Slant 6 Turbo 68Dart Project

-
Serj the guy that built the car in this thread!!!

THANK YOU!!! I was confused by your comments, because they came IMMEDIATELY after my long-winded diatribe, and, since I too, had built a turbocharged slant six car ('see picture) and had listed a long history of problems I have had help with on this forum, I was't sure if you meant his car or mine.

I appreciate your clearing up my confusion! :blob:

Attachments

• 100_3613.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 374
  • js640_IMG_0565.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 384
  • js640_IMG_0829.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 379
Hey that's a dang nice car bud wish mine was were yours is right now mines a 70 dart 2 door 60k original miles sat in a garage for the last 18 years. Best thing was the vanity plates in the trunk were SWINGR not to many sets of those out there lol

Hey that's a dang nice car bud wish mine was were yours is right now mines a 70 dart 2 door 60k original miles sat in a garage for the last 18 years. Best thing was the vanity plates in the trunk were SWINGR not to many sets of those out there lol

Here;s a turbocharged '70 Dart like yours with a 225, that runs 11-flat at 120... I think you'll like it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxRmoDgsdY"]Turbo charged Slant 6 11.02 @ 120.56 - YouTube[/ame]

He's on this forum and helped me a lot with my build (SHAKER223.)

This is one place to get info and advice from knowledgeable sources.

That car in the video makes a little over 500 horsepower and has 1 four-barrel Holley carb, -a flat-tappet cam, a 5,500-rpm redline and a 904 tranny. Lots of good advice here, if you decide you want better performance out of your slant.

"SWINGER"... I like it!!!! :cheers:

Attachments

• js640_turboside.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 372
Definitely some cool stuff I'm gonna fix all the little stuff then look into adding some more power to this thing. I'm just gotta do a fender and door and front seat upholstery. I have a guy here in oregon that makes header flanges and what's the possibility of making your own header and intake? Would a different intake make sense or just be useless maybe an intake with fuel injector bungs? I know this isn't as cheap as doing other stuff like but new school with old school mixed with boost would be cool? Also what kind of egt's are you guys hitting?

Definitely some cool stuff I'm gonna fix all the little stuff then look into adding some more power to this thing. I'm just gotta do a fender and door and front seat upholstery. I have a guy here in oregon that makes header flanges and what's the possibility of making your own header and intake? Would a different intake make sense or just be useless maybe an intake with fuel injector bungs? I know this isn't as cheap as doing other stuff like but new school with old school mixed with boost would be cool? Also what kind of egt's are you guys hitting?

Don't know anything about exhaust gas temperatures, but my ex-partner made the header you see in the picture, and he'd never made a header before in his life....

Attachments

• js640_100_3490.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 311
  • js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 335

The intake manifold is not worth making your own, because you can buy Offenhauser, Clifford, or Weiand 4bbl manifolds off e-bay for $200.00, usually, and they all work great.

The alternative to a header is a J-Pipe of a design from PISHTA (screen name for a guy on this forum who designed an exhaust system for a turbo.) This PISHTA-pipe BOLTS to the stock exhaust manifold (no welding on the cast iron, which is prone to cracking,) and is good to about 350 horsepower. Below is a picture of it.

Attachments

• js640_pishta.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 363
  • PISHTAFRONT.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 373

Send an email to [email protected] and I will send you some imfo on trurbocharging a slant six that has costs and recommendations for what to buy to get it done as reasonably as possible.

I am just a hobbyist; I have no commercial activities related to this stuff, BTW,

Attachments

• 100_4000.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_3622.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_3618.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 345
  • js640_IMG_0747[1].jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 329
I thought maybe a log style manifold with a throttle body might be ok? This would be for the slant 6 guy wanting even more power and reliability? Sorry for the hijacked thread

I thought maybe a log style manifold with a throttle body might be ok? This would be for the slant 6 guy wanting even more power and reliability? Sorry for the hijacked thread

That would probably work fine... but, it's so simple to just buy a used 4bbl manifold for about $200 and bolt it on, with a Hplley double pumper (or a Super Six 2bbl manifold with a Holley 2300 carb,) that fabricating something more elaborate just seems like an unnecessary complication/expense. Believe me; you'll have plenty to keep you busy, just turbocharging a slant six...

But, if you have unlimited time, go for it... It's all good!:blob:

Attachments

• js640_100_3528.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 302
Oh yea time is 1 thing I do have motivation not so much lol I built a log style manifold for a 300-6 ford ( it wasnt pretty lol) about 6 years ago and made it with a mustang throttle body and a guy bought it probably just cause but they did come with efi so he had a head start on us. Also I'll see if I can find pics but did help a buddy cut a carb intake and welded in a flange to run a gm throttle body on a Toyota 4 cylinder it still works great today

Oh yea time is 1 thing I do have motivation not so much lol I built a log style manifold for a 300-6 ford ( it wasnt pretty lol) about 6 years ago and made it with a mustang throttle body and a guy bought it probably just cause but they did come with efi so he had a head start on us. Also I'll see if I can find pics but did help a buddy cut a carb intake and welded in a flange to run a gm throttle body on a Toyota 4 cylinder it still works great today

Here's some motivational material for you: This car has 1 4bbl Holley on a Hyper pak manifold.

