Show us your home made tools

-
That just reminded me that I have to buy some shrink wrap. Amazon has a package of 580 some assorted pieces for $6.99. So I should have plenty left over for making spray nozzle extensions. Lol, great ideas from both of ya!

just dont use it near something warm or it will shrink and put the brakes on

Oil filter cuter, looks nasty but works awesome, hacked up an old useless flea market exhaust pipe cuter for the cuting wheels, some scrap angle and pinched the bearings off my brake line straightener.

20210917_180113.jpg

20210924_214456.jpg

20210924_214537.jpg

Damn. I wish I would have thought of that. I have an ol Racer Brown 340 solid and another few cams laying around. Probably rusty by now. Awsome idea.
Put some of that moisture absorbing stuff in there with the cam

20211216_034439.jpg
20211216_034442.jpg

Grandpa opened our shop in 1934, one of his best commercial accounts was a Catholic Orphanage around the corner.
The orphanage had a permit to buy supplies/equipment through the Government during WW2.
Grandpa went with them to get supplies and tools to use on the orphanages Merry Go Round (used for the orphans and fundraising festivals)that was powered by a Shack truck engine/trans.
On one of those trips he came home with this compression tester.
I was always told it was for a B17, but who knows???
With it is his homemade Hemi adaptor.

View attachment 1715837904 View attachment 1715837905
Grandpa opened our shop in 1934, one of his best commercial accounts was a Catholic Orphanage around the corner.
The orphanage had a permit to buy supplies/equipment through the Government during WW2.
Grandpa went with them to get supplies and tools to use on the orphanages Merry Go Round (used for the orphans and fundraising festivals)that was powered by a Shack truck engine/trans.
On one of those trips he came home with this compression tester.
I was always told it was for a B17, but who knows???
With it is his homemade Hemi adaptor.

Oh OK, now I get it. After looking at the picture for a bit I see the long copper tube with spark plug threads on the one end, with the open copper tube on the other.

This is the Hemi adapter.

Pretty cool high quality B-17 compression gauge you have there.

Can you imagine doing a compression test up on a step ladder for the B-17 radial engine aircraft.

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆

Yea, watch out for the prop!!!

Lol, was wondering about that. Figured They removed the prop for working in close like that.

Was reading up on the B-17, they said the wings were so big they could walk in them. Then go up to the engines in flight and do some minor service and tuning as needed while underway.

Really interesting article about them, their prodution, how they outfitted them, and the war efforts they were used in.

Crew members had to be tough.

Lol, was wondering about that. Figured They removed the prop for working in close like that.

Was reading up on the B-17, they said the wings were so big they could walk in them. Then go up to the engines in flight and do some minor service and tuning as needed while underway.

Really interesting article about them, their prodution, how they outfitted them, and the war efforts they were used in.

Crew members had to be tough.

No, not on a 17. If the structure and tanks were gutted out, you might (if you were skinny) slither inside them in places, but no.........

You CAN access the wings in the monsterous flying boats, "Martin Mars" and Kermit Weeks did a YouTube on one of them some time back. I know of no aircraft you can "walk in the wings" maybe the old "Spruce Goose" might be close

This is incredibly interesting if you have the time......Note there are 3 parts to this

B-17 wing rebuild........NOTE: The teaser intro video is a B-25 (twin). You can see the wing is nowhere near large enough for even a child internally

Not made with preservatives like the commercial made beers for long shelf life.

Pretty much guessing all beer gives a headache . . the alcohol sucks the water out of a person's brain.

Causing daze and confusion until the brain gets time to re-hydrate and return to sub-par thinking again.

________

Nice job on making your own brew !

No, not all. Bud --ONE-- bud on a warm day ruins my afternoon. I'm not sure what other brands do. Miller does not

I thought that I shared this here before, but did not see it. Transmission jack for use with two post lift. Horrid Fright transmission adapter on a cherry picker. All I had to do was drill two holes and tap one of them with threads. Need to take pictures of my AC testing tools.

cherry picker transmision puller (Medium).jpg

cherry picker transmission puller 2.jpg

This is a tool that I use on many daily drivers. Works best with a two post lift. Could possibly work in a different configuration with a car on jack stands . Having to replace my tie rods knowing that counting the turns in the past hasn't work out in the past. So using two carpenters squares that are c-clamp together. I hold one against the brake rotor and the other against the two post lift arm. This sets the as found position allowing the new parts to be adjusted back to the original position. I also know the the car is not going to move on the lift during the parts replacement so it should be very close to the original orientation. Hard to hold with one hand and take pictures with the other.

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

Hey you guys go

Its a sanding sponge in a section of old inner tuber

20211228_163038.jpg

20211228_163103.jpg

24806ED5-C1A4-4477-8DAE-76AE14A6C8A9.jpeg
8622888B-CCC2-4994-A2CE-0E5C4CB49328.jpeg
Plastic HF creeper gave out so I salvaged the headrest and casters and built one from some leftover hickory flooring.
Yote

ECD487C2-2235-44DF-804B-918FC46CC7E2.jpeg
4A8FE7A9-478B-4537-8722-5F1E164D93F6.jpeg
Another one—-
Made attachment for my press to bend heavier sheet metal. I used it to make the temperature gauge mount from a single piece.

D817A323-A77E-410E-A731-8AB84EE285D7.jpeg
5FE7CA2A-0C80-453F-9C0E-2E41BFD9020C.jpeg
A couple more—
Extendable light stand with electrical plugs and a handy way to keep angle grinders out of the way with a hanger using a piece of angle iron .
Yote

-
Back