Sidepipes or not?

-
I'm not a big fan of the side pipes that mimick Cobra/Corvette style. Fake ones are the worst IMO. I like the shorter kind below.

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/07/12/rick-surprises-old-man-57-chevy-70th-birthday-pawn-stars-video/ <-----57' Chevy short vid w/ side pipes

1970PontiacFirebird_01_700.jpg

I like the way they look on some cars, but I never liked the way they sounded on anything. They always made one sound like it was skippin to me. Maybe cause you could only hear one side at the time....but they just never sounded right to me.

Hope your GF/BF/Wife/Significant Other likes the feel of melted stockings/socks/jeans onto bare skin.

Those old Lake pipes on Vettes made getting in and out of the car a real b@$&d.

In fact, I believe Patriot introduced a special offer of a 1st aid kit with every set....:yawinkle::tongue5:

If you must have a side exit exhaust..the AAR sidepipe is way cooler IMHO....

My 1.98 cents at current exchange.

well imo ... Im going to run them on my barracuda with the slant 6 ........NOT FAKE ONES . if its to loud ur to old ! oh and no muffler ...

me personally,i like the look of the old 70s street machines with side pipes but i dont like hearing only 4 cylinders outside my window. they look cool but i would never use them. if i WERE to use them the only kind i would use would be the bottom pic and they would have to run the entire length of the rocker panel ,my opinion.....

Attachments

• side.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 256
  • pip.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 278
My son has a '67 Dart, 440 w/Fenderwell exit Hookers. Sure it's tight but the car has it already. Since the collector is towards the outside of the car, it seems to make sense to have sidepipes if you want to have a cutout as well (non-electric cutout).

Our other rig has sidepipes as well but hiding 5" exhaust was not an option (no ... it is not a diesel but a blown 540 making over 1200 Hp to the crank).

Attachments

• 68Dodge_2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 239
A MoPar 540 cube?

Don't matter to me, awesome looking truck dude, absolutely a great looking ride.

And to the question at hand, depending on the car, hell yes side pipes.

I have always loved the old school look on cars just like the old school look on choppers; and I mean true choppers, not the crap that's being passed off today as choppers. Sorry for the short rant on choppers, but anyway, I think side pipes look great. Here is a link to Scampin's 64 Barracuda; I think the pipes look great on it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=157090

I do agree with magnumdust; I like side dumps better.

Sidepipes, slots AND shag carpet? Bitchin' man!

My son has a '67 Dart, 440 w/Fenderwell exit Hookers. Sure it's tight but the car has it already. Since the collector is towards the outside of the car, it seems to make sense to have sidepipes if you want to have a cutout as well (non-electric cutout).

Our other rig has sidepipes as well but hiding 5" exhaust was not an option (no ... it is not a diesel but a blown 540 making over 1200 Hp to the crank).

Is that truck purpose built or just because you could.

The purpose of this truck was street/strip. Started out more street than strip but as we progressed it kind of grew stronger: 800 ... 900 ... heck, why not 1200 as we'd crossed the magic 850 Hp number. Then with that much power, we needed a reinforced transmission. Then we needed a full cage. Then we might as well tub it to make room for bigger tires. I suspect this the same progression as many other projects.

Wagonblown, I gotta say it again, awesome truck!

they are VERY unpractical, but to each his own.

If you're running fender well headers , have a 4 link and don't want to mess with the "up and over" at the rear end or like the sound bouncing off the wall, then why not sneaker pipes (that's what we called them). just angled and exit in front of the rear wheels?

Even those were (at one time) and inspection issue. But these days, the kid doing the inspection is so oogly over the car, they seldom notice.

Just my .02

-
Back