show your inline 6 turbos

-

67valiant225

Reaction score
thinking about turboing my 225 wanted to see if anybody else on here has show your pics if you have done it thanks ahead of time guys

thinking about turboing my 225 wanted to see if anybody else on here has show your pics if you have done it thanks ahead of time guys

Here's mine, or actually "ours" (I have a partner in this project.)

1964 Valiant V200 4-door sedan, 225 slant six/904/8.75" rear (3.55:1, Sure Grip)

Block was bored .065" and fitted with Wiseco forged pistons, .167" down in the hole, which gives 9:1 CR with a stock, un-milled head and an un-modified combustion chamber. Steel head gasket, .022"-thick... ARP 220,000psi (special-order, head studs, K-1 198 rods that use ARP rod bolts, forged crank turned .010"/.010" and balanced.

Head is ported and is fitted with oversize valves (1.75"/1.5") and utilizes a homemade header, and an AussieSpeed long-runner intake manifold with a Holley 750cfm double-pumper carb that has a boost-referenced power valve and other blow-thru modifications.

Cam is a Bulllet (brand) flat tappet, solid-lifter regrind with .484" gross lift; 210/210-degrees of duration @ .050"-lift and has 115-degree lobe separation. The valve springs are new, 340 springs to which a small (weak) inner spring has been added. They supply 132-pounds on the seat and 310 open. Rocker arms and pushrods are stock (1.5 arms.)

The oil pump is stock, but a Moroso "Accusump" will be used in service (ads 3 quarts to the system.)

Red line 5,500 rpm

Ignition is by means of a stock, electronic "Lean-Burn" Mopar distributor with no vacuum cannister, and no centrifugal advance mechanism of any kind (the distributor provides NO advance of any kind.) Timing is set at 18 crankshaft degrees and stays there. No "curve."

An MSD 6-AL II module is used with an MSD Blaster II coil.

This is a race car; that "tune" on the distributor might not work well on the street.

Oil pan was deepened 2.5" (sump only) and baffles added to preclude starvation under hard deceleration. It has a modified pickup for accommodating the deeper pan.

A SnowPerformance Stage I Boost Cooler alcohol/water injector was added to battle the tendency to detonate under boost. A front-mounted intercooler is used to help cool the charge.

The turbo is a 66mm Turbonetics (T-4, I THINK; not sure.)

An appropriate size external waste gate was fitted to the header.

The transmission is a 1973 Slant 6 904 with a 2.74 first gear and a reverse-pattern, full-manual Turbo-Action valve body.

The converter is a 3,500rpm-stall, Hughes

7290 U-Joints are attached to large-size yokes on both ends of the 3"-diameter driveshaft, while the axles are Yukon high-strength units with Green bearings.

CalTrac traction bars, 50-50 shocks and weld-in subframe connectors are used with 90-10 front shocks and aftermarket disk brakes in front.

A six-point roll bar was welded in and a driveshaft loop added.

The fuel system consists of a Summit 8-gallon fuel cell, two inline filters (one before and one after the Walbro GSL392 electric pump,) and an Aeromotive boost-referenced fuel-pressure regulator, set at 6psi.

The alky injector (BoostCooler) is adjustable, and will be set to start spraying at at 10 psi boost.

The car weighs 2,680 pounds without a driver. It has a fiberglass hood and no front bumper, no rear seat and lighteight front buckets. A Turbo-Action "Cheetah" floor shifter is used.

It has an electrically-driven fan and water pump.

Slicks are the biggest we could get to fit (9"-wide, 26"-tall on 8"-wide rims.) They are Hoosiers.

Coil-spring accesssory "helper springs" raise the rear for added tire clearance.

Our engine is 233 cubic inches and is a copy-cat attempt at motors run by both Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson. Their engines make good power and we are hoping to emulate their success, to some extent, with ours.

Ryan's '66 Valiant weighs about 2,900 pounds and runs 127mph in the quarter, with a 727 transmission. Tom's '70 Dart is somewhat heavier at 3300 pounds and runs 120+ into a 15mph headwind, so they are probably pretty close in power.

If our engine can produce within 100 horsepower of what theirs do, we'll be very happy. This is our first attempt at a slaant six an a first-ever turbo motor, so we're just learning.

Our car is just getting finished and ready for some shakedown runs. Wish us luck; we're gonna need it!!! :banghead:

Attachments

• 100_3613.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 100_3622-001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 100_3649.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 100_3489.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 100_3720.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 2,893
  • 100_3786.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,076
  • 100_3777.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,362
Actually,saw an ad here,for a turbo /6 setup for sale.His ad was in ,parts for sale,I believe.

You just missed a couple good parts I had for a project like that...

It can be done......cheap or all out, or anywhere in between. That pressure box for the carb was sweet.

awsome car bill

Thanks for the very kind words!:cheers:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, however, and it remains to be seen if this pile of nuts and bolts will run anything like the two cars (Tom Wolfe's and Ryan Peterson's) it is copied after, because we are just now beginning to "tune" the mixture (with the aid of a F.A.S.T. data-logging 02 senssor. The mixture is critical and we haven't gotten a handle on it, yet.

