roof! $19,000 for that metal, and they have a long way to go before it's finished. Sucks I had to let it go, but it went back to the brother who originally bought it, and they won't be selling that car any time soon. It is insane what people will pay for junk, but if it has a vin and fender tag, it might as well be gold. If I was able to keep the car and restore it, I would never have sold it once done. It is one of the most badass cars ever created. I just want to ride in it when they get it after it's done.

I have a pet frog I advertised on FB for $30000 and peole said you ain;'t getting that fool! I have had plenty of 2 ned gen ChargerRTs decades ago and I give a poop about having another, even if I could buy a restored on for $30,000. If I hve that many $ in a toy, I wold not enjoy it. Thats just me.

-
Back