skips 69 swinger resto

-
Like wise Jon,I was in a bit of a hurry last night and did not get a chance to look at your Dart but I will see you next week and check it out.Thanks on the
F6 Dart,ran the highways up to Stratford and back last night and its a great driver.
Gary

Hey George,thanks.
I will take some shots tonight and post them,It is pretty clean under the hood and the under carriage has the factory under coating.Other than the exhaust pipes it has not been messed with.The numbers say the car was built in Hamtramk, MI.I think I will leave it as is for a while and just enjoy it.
It seems to attract a fair bit of attention the way it is.
Gary

Once I got my new Ebay purchase into the shop and cleaned it up a bit and crawled around underneath it I was really happy with what I purchased.The 40 year old paint buffed up real nice where ever there was paint, the sun baked a lot of it off on the top surface. The car is totally solid and unmolested.Being in a storage unit for the last 15 years really helped save this one.Also being high and dry in Colorado had a lot to do with it im sure.Someone put in a new headliner and redid the seats and dash pad.I pulled out the seats and all the floors have the same clean f6 paint on them,the driver rear floor had surface rust from a wet under pad that sat for years but nothing was thru,cleaned that up and coated it with pores 15,tosed out the under pad to be replaced at a later date,and put it back together.Engine bay is clean and solid as is the trunk area just as the ebay add said this Dart has nothing to hide.Dont now about the orange paint on the 8 3/4 but it appears to be factory with an A painted on the orange.Maybe some of you guys have seen this before?
Had all new brake shoes and parts all the way around.All I had to do for a safety is clean up the grounds for the front headlights to get them bright again.Changed all the fluids and its ready to cruize as is for this year.
Actually it will be at Moparfest as is.
Gary

toyoa and green dart 014.jpg

toyoa and green dart 015.jpg

toyoa and green dart 017.jpg

toyoa and green dart 019.jpg

toyoa and green dart 020.jpg

toyoa and green dart 023.jpg

toyoa and green dart 024.jpg

toyoa and green dart 026.jpg

toyoa and green dart 029.jpg

toyoa and green dart 033.jpg

Cool that you noticed it as well,there was a few guys bidding on it till I hit the buy it now button after contacting the owner.It was a fair price I felt.I was born in your counrty but havent been back for quite a while.Nice Runner, must stand out over there.

Hi Skip,
yes i watched the car. I like 69 swingers. And these color is so =P~
But i'm missing the 4-Speed in this Swinger.
If it had a 4-speed i had bought it 8)

Enjoy the car an please leave it as it is.
I like these sun baked paintstyle.

If you want to sell it sometimes, contact me.

Having seen this car up close and personal - it's really quite amazing. Here's a few more pcitures - includes a shot of Gary buckling his grandson into the car. See you all at Moparfest

IMG_0048-1.JPG

IMG_0051-1.JPG

IMG_0052-1.JPG

IMG_0053-1.JPG

IMG_0054-1.JPG

IMG_0057-1.JPG

IMG_0048-1.JPG

IMG_0051-1.JPG

IMG_0052-1.JPG

IMG_0053-1.JPG

IMG_0054-1.JPG

IMG_0057-1.JPG

Its amazing what we have to do to make our cars look right here in ontario,canada.The job your doing reminds me of a few friends cars(time,sweat and of course$$$$)Your doing quite a nice job looks like you have the place and equipment to make it all come together.was the car complete when you started?it makes things so much easier.hope to see pics. when your done and can sit back and say to yourself,what next.Cause it never ends.good luck with your project.:clock:

Thanks for that Jon.The wheels are already turning on what I am going to do with this 69 swinger after I finish the black one.

Pettyblu love your dart,really stands out and the 1/4 times are pretty impresive as well.My project has been a lot of work and $$$$.(questioning my sanity).I was lucky the car was all there but I have still replaced a lot of the sheet metal $$$$$ and one restored part leads to another.The car will be ready for the spring of next year, the guy (Jeff Gable races a 7 second 178 mph 73 Duster)who is doing the finish body and paint wants to put it on display at the Perfomance World show in Toronto if all goes as planned.I will post some pics as I reassemble it.I already have my whats next sitting in my garage, this one will be a breeze as it only needs minor body work and paint and maybe some HP.
Thanks for your intrest.
Gary

Gary, that green car is beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing on it. Just keep it running and drive it.
Best of Luck with it!

