show me your 70's race paint scheme

-
The crazier the better. This is from '71:
white_bear_1971.jpg

Rod, your current scheme is cool, but it looks a little 80's to me. From what I remember from my 70's days, aside from the crazy psychedelic jobs, most of the Mopars did a centered scheme from front to back between the lines below the belt and above the rockers. I know what I saw in those days, but it's kinda hard to describe...:D.

If I see a "Google job" like what I'm talking about, i'll post it for you...

I think that the scheme you are working on looks a bit closer to 80s. The vintage 60s and into the 70s drag cars had more of a tendency to follow body lines when doing multiple color striped schemes. In the 80's that sort of went away and body lines were more likely to be ignored. Today almost every scheme you see is even further away from following body lines where wraps are being used and fit to the cars regardless of shape.

I did a quick search for early Dart race cars and found some pictures. The name to be associated with the car generally looks best if predominant on the sides. And of course if there was a sponsor, it was usually depicted fairly large too. Often the make (such as DODGE or PLYMOUTH) would grace the fenders or quarters.

View attachment 6dd945974fcc7748e13c3df8ae822dd7.jpg

View attachment 12-11-2011 08;16;00PM.jpg

View attachment 65_Dodge-Coronet-Honker-DV-10-MB_001.jpg

View attachment 110-vi.jpg

View attachment 1966-dodge-d-dart-stock-view.jpg

View attachment 3793967.jpg

View attachment AFXers_03_1500.jpg

View attachment Canary66valiant-williamson.jpg

View attachment Capture.jpg

View attachment CharlieAllen65LongDart.jpg

Good stuff above from 1967 Cuda !!!

Not your car, but some schemes like I remember from my early days.....

Attachments

• Mop8.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 658
  • Mop7.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 629
  • Mop6.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 585
  • Mop5.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Mop4.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 604
  • Mop3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Mop2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 593
  • Mop1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 585
  • Mop.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 632
I think that the scheme you are working on looks a bit closer to 80s. The vintage 60s and into the 70s drag cars had more of a tendency to follow body lines when doing multiple color striped schemes. In the 80's that sort of went away and body lines were more likely to be ignored. Today almost every scheme you see is even further away from following body lines where wraps are being used and fit to the cars regardless of shape. I did a quick search for early Dart race cars and found some pictures. The name to be associated with the car generally looks best if predominant on the sides. And of course if there was a sponsor, it was usually depicted fairly large too. Often the make (such as DODGE or PLYMOUTH) would grace the fenders or quarters.
He is looking for '70s schemes. While all the ones you showed are cool, they are all from the '60s.

Good stuff above from 1967 Cuda !!! Not your car, but some schemes like I remember from my early days.....

A lot of very good examples of the 70s there. Back then a custom painter would design the stripes and lettering to fit the car. - And my personal opinion is that was when they looked the best. Nowadays there's just a jumble of computer generated graphics plastered over most cars. NASCAR is a prime example. But in NASCAR the vehicles so closely resemble one another now that they don't have those unique body lines like they did in years past.

NOW

View attachment 183557-0-600.jpg

View attachment mlp_friendship_in_nascar_restart__b_and_p_r_us_car_by_acspeeddemon-d66qq0v.jpg

View attachment Transformers-Nascar-071.jpg

View attachment wallpaper-mortal-kombat.jpg

THEN

View attachment 1969-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-NASCAR-Race-Car-Hemi-Orange-rvl-_WPC-Museum_-_Chrysler-Group_.jpg

View attachment 70EastTenn2_1.jpg

View attachment Capture.jpg

View attachment used_1969_dodge_charger_daytona_0_miles_96635142651857880.jpg

View attachment ept_sports_nascar_marbles-384810580-1296219967.jpg

you want 70's , here are 70's

Attachments

• zb5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 601
  • uv47.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 612
  • new26.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 629
  • kegan18.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 559
  • kegan3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 633
  • clone19.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 624
  • bb84.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 691
  • bb57.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 618
  • bb53.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 643
  • az36.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 626
He is looking for '70s schemes. While all the ones you showed are cool, they are all from the '60s.

I was trying to find schemes painted on early Darts. I know that most of those were from the 60s but a few of those cars continued racing into the 70s. By the 70s the early Darts weren't seen as much on the tracks so it's really hard to find examples of them in the 70s.

A lot of very good examples of the 70s there. Back then a custom painter would design the stripes and lettering to fit the car. - And my personal opinion is that was when they looked the best. Nowadays there's just a jumble of computer generated graphics plastered over most cars. NASCAR is a prime example. But in NASCAR the vehicles so closely resemble one another now that they don't have those unique body lines like they did in years past.
Today's NASCAR, as well as most other race cars are just plain ugly with the stupid "wraps". Bring back the cool simple stuff!
2201-1.jpg

I believe this might be late 70s eary 80s

Attachments

• 10348287_732085876850884_3140275902354322634_n.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 587
you guys have have done terrific with these pics. I cant wait to see what else may get posted as the weekend goes on. Yea, you could be right as my thoughts could be more of the late 70's earliy 80's. I was 16 in 75 and started going to the drags in the early 80's. So many of the cars I saw in those days would have been the later 70's scheme. Doesnt matter as race car schemes from that era are all cool. Thanks and keep them coming! Rod

There are examples of great looking race car paint schemes in every decade. - And not every car in each decade followed the same guidelines for how they laid things out. The really wild paint jobs that included flames, lace, scallops. fish scales, stripes, murals, metalflake, gold leaf, candies and pearl come to mind.

Years ago I wanted to get into custom painting and I bought and read almost every book I could find on the subject. One of the best I read was called RACE CAR GRAPHICS. One of the things that they stressed in the book was contrast. They said (and I believe) that when a successful paint job was done, photos of it in color AND in black and white should all stand out. It ensured that the graphics would be crisp and clear and stand out even in low light conditions.

View attachment $_57.jpg

My neighbor had a 71 dart show car that had crushed glass in the paint and fish gills.

Mine D/Dart currently is painter candy apple red and white mother of pearl. It was done in the late 60's. It was a popular color scheme back then used by many of the D/Dart racers. 'The Politician', the 'Sam Brown Dodge', the 'Ferris-Miles Westlake Dodge' Trans Am D/Dart, 'The Suburban Dodge', and the 'Coronet Dodge' all used the same scheme.

Attachments

• 20140224_163625.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 546
Mine D/Dart currently is painter candy apple red and white mother of pearl. It was done in the late 60's. It was a popular color scheme back then used by many of the D/Dart racers. 'The Politician', the 'Sam Brown Dodge', the 'Ferris-Miles Westlake Dodge' Trans Am D/Dart, 'The Suburban Dodge', and the 'Coronet Dodge' all used the same scheme.

That car is just beggin' for some lettering on the sides. - Looks good!

78 ish my old race car

Attachments

• P7020024.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 508
  • P4140016.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 433
Heres mine areal deal 70s paint job.

Attachments

• amx 2.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 429
  • amx 3.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 424