Sis-in-Law needs a Prayer filled miracle

-
Good news every time! That IS good news!

More good news, pending the biopsy result. Moved out of ICU over the weekend. Speech therapist is leaving the talk cap on the trach tube more often than not. Vent is disconnected all day, only used at night as a precaution. PT has yet to get her strong enough to stand and walk. Sitting on the edge of the bed is as far as they have gone, thus far. She actually spoke on the phone to us today. She want to go home, but she has acknowledged the need to be where she is. Biopsy should be back later today or tomorrow, hopefully. Then they will know what to focus on and how to focus it in regards to the tumor.

scruffyangelIX.jpg

That’s great news! Hopefully she will regain some strength and they will have her walking soon!

She’s a very lucky lady to have been so sick and recover to this point so quickly.

I will continue to remember her during my prayer time! Thanks for the update!

Another amazing update.... The power of Prayer, no doubt!
SIL is doing well. All artificial life helps have been 100% removed. PT is making her stand up every day getting ready for her 1st walking steps since a month ago. Today they are doing detailed scans of the left breast and abdominal and chest areas, and will follow up with an MRI on Tuesday pin-pointing on what the CT's show today.
Now she has to start facing what she and her mother chose to avoid a year ago, that landed her where she is. To that end, a slight change in prayer focus that they fully understand and grasp what still needs to be done - dealing with the tumor.

Now time for a little rant on the part of my wife and I (another point of prayer focus).
MIL is already denying the 1st 3 weeks were as critical as they were, and saying SIL doesn't need to know the extent of it, nor that she was air lifted to one of the best hospitals in the world that just happens to be local to us. She says SIL should never be told. COME ON MOM!!!!! Now that she is back to fully coherent and alert, how can she make her own sound decisions with her husband going forward if she doesn't know?
My wife and I have tried several times to say she needs to take a break for a day or two and let SIL and BIL have some time alone to discuss it all privately as husband and wife. BIL is just too nice of a guy to give her the boot for a day. MIL says that is her daughter and she will not leave her side during all this. I can see in MIL's face the amount of guilt and sorrow she is carrying for not trying to get her to go to a real doctor in the beginning.

Thanks for the update. Yes it is sad that the MIL can’t see past her nose so these kids can have a break from her. She sure is not helping them by being like that. Yes I think SIL should be told. Still sending more prayers. Kim

Since your mother in law is your wife's mom, I wonder if your wife wouldn't need help picking out a new outfit for that date your taking her on ?

It shouldn't be too hard for your wife to come up with a scenario where she need her moms help for a few hours, right ?

As for your sister in law knowing the full extend of God's Grace to her in this situation, I believe that would be her husband's decision

He is ultimately responsible for leading her, not her mom

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the ostrich approach, but that's just me

I hear what you're saying, diy... However, the favorite daughter is in the hospital, so for now there is nothing that MIL would help my wife, the unfavorite, with at this time. We even told her she needs to take care of herself for a day and get her hair done and go shopping.

Is there a chaplain?

Call a tow truck for your MIL car. Have the hospital page her to a different floor. Have her go to the hospital cafeteria. Slip her a muscle relaxer and give her some schnapps. Commit her to the mental ward. Say her favorite actor is visiting the hospital signing autographs. See if a doctor can diagnose her with exhaustion and make her get some rest. Hit her over the head with a bar of soap in a sock. Think of something crazy but plausible.

Your MIL has some problems. I take it your wife is not the favorite because she has her own brain. What's right is right, I would just tell your SIL what really happened with or without your MIL in the room and, if MIL wants to argue or sugar coat it, you have the doctors to back you guys up.

Time for another good news, yet kind of crazy, update....

PET scan shows nothing else anywhere in her body - just the one large tumor in her left breast. Full results of a 2nd biopsy has not come back yet to tell them exactly what this tumor is made up of. From what I gather, the tumor has not suffered the breast - the infection that grew around the tumor and led to Sepsis is what destroyed the breast.