But, we are actively working on it and hope to show some positive results, soon.

Hope springs eternal... LOL!

With a car like this, I think "pretty is as pretty does!"

If it doesn't run well, shame on us!!!:eek:ops:

Thanks for the very kind words!:cheers:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, however, and it remains to be seen if this pile of nuts and bolts will run anything like the two cars (Tom Wolfe's and Ryan Peterson's) it is copied after, because we are just now beginning to "tune" the mixture (with the aid of a F.A.S.T. data-logging 02 senssor. The mixture is critical and we haven't gotten a handle on it, yet.

But, we are actively working on it and hope to show some positive results, soon.

Hope springs eternal... LOL!

With a car like this, I think "pretty is as pretty does!"

If it doesn't run well, shame on us!!!:eek:ops:

Bill what kind of issues are you guys having maybe I can be of help

Bill what kind of issues are you guys having maybe I can be of help

AAron,
The boost gauge needle swings up to 5 psi and goes no further.

Waste gate springs are set for 10 psi as is the BOV.

But the A/F ratio is only around 13:1 at full throttle and we MAY have some exhaust leakage around the exhaust port at the manifold gasket.

Today, we are going to re-set the Hobbs switch for 10 psi (it's on 5, now) on the alky spray unit and jet the carb main jets uo 3 sizes. Also, we're going from a #5 jet in the alky sprayer to a #3 (leaner.)

We're on it... just takes a little time.

Any other ideas???

Thanks for your offer to help!!!:prayer:

As far as your a/f where is your signal to your BRPV in relation to your carb hat? Do you know if it's activated or opening up? You should beable to tell using your data logger and /or your wideband the mixture should fatten up when your into the enrichment circuit.
If you up the jets and don't see any difference I'd start investigate there that's one of the hardest parts of tuning a blow through carb! I've got some more tricks but i dont want to overload you with info
I'd definitely change when water injection comes on your running a intercooler so I'd set it at 10-12 psi.
At about what rpm are you starting to see a load on the motor?
Check and make sure that both your hot/cold sides are all sealed up. And let me no

Here's mine, or actually "ours" (I have a partner in this project.)

1964 Valiant V200 4-door sedan, 225 slant six/904/8.75" rear (3.55:1, Sure Grip)

Block was bored .065" and fitted with Wiseco forged pistons, .167" down in the hole, which gives 9:1 CR with a stock, un-milled head and an un-modified combustion chamber. Steel head gasket, .022"-thick... ARP 220,000psi (special-order, head studs, K-1 198 rods that use ARP rod bolts, forged crank turned .010"/.010" and balanced.

Head is ported and is fitted with oversize valves (1.75"/1.5") and utilizes a homemade header, and an AussieSpeed long-runner intake manifold with a Holley 750cfm double-pumper carb that has a boost-referenced power valve and other blow-thru modifications.

Cam is a Bulllet (brand) flat tappet, solid-lifter regrind with .484" gross lift; 210/210-degrees of duration @ .050"-lift and has 115-degree lobe separation. The valve springs are new, 340 springs to which a small (weak) inner spring has been added. They supply 132-pounds on the seat and 310 open. Rocker arms and pushrods are stock (1.5 arms.)

The oil pump is stock, but a Moroso "Accusump" will be used in service (ads 3 quarts to the system.)

Red line 5,500 rpm

Ignition is by means of a stock, electronic "Lean-Burn" Mopar distributor with no vacuum cannister, and no centrifugal advance mechanism of any kind (the distributor provides NO advance of any kind.) Timing is set at 18 crankshaft degrees and stays there. No "curve."

An MSD 6-AL II module is used with an MSD Blaster II coil.

This is a race car; that "tune" on the distributor might not work well on the street.

Oil pan was deepened 2.5" (sump only) and baffles added to preclude starvation under hard deceleration. It has a modified pickup for accommodating the deeper pan.

A SnowPerformance Stage I Boost Cooler alcohol/water injector was added to battle the tendency to detonate under boost. A front-mounted intercooler is used to help cool the charge.

The turbo is a 66mm Turbonetics (T-4, I THINK; not sure.)

An appropriate size external waste gate was fitted to the header.

The transmission is a 1973 Slant 6 904 with a 2.74 first gear and a reverse-pattern, full-manual Turbo-Action valve body.

The converter is a 3,500rpm-stall, Hughes

7290 U-Joints are attached to large-size yokes on both ends of the 3"-diameter driveshaft, while the axles are Yukon high-strength units with Green bearings.

CalTrac traction bars, 50-50 shocks and weld-in subframe connectors are used with 90-10 front shocks and aftermarket disk brakes in front.

A six-point roll bar was welded in and a driveshaft loop added.

