Slant 6 Turbo 68Dart Project

-
That's too bad you had transmission problems on top of leak problems as well.

More bad new: I climbed under the car today and discovered that whatever the problem is, it is definitely NOT a shift-linkage problem. The linkage is still in perfect adjustment, and the detents on the floor shifter match perfectly, the detents I feel in the manual shifter arm, (where it comes out of the transmission.)

Whatever is broke, it is broken INSIDE the transmission. No matter what position you put the manual selector in. the car wants to move forward if the engine is running. That includes PARK, REVERSE, and NEUTRAL. The is no way to make the car back up, and the PARK posititon acts just like all the rest... forward movement. I have to chock the wheels to keep it from rolling away.

If it's not one thing, it's something else.:banghead:

Well, after much hunting around for better turbo components and such, I got accepted for a Sponsorship from Mishimoto, good for a nice (very nice) discount off most their products, so I'll be switching all the cheap ebay junk over to good quality stuff pretty soon. New intercooler, piping, hoses, etc... It's gonna be cool. Super excited.

20150505_164625_zpswz196hwz.jpg

Well, after much hunting around for better turbo components and such, I got accepted for a Sponsorship from Mishimoto, good for a nice (very nice) discount off most their products, so I'll be switching all the cheap ebay junk over to good quality stuff pretty soon. New intercooler, piping, hoses, etc... It's gonna be cool. Super excited.

20150505_164625_zpswz196hwz.jpg

Yay for sponsorships! :cheers:

Yay for sponsorships! :cheers:

Indeed!!! I REALLY want to see this car with some Wiseco (or, other,) forged pistons, some forged rods, an ORinged block, a ported head, and a meaningful intake system, capable of supporting 500 horsepower. (Carb or injected; I don't care!)

You, (SERJ22) have shown, me at least, that when you have quality parts to work with, appropriate results can be expected.

You go, guy... :cheers:

Indeed!!! I REALLY want to see this car with some Wiseco (or, other,) forged pistons, some forged rods, an ORinged block, a ported head, and a meaningful intake system, capable of supporting 500 horsepower. (Carb or injected; I don't care!)

You, (SERJ22) have shown, me at least, that when you have quality parts to work with, appropriate results can be expected.

You go, guy... :cheers:

Bill, i just recently started bugging my shop's landlord about a slant i found on the property and asked if hed sell it to me. Itd get a full redo in my shop over time by me while i drive the one currently in the car.I was thinking one of the basic rebuild kis. Have the included new cam ground ro whatevers turbo friendly and maybe some slightly oversized bore and pistons on the bottom end. I'm not sure what all id do, but i would have the block machined and funds are always limited.

Bill, i just recently started bugging my shop's landlord about a slant i found on the property and asked if hed sell it to me. Itd get a full redo in my shop over time by me while i drive the one currently in the car.I was thinking one of the basic rebuild kis. Have the included new cam ground ro whatevers turbo friendly and maybe some slightly oversized bore and pistons on the bottom end. I'm not sure what all id do, but i would have the block machined and funds are always limited.

That is great news! A free slant 6 is always good!

I'd hate to see you build an engine from scratch with stock pistons and rods. The Wiseco/K1 piston/rod combo is a about a thousand dollars, which seems like a lot of money, but the resistance to detonation, and increased boost you could run because of those parts is well-worth it, I rhink.

MLS head gaskets are now available, too. Not COMETIC.

A 400 hp street engine should be well within your reach, with un-ported. but, big valve heads (speculation, on my part.) Let higher boost feed the cylinders...:blob:

More later...

Ideally it has to fall into the same spectrum as the current car - be incredibly driveable. If 400hp makes it act badly, then I'll do 300, if 300 is too much of hassle, 250. You know what I mean? This build is for a car that needs to run every single day of its life, even though we have a second car now, I like driving THIS one. This build was never ever meant to be Hemi Destroyer, Ls1 Crusher, etc... it's pure fun in a dependable package. If it makes 300 - cool. Remember my last goal was 200, and I hit that. Now I'm just setting a new one. I may look into some really awesome pistons, but right now I have a basic plan. Keep in mind too I have never ever rebuilt an engine, but I want to do it myself, minus the machine work, which I have no way of doing.

My basic plan is hone the block, and the bearings, etc...020ish over pistons and ring set, a nice functional cam that is maybe more adequate than the stock cam (I still have no idea what that is on turbo, but I am researching these things all the time), I would use the solid lifter head off the current block I have, and maybe try and find some 2.2 (I think it is) connecting rods, to increase the displacement somewhere near 232 or something, then maybe have our machinest dish the pistons a little bit to decrease compression. Right now the head is shaved anywhere from .020 - .040 as far as I can guess just from how many times I've had the head off and previous owners had it off, and the last time .010 came off to get rid of the warp that was in it. I may even do a 4 bbl setup. I also want to simplify my exhaust J pipe, by removing the J-pipe and doing something similar to this:
070_zpsqvrkcosw.jpg

Credit for that goes to "Thomas S" on the sl6.org site.

:D This turbo setup is nearing 10k miles, and right now I'm still dealing with the block liking to throw rust into the radiator. I was about to buy a brand new Mishimoto radiator for the car (yes they do have one that will fit) but I'm thinking why trash something nice like that with rust and junk flying into it? I don't really know what to do in the interrim, but I'm thinking I'll take this current rad out, shoot 150 psi through it upside down or something and see what happens.

I'm ordering a new Intercooler and coolant reservoir from Mishi. to get the car onto the track. I'm almost in the "lets blow it up" sort of mood, but not quite. I have to continue to stay calm and collected even though this cooling issue is frustrating me right now, and it will be a moment till I can reassemble another slant six. I'm not sure if I can get the other motor for free, but maybe he'll sell it for something reasonable. Shipping would literally be me getting in a forklift, driving 200 feet away, grabbing the motor on the pallet, and driving it back to our shop.

Currently today, I also found 2 of the spark plugs aren't sealing in the tubes, not the spark plug tube seals, but the spark plugs against the tubes. I'm thinking they may need some kind of rubber O-ring or something since the plugs don't have washers on them. I don't know if that would effect anything or not, but oil is just spitting like dog slobber out onto the spark plug wires. Not a lot of oil - but any oil is an annoyance sort of thing.

20150506_122901_zpstislklut.jpg

There's a lot that has to come off it, but he said he only keeps good engines on pallets, bad engines are piled into a corner or in a container, so he has to think about why he has it on a pallet - maybe he intended to use it for something sort of thing.

Ideally it has to fall into the same spectrum as the current car - be incredibly driveable. If 400hp makes it act badly, then I'll do 300, if 300 is too much of hassle, 250. You know what I mean? This build is for a car that needs to run every single day of its life, even though we have a second car now, I like driving THIS one. This build was never ever meant to be Hemi Destroyer, Ls1 Crusher, etc... it's pure fun in a dependable package. If it makes 300 - cool. Remember my last goal was 200, and I hit that. Now I'm just setting a new one. I may look into some really awesome pistons, but right now I have a basic plan. Keep in mind too I have never ever rebuilt an engine, but I want to do it myself, minus the machine work, which I have no way of doing.

My basic plan is hone the block, and the bearings, etc...020ish over pistons and ring set, a nice functional cam that is maybe more adequate than the stock cam (I still have no idea what that is on turbo, but I am researching these things all the time), I would use the solid lifter head off the current block I have, and maybe try and find some 2.2 (I think it is) connecting rods, to increase the displacement somewhere near 232 or something, then maybe have our machinest dish the pistons a little bit to decrease compression. Right now the head is shaved anywhere from .020 - .040 as far as I can guess just from how many times I've had the head off and previous owners had it off, and the last time .010 came off to get rid of the warp that was in it. I may even do a 4 bbl setup. I also want to simplify my exhaust J pipe, by removing the J-pipe and doing something similar to this:
070_zpsqvrkcosw.jpg

Credit for that goes to "Thomas S" on the sl6.org site.

:D This turbo setup is nearing 10k miles, and right now I'm still dealing with the block liking to throw rust into the radiator. I was about to buy a brand new Mishimoto radiator for the car (yes they do have one that will fit) but I'm thinking why trash something nice like that with rust and junk flying into it? I don't really know what to do in the interrim, but I'm thinking I'll take this current rad out, shoot 150 psi through it upside down or something and see what happens.

I'm ordering a new Intercooler and coolant reservoir from Mishi. to get the car onto the track. I'm almost in the "lets blow it up" sort of mood, but not quite. I have to continue to stay calm and collected even though this cooling issue is frustrating me right now, and it will be a moment till I can reassemble another slant six. I'm not sure if I can get the other motor for free, but maybe he'll sell it for something reasonable. Shipping would literally be me getting in a forklift, driving 200 feet away, grabbing the motor on the pallet, and driving it back to our shop.

Currently today, I also found 2 of the spark plugs aren't sealing in the tubes, not the spark plug tube seals, but the spark plugs against the tubes. I'm thinking they may need some kind of rubber O-ring or something since the plugs don't have washers on them. I don't know if that would effect anything or not, but oil is just spitting like dog slobber out onto the spark plug wires. Not a lot of oil - but any oil is an annoyance sort of thing.

20150506_122901_zpstislklut.jpg

There's a lot that has to come off it, but he said he only keeps good engines on pallets, bad engines are piled into a corner or in a container, so he has to think about why he has it on a pallet - maybe he intended to use it for something sort of thing.

There are several things that go into driveability on the street. The main one is camshaft selection. These guys who can't WAIT to get that slant six out of Granny's Duster, so they can swap a 360 into it, are setting themselves up for a lifetime of driveability issues, because the 360 they swap into her 3,300-pound Duster, will very likely spend its life with a camshaft that will give it a rough idle, a high rpm idle, and require a loose torque converter for decent driveability. All of that goes together to make for some not-so-relaxed cruising and poor fuel economy. This camshaft selection will require a rear axle final drive in the low 4's (4.10:1) or deeper (4:56?) or deeper, yet, in order to maximize acceleration at the strip. Then, if you want to make it a hiway cruiser for a trip, or just relaxed freeway cruising, a 3.08 or 3.23-geared center section will be necessary.

This absolutely dictates that you install an 8.75" housing in the car. They don't give those away anymore... for some reason (availability?) they have become unduly expensive.

Slant six cars have an advantage here, in that both Ryan Peterson's turbo car and Tom Wolfe's similar Dart, were tested with a variety of final drive ratios and ended up being quicker and faster using 2.73:1 ring and pinion gears than any other. What that means is, if you have a turbocharged slant six, you have a "one size fits all" final drive situation, which also means, you don't have an use for an expensive 8.75" housing that will accommodate a drop-out center section; you can use a cheap, readily-available 8.25" hiway geared rear end out of a Late '70's Duster, Aspen, or other A Body car. Saves you a ton of cash, there... Maybe enough to buy the upper control arms, spindles and disk brakes to change your front end over to LBP wheels...

Camshaft selection is surely an engine parameter that has a tremendous effect on driveability. Turbo motors of all kinds, don't work well if they are subjected to much overlap. The boost goes out the exhaust valve, which exacerbates the problem of making enough exhaust to spool the turbo effectively. Two avenues of approach are used to prevent this situation (that I am aware of.) Lobe center separation is