It's a 225... with a 727!!!

It weighs 2,800-pounds without driver and runs 127+ on gasoline in the quarter-mile. His e.t. is 10.74-seconds.

For motivation, try outrunnning that car (using a similar-weight car and same size engine) with a fuel injected intake system and a supercharger. That might be intereesting..

Oh yes, he runs 28 pounds of boost....

Lots of V-8s would love to go that fast... :blob:

Here's the video...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

I would still go with a turbo I've had both on various rigs and the supercharger sounds cool for about 3 days but you never get tired of the blow off valve sound

I would still go with a turbo I've had both on various rigs and the supercharger sounds cool for about 3 days but you never get tired of the blow off valve sound

I have a blowoff valve (see pic) on my Vortech that sounds like escaping compressed-air,) and I guess it is...

Attachments

• 100_3215.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 289
Yea I never get tired of that sound lol where are you guys finding the carb hats?

Yea I never get tired of that sound lol where are you guys finding the carb hats?

Spectre has one (Summitracing.com) for a little over a hundred dollars. I have one of them on my slant six car. The other one I have is a lot more expensive and has an internal baffle to direct the incoming charge. It is called an "Extreme Velocity" hat...

Attachments

• 100_3223.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 292
Serj the guy that built the car in this thread!!!

No problem. Right now she's sitting in the driveway. All her coolant leaked out and she wants to be rebuilt. The coolant problem is fixable though, and I could drive it another probably year or so like that, but things like delaminating paint, and the need to not have a giant oil stain on the side of the block every time I get out of the car - are showing their head.

Bill is a wealth of info, that's why he can jack my thread all he wants. lol.

You guys are having way too much fun. :)

Would a quick fuel externally adjustable metering block help with ease of tuning the carbs? Basically dial a jet?

Personally jungles, I like your efi idea. If I were to build a boosted slant, efi turbo would be my first choice. I haven't heard much good about those dial-a-jets but I haven't tried one personally (thought about it though)

Bill is a little more old school and likes carbs. My personal opinion on the matter is there is a reason you can't list any blow thru carburated cars from the factory. Carbs were designed to have fuel drawn through them, not force fed. Not to mention I feel like most converted carbs are quite crude and a sophisticated fuel injection system would not only make more power but much better tuning, driveability, power and economy.

No matter which way you choose it will still be quite the learning curve.

No problem. Right now she's sitting in the driveway. All her coolant leaked out and she wants to be rebuilt. The coolant problem is fixable though, and I could drive it another probably year or so like that, but things like delaminating paint, and the need to not have a giant oil stain on the side of the block every time I get out of the car - are showing their head.

Bill is a wealth of info, that's why he can jack my thread all he wants. lol.

Thanks, David... I am not as smart as I NEED to be, though, as you no doubtless know: Especially about fuel injection.

I am NOT much of a fan of carburetors on blow-thru applications (regardless of the fact that both of my boosted cars use them,) for the reasons that Brandon pointed out. I am not much of a fan, but I use them because I don't know anything about implementing a fuel injection system on these cars.

It is ignorance on my part, pure and simple, that keeps carburetors on my cars.. Nothing more.

Sad, but true... Fuel injection is not within my frame of reference; it's a fact that stares me in the face, constantly.:violent1:

Additionally, my slant six is NOT a car built to my specifications.

I have said this before, but I'll say it again because it is 100% true: I did NOT come up with the plans for the engine that is in my car. It is a bald-faced copy, a clone, actually, of the engines in Tom Wolfe's Dart and Ryan Peterson's Valiant, both 500+-horsepower 225's.

THEY did ALL the testing, R & D and parts selection, and through meticulous trial and error, came up with a parts-list that I copied, almost, "to the letter," without having to do any research on my own.

If it were not for Tom Wolfe's guidance, I would still be trying to figure out how to get the head on my engine.

No kiddding...

These guys know what they are doing.

I just copied them.

ANYBODY could do it, but, it's not cheap and it takes lot of patience, but I don't think there is a cheaper way to get a reliable 500+ horsepower.

Thanks, Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson, for showing me one way to make a strangulated slant into a car whose performance I can be proud of!

Right now, with only 15 pounds of boost (more, later,) it goes 12-flat at about 112 mph.... and never turns over 5,500 rpm. 2,900 pounds, with driver on board.

Factory blow thru carbs:

Studebaker - Carter AFB's - late '50s early '60s
Lotus - DCOE Weber - mid '70s
Maserati - Weber - early '80s

Not to mention several iterations of certifigal superchargers and piston driven engines in WWII airplanes.

Factory blow thru carbs:

Studebaker - Carter AFB's - late '50s early '60s
Lotus - DCOE Weber - mid '70s
Maserati - Weber - early '80s

Not to mention several iterations of certifigal superchargers and piston driven engines in WWII airplanes.

What about this one (1957 Ford, 300hp, 312 1957 T-Bird,)????

Attachments

• image01.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 248
-
Back