The fuel system consists of a Summit 8-gallon fuel cell, two inline filters (one before and one after the Walbro GSL392 electric pump,) and an Aeromotive boost-referenced fuel-pressure regulator, set at 6psi.

The alky injector (BoostCooler) is adjustable, and will be set to start spraying at at 10 psi boost.

The car weighs 2,680 pounds without a driver. It has a fiberglass hood and no front bumper, no rear seat and lighteight front buckets. A Turbo-Action "Cheetah" floor shifter is used.

It has an electrically-driven fan and water pump.

Slicks are the biggest we could get to fit (9"-wide, 26"-tall on 8"-wide rims.) They are Hoosiers.

Coil-spring accesssory "helper springs" raise the rear for added tire clearance.

Our engine is 233 cubic inches and is a copy-cat attempt at motors run by both Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson. Their engines make good power and we are hoping to emulate their success, to some extent, with ours.

Ryan's '66 Valiant weighs about 2,900 pounds and runs 127mph in the quarter, with a 727 transmission. Tom's '70 Dart is somewhat heavier at 3300 pounds and runs 120+ into a 15mph headwind, so they are probably pretty close in power.

If our engine can produce within 100 horsepower of what theirs do, we'll be very happy. This is our first attempt at a slaant six an a first-ever turbo motor, so we're just learning.

Our car is just getting finished and ready for some shakedown runs. Wish us luck; we're gonna need it!!! :banghead:
Wow man, your car is sick. That's something along the lines of what I hope to build someday.

My friend thinks I'm crazy for wanting to turbo a classic car, says the blowoff valve ruins the musclecar sound.

I think he forgets that slant six's were originally designed to be pulled muscles. :D

theres a guy on this forum that actually has a supercharged /6..weiand supercharger and the whole shebang. its pretty cool

theres a guy on this forum that actually has a supercharged /6..weiand supercharger and the whole shebang. its pretty cool

I'm not sure that any one system (turbo, positive-displacement supercharging, or centrifugal supercharging) has any advanage at all over a different kind of forced induction on slant sixes; they all offer huge gains over the restricted breathing offered by normally-aspirated systems.

I have an old, used, Vortech V-1 in my bedroom closet that will find a home someday, on a 225, if I can find a suitable donor car for next-to-nothing. It's all I can afford after spending my last dime on this:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3777.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 935
I'm not sure that any one system (turbo, positive-displacement supercharging, or centrifugal supercharging) has any advanage at all over a different kind of forced induction on slant sixes; they all offer huge gains over the restricted breathing offered by normally-aspirated systems.

I have an old, used, Vortech V-1 in my bedroom closet that will fond a home someday, on a 225, if I find a suitable donor car for next-to-nothing. It's all I can afford after spending my last dime on this:wack:

lol I was saying that more form an aesthetics point of view..but Id imagine that it took some skill placing the supercharger on there. Not to say that turbos are easy by any means to put on.

lol I was saying that more form an aesthetics point of view..but Id imagine that it took some skill placing the supercharger on there. Not to say that turbos are easy by any means to put on.

Yes, if it were easy, everyone would do it...:banghead:

Yes, if it were easy, everyone would do it...:banghead:

lol...forced induction is wayyyyy beyond my knowledge of car related things. Ill just keep putting around in the little slant until it falls over dead....wouldn't that make it a horizontal slant then? Anyways I digress.. GL with the turbo thing 67

lol...forced induction is wayyyyy beyond my knowledge of car related things. Ill just keep putting around in the little slant until it falls over dead....wouldn't that make it a horizontal slant then? Anyways I digress.. GL with the turbo thing 67

My racing partner and I neither have owned a slant six, nor have had any experience with turbos, before. Never.... nada....

He's 75 and I'm 74... and we built this as a first-time effort.

:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3720.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,672
  • js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 100_3613.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 876
My racing partner and I neither have owned a slant six, nor have had any experience with turbos, before. Never.... nada....

Dont tell me that lol..your gonna end up getting me in soooooo much trouble with the wife if I start wanting to go that route lol.

Dont tell me that lol..your gonna end up getting me in soooooo much trouble with the wife if I start wanting to go that route lol.

I have almost as mjuch fun with it as I do playing guitar and bass (jazz)... LOL!

Started playing guitar when I was 7 (1945) and bass when I was 17... (1955.)

Gonna keep at it 'til I get it right!!! LOL!

Rock and roll didn't exist when I started playing!!! :happy1:

I have almost as mjuch fun with it as I do playing guitar and bass (jazz)... LOL!

Started playing guitar when I was 7 (1945) and bass when I was 17... (1955.)

Gonna keep at it 'til I get it right!!! LOL!

Rock and roll didn't exist when I started playing!!! :happy1:

lol 18 year bass player (Everything)
but at any rate Im doing all i can to put the brakes on the hamsters in my head so I dont go ebayin for turbos

IMG_20121005_153308.jpg

IMG_20121005_153227.jpg

IMG_20121005_153234.jpg

i always say the old guys have the baddest rides, your proving my point yet again

-
Back