George

Skip theres only one thing in life finer than a 69 swinger and thats 2 of them. I want you to restore mine when your done.Cant wait to see your cars.Fine job, I remember that car on ebay a while back there must still be a few of them hidden away somewhere.

Once I got my new Ebay purchase into the shop and cleaned it up a bit and crawled around underneath it I was really happy with what I purchased.The 40 year old paint buffed up real nice where ever there was paint, the sun baked a lot of it off on the top surface. The car is totally solid and unmolested.Being in a storage unit for the last 15 years really helped save this one.Also being high and dry in Colorado had a lot to do with it im sure.Someone put in a new headliner and redid the seats and dash pad.I pulled out the seats and all the floors have the same clean f6 paint on them,the driver rear floor had surface rust from a wet under pad that sat for years but nothing was thru,cleaned that up and coated it with pores 15,tosed out the under pad to be replaced at a later date,and put it back together.Engine bay is clean and solid as is the trunk area just as the ebay add said this Dart has nothing to hide.Dont now about the orange paint on the 8 3/4 but it appears to be factory with an A painted on the orange.Maybe some of you guys have seen this before?
Had all new brake shoes and parts all the way around.All I had to do for a safety is clean up the grounds for the front headlights to get them bright again.Changed all the fluids and its ready to cruize as is for this year.
Actually it will be at Moparfest as is.
Gary

Boy, right in my back yard and I didn't know a thing about it. If I had seen it, it would have been added to my collection! Very nice find!

Yea nothing could be finer than 2- 69'ers, I have to agree.Will be working away to get both done for next year if the bank account holds out.
Nice talking to ya stover.
Gary

Amazing whats sitting around in peoples nieghbourhoods that they don't know about.Must be some cool Mopars sitting around down your way, most Ontario stuff is rotted out.
Happy to have found this one before you did.
Cheers!
Gary

Hey Skip-
I found a place to dip my '70 Dart down here...
The place is four weeks out right now so before
I take the car I will be asking you what I should tell them on the finish...
I want to put it into epoxy primer as soon as the car is out.
Body = $2,000.
L Fender = $160.
R Fender = $160.
Hood = $160.
Trunk Lid = $160.
F Valence = $160.
R Valence = $160.
Total = $2,960.
What do you think?

Casey,
Those prices are comparable with what I paid to have my 69 dipped.From my experience with this process you definately get a clean bare metal car back, it even removed the lead that was used to fill panel joints so there is some heat involved in the process but in no way did it effect any steel components.My only ***** was the rust ihibitor they sprayed on it after to keep it from surface rust setting up was very difficult to get off in fact some areas that were difficult to get at the primer we spayed on began to lift and that made for even more work so I if I do it again I would pass on any final rust inhibitor spray from them.Just get it home do a proper bare metal prep and lay on your primer.Im not a body guy but thats my oppinion having delt with it.
Hope this helps.
Skip

I did mention to the rep that I do not want and or need any rust inhibitors shot on the car and she said that was fine that they will exclude that from the process. I am not a body man either but I know starting from a fresh metal body will be a blessing to my bodyman that will be doing the work.
I just hope all of the body panels stay in good shape in the process.
Did you panels in any way get damaged.
The company has a disclaimer that says they are not responsible for damaged parts...

I had no issues with any damage to any body panels what so ever, even the thinnest of corroded sheet metal is saved and untouched so if you are interested in saving all the existing metal regardless of the shape its in this is the way to go.The only rust it cannot get at is what is trapped between the tight spot welded seams but then no process out there can remove this other than drilling it apart and removing it that way.Some seams that are really rust swelled may have to be done that way depending on how badly the car was rusted or how good a job you want to end up with.
Hopefully you are pleased with what is hidden under the paint and filler and not shocked because 38 yrs of hidden sins will be exposed.
Best of luck with your resto,post er up when you get it back.

Cleaned the orange paint off of the 8 3/4 on the green survivor dart and it exposed the factory markings from day one for anybody doing a pure resto to use as a reference.I guess different guys working on the line would have there own signiture

green dart 009.jpg

-
Back