At any rate, she is being discharged from the hospital, as she has been off of all "life helps" for 11 days now. Hospitals are not rehab centers or hotels. I get that. However, her house is too small of a duplex to house the bed, lift, other associated equipment that she needs to regain her strength. I suggested we go to her house and empty her living room into my basement storage, but not being people to turn family away, and having a second living room on the 1st floor that we never use, she is coming here tomorrow after the equipment gets delivered and set up today. MIL lives with us anyway, so what the hell.

We did have "the talk" about not expecting my wife and I to alter our schedules and activities with our kids. Also that any specific food she wants to eat, her husband and mother will have to stock up. We set some other boundaries in place, as well.

Maybe my wife and I will live in the driveway in the new camper we just brought home on Saturday........ LOL

In the end, this is a good news story. We just have about 8 weeks of a new craziness getting ready to begin.

Thanks for the update. You and your wife are good people. I would do the same for family. I think living in the new camper would be the best option. Good luck with the situation. I’ll keep praying for all you guys. Kim

you're good people. to open your home and help them out in order to make their situation easier is such a gracious act. i hope that they don't take advantage of that. good on you for setting expectations an establishing boundaries up front!

Sounds like your sister is over the hump, but the wife may have soon be in need of prayer;)

Father,
Thank you for the answered prayers Lord--continue to heal her up and may she know that You did it. Allow her to see how much you love her and her family. We all need you every day. May all here continue to ask for prayers when needed and may their faith be strengthened.
In Jesus Mighty name,
Amen

This will probably be the last update for a few weeks. She was delivered here at my house Late at night on Wednesday the 20th. Transport was the delay there. They got her in and settled in the bed without issue. Thursday afternoon, she had an appointment at another location with the Doc that will be treating her specifically. Came home from that with the plan of radiation to kill and shrink it as much as they can in a 4-6 week period. With that, she had an appointment at the outpatient radiation center back at Johns Hopkins yesterday. They had her come in for "the whole talk" and to map the tumor for pinpointed application of the radiation treatments. That will start on Thursday of this week, so they decided to just keep her there since she is pretty much immobile with the size of this thing. It was not fun helping to load her in the car.
So - in about 5-7 weeks, the removal surgery will be taking place. From there it will be skin graphs, reconstruction, rehab, PT/OT. She's still got a long road ahead of her, but the prognosis is above a 95% chance of survival afterwards.
She has opened up when MIL is not in the room about realizing her bad choices over a year ago resulted in what has to happen now and everything she has put us all through.
She and I had about 20 minutes alone the other evening. She is apologizing for messing up everyone's lives and being such a burden. I told her every thing prior to today is what it is and she just needs to focus on moving forward in the right direction. She also asked me what happened between the time she was loaded in the ambulance on Feb 4th and Feb 22nd. She does not remember any of it in between. She knew of the helicopter flight only because they had told her. So I told her at risk of telling her things she doesn't already know, I gave her the details and timeline of how close to death she was and for how long. She stared crying again saying she was so sorry. I reminded her to just look forward, hindsight can't change the past, and that we've had her back from the beginning and will continue to have her back through the rest of it.
She also told her mother last evening, on the phone, that until she gets acclimated to the new digs and radiation process, that she only wants her husband there. This is a result of a conversation that we all had without MIL. The 4 of us (my wife, BIL, SIL and myself) all agree that SIL and BIL need a break from her. Unfortunately, that leaves a grumpy old lady who complains about everything in life with us....LOL SIL also now sees how bad MIL treats my wife. said she knew she complained about her at times, but had no idea how bad it really was. That was my window to say that we need a break when all this is done and maybe we swap MIL between our house and there place every 3 months. BIL said he'd file for divorce.... I hope he was kidding.

I commend u brother. You’re a better man than most. I’m glad ur SIL is on the mend. Also glad to hear the MIL is straightened out somewhat. I’ll keep sending prayers. Kim

Wow, this deepens my faith so much more. Praise Jesus!

-
Back