single plane intake on the street

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a Weiand team G intake for a 383/400 for $100 from a friend - I am debating on running it on my mild 383 that will see 99% street use when driven - or should I bite the bullet and go with the Performer RPM?

stone stock 71 383 rotating assembly
unknown cam (haven't picked one out yet as I need my springs checked -fairly nice though)
Weiand Team G intake w/ a 1/2" phenolic 4 hole spacer
3310 750 Holley (vacuum sec.)
440source stealth heads w/ shim gaskets
stock rockers for now
hughes 3500 stall
stock 727 w/ shift kit
3.23 geared 8 3/4
275/60-15 tire

I ran a torker II 440 single plane using an edelbrock 1407 on the street for a long time. performed well.

.............That is quite a bit of intake for the street with near stock camshaft especially with 3.23s................I wouldn't run the Team G with out at least 3.91s and say a 275 hl comp cam........ur converter will like the steeper gears...........kim................

guess I should mention a 2800 converter , 323 gear , 9 or so compression , 484/280 cam. wasn't a concrete killer , but it ran well.

I say give it a whirl. As easy as the B engine is to swap intakes, if you don't like it, you can sling another one on real easy.

The cam I choose will not be near stock but lift will be dependent on my springs.. 440source heads come with springs good to .510" the springs I have should be good for a little north of that.

.. I want to drive the car on the highway long distance as I have to anywhere around me anyway.. I would go up to 3.55 and no higher as boost is in the plans by next summer and I'll need the higher gear for that

A single plane will work. But a dual plane will work better. Consider the rpm range that the engine will operate in most of the time. It should be easier to tune the carb well.

A single plane will work. But a dual plane will work better. Consider the rpm range that the engine will operate in most of the time. It should be easier to tune the carb well.
Easier to tune with the dual plane? I like that but I will also be cheating = AEM wideband so tuning not really a issue

I run a Torker II with a Holley Street Avenger on the street in my 72 Dart with a slightly warmed over 440 and 3:23's. Runs great! I picked up a new Performer RPM intake, but never installed it. Quite frankly, I don't believe I will see that much of a benefit down low.

Easier to tune with the dual plane? I like that but I will also be cheating = AEM wideband so tuning not really a issue

lol

One other tidbit to consider when jetting if you go to a dual plane and use one bung per side in the collector. At least I noticed a difference when I was racing with a dual plane on my small block (but no O2 sensors). Consider jetting the lower plane side of the intake at least 2 #'s more than the upper plane. While testing several years ago, I noticed that the cylinders being fed by the lower plane were leaner than the ones fed by the upper plane based on plug color, with the jetting the same from side-to-side. When I adjusted the jets, the color evened out and the car picked up about .05. (Don't remember if that was in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile). THEN adjust the jetting the same amount all around based on the 02 readings.

EDIT
FWIW, a 426/440 will handle a single plane better than a 383/400 .

I run a dual plane, but what kind of boosted are u talkin? a single plane may be better, and like Rusty said, super easy to swap on the big mopar. A few years back in hot rod or car craft david freiburger dyno tested like 20 different intakes on 2 big mopars, 2 great articles

I run a dual plane, but what kind of boosted are u talkin? a single plane may be better, and like Rusty said, super easy to swap on the big mopar. A few years back in hot rod or car craft david freiburger dyno tested like 20 different intakes on 2 big mopars, 2 great articles

And guess what kicked ***? A single plane Street Dominator....along with a tunnel ram! 383 in an A is no slouch low ends torque wise. If your not interested in the single plane, sell and buy a stock 4bbl intake, they are not a bad intake, just heavy as heck.

MAD DART runs a single plane on the street but had Brian at IMM cut down the plenum to help, so now he says it works better than the dual plane!

My son's old 383 had a cam around .480-.490 lift 230 at .050 with a four speed and 3.55SG. We were running an OLD Edelbrock single plane (TM-6 or something like that - all number ground off). The car ran great with a 1407 Edelbrock carb, BUT we swapped to an equally OLD Edelbrock dual plane (DP4B, I think) with no carb changes. From the sidelines I could see a distinct difference in power off the corners at the autocrosses.

I have a stock 4bbl, edelbrock torker 383 (short/low rise single plane), and a Weiand Team G high rise single plane

This 383 is going to have 9:1 static, stealth heads (210cc), and a 750 holley 3310VS

I'd like to go aluminum to get the weight down..

I just did a comparison on Summit's website between the Performer RPM, Torker, and the Team G - I really think I'm gonna run the Torker.. has a 2500-6500rpm range and a smaller plenum than the Team G which I think will match the cam/ and stall I'm going with oh ya and save me $265 on a intake LOL

on the B series, I have to say the Holley street dominator is damn hard to beat. I had one on my 451, loved it. I felt like the response was better than the RPM I originally had on it. If I were to build another B series engine, the street dominator would be the one I'd go with

Hey guys I bought a Weiand team G intake for a 383/400 for $100 from a friend - I am debating on running it on my mild 383 that will see 99% street use when driven - or should I bite the bullet and go with the Performer RPM?

stone stock 71 383 rotating assembly
unknown cam (haven't picked one out yet as I need my springs checked -fairly nice though)
Weiand Team G intake w/ a 1/2" phenolic 4 hole spacer
3310 750 Holley (vacuum sec.)
440source stealth heads w/ shim gaskets
stock rockers for now
hughes 3500 stall
stock 727 w/ shift kit
3.23 geared 8 3/4
275/60-15 tire

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=310434

Based on that intake test I should not lose power from a single plane - driveability maybe but not power..

If you are up on power in the midrange to a manifold that has a slighter higher "peak" HP reading, you will likely accelerate faster. Keep the "operating range" in mind and how long the engine stays in it.

If you are up on power in the midrange to a manifold that has a slighter higher "peak" HP reading, you will likely accelerate faster. Keep the "operating range" in mind and how long the engine stays in it.
If I'm honest it's a street car - will not see over 5,500rpm except maybe at the end of the race track.. and it has 3.23's so 5,500 at the end of the track with a basic big block probably won't happen haha, when it goes there which will be later in the summer when the car proves it's ready to be at the track

Based on that intake test I should not lose power from a single plane - driveability maybe but not power..

In a light car like an A body...I don't think you'll loss much in drivability with a single plane. :burnout:

-
Back