Show us your home made tools

-
K-Frame holder for moving an engine around the garage...or shop

enginecradle_zps79edb99d-jpg.jpg

Especially handy if you have access to a hoist...
dsc06456_zps758f1588-jpg.jpg

Has been used a few times now, and well worth the time to build.

Not home made but I just did this. When I change oil, I put the drain pan in a plastic mortar box. Now, when you take the oil filter off a Dakota and the oil drips onto the crossmember and runs everywhere less makes it onto the driveway.
Also... the mortar box serves as a parts cleaner.

Very neat thread, with a lot of neat ideas..

Made this light with a magnetic mount on the back and a couple of outlets for working under the the post lift. I've also used it on the engine lift. That magnet is fairly strong as it has yet to fall off of anything, and the lights can be pointed towards the work area.
I also hand crocheted the beer can holder nearly 30 years ago. And the beer in it is all I can afford since beer money is being used to put the car back together
IMG_20210522_161139986~2.jpg
IMG_20210522_161135650.jpg

IMG_20210522_161658467~2.jpg

I'll snap a little tomorrow, but I build a "remote starter"
Two lengths of wire (red and black, doesn't get any fancier then that) with an alligator clip on the end, attached to a simple push button

(The push button was left over from a new gun modified
It was an electric belt fed nerf gun
Real cool, but the motor always ran so it gave away your position
I bought the push button and installed it in the handle, so you squeeze the handle to turn on the motor and the pull the trigger for the kill

Anyways, stuff all that in 8 inches of left over PVC pipe and it even has a handle

bent coat hanger. makes a good oil pan scraper.
Also, I don't really make tools, but I do use tools incorrectly in order to get stuff done.
like using two wrenches to tighten head bolts instead of a tourqe wrench

IMG_20210530_205723830~2.jpg
IMG_20210530_182036757.jpg
I guess this could be considered a tool... If I have the car at a show I can charge the phone (or tablet, or whatever else) in the trunk and not worry about somebody walking off with it if I'm not paying attention. Yeah, I know, could lock the doors and roll up the windows....but using this is easier.
The base is a magnet, and the sockets can be found at any auto parts store.

Last edited:
Here’s my tools for shorting a dana rear I made up. Old floating axel from the dana I cut down plus the setup arbors for saddles from the miller factory gear setup. I welded the 8-3/4 axel bearing race to the floating axel then trued it all on the lathe, cutting the other end to slip in the saddle pieces.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Put together, tighten the slides into the housing saddles, set housing vertical install the axel down into the slides, weld. All square, bearing true. 36” to 58” housing
image.jpg
image.jpg

This wasn't my idea, but I saw this carburetor bench pressure tester in one of Harold Demes's videos. It was cheap and easy to make, and was very handy in setting the float levels & testing the needles/seats. I think the picture is pretty self explanatory, but it uses fuel line, a boat primer bulb, and a fuel pressure gauge teed into the line. Incredibly simple and incredibly useful!

a52tTPfuRgyMCUntT8nP9Q.jpg

Made up a simple line up bolt for installing flywheels. Screws back out with a simple flat blade screw driver.

Especially handy for the neutral balance flywheels and after market balance plates for the 360 external balanced engines.

20210601_200419.jpg

20210601_203347.jpg

20210601_201853.jpg

20210601_204353.jpg

360 ready to mount up to the Engine Run Stand.

20210601_205910.jpg

Ready for a test fire and run in the new camshaft.

20210601_221809.jpg

20210602_171422.jpg

Great idea George! I'm gonna make a WAG....and say the header collector bolted to the left motor mount support is a holster for your timing light. :)

Yep, Holster for the Timing Light.

Handy to have it right there all hooked up ready to go.

Here is another little trick I am doing, using a new Points Distributor for the first start ups on the run stand.

With the points distributor you can see exactly when the points first open and fire the plugs, giving the ability to set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC before the engine even starts.

Will see how close I am when checking with the timing light on first start. The less variables the sooner the engine gets to 2000 rpm and properly breaks in the cam.

Screenshot_20210603-092743_Gallery.jpg

20210602_121210.jpg

Here's a tool that I've used a number of times to install harmonic balancers.
Using this large nut, a 4 inch bolt, and a couple of washers with grease on them it turns fairly easy. Once the bolt bottoms out i can use the stock bolt to press it on the rest of the way.
I always put anti-seize on the crank hub and that helps a bunch.
You probably won't find the large piece at a hardware store. It's used for power line construction.

IMG_20210722_154406403.jpg

IMG_20210722_154358653.jpg

IMG_20210722_154318818~2.jpg

Made up a simple line up bolt for installing flywheels. Screws back out with a simple flat blade screw driver.

Especially handy for the neutral balance flywheels and after market balance plates for the 360 external balanced engines.

View attachment 1715746330

View attachment 1715746331

View attachment 1715746332

View attachment 1715746333

360 ready to mount up to the Engine Run Stand.

View attachment 1715746334

Ready for a test fire and run in the new camshaft.

View attachment 1715746335

View attachment 1715746336
Where did you get the weight?

C217BFBD-F181-4AA6-AEC8-2A1D21DEAB4B.jpeg
Ever want to get that small shot of aerosol just where you want it but can’t reach it because the extension is too short ? Cut a short piece of the extension (it won’t flip off the nozzle as easily) and slip it into a small hose, and the longer piece in the other end of hose (this gives you better control of the end).
Can’t find a small hose ? This one was made with the insulation from a small braided electrical wire with the strands pulled out.
Yote

View attachment 1715788751 Ever want to get that small shot of aerosol just where you want it but can’t reach it because the extension is too short ? Cut a short piece of the extension (it won’t flip off the nozzle as easily) and slip it into a small hose, and the longer piece in the other end of hose (this gives you better control of the end).
Can’t find a small hose ? This one was made with the insulation from a small braided electrical wire with the strands pulled out.
Yote
Love it!!

View attachment 1715788751 Ever want to get that small shot of aerosol just where you want it but can’t reach it because the extension is too short ? Cut a short piece of the extension (it won’t flip off the nozzle as easily) and slip it into a small hose, and the longer piece in the other end of hose (this gives you better control of the end).
Yote
Nice!
small heat shrink tube should work well for the flex hose

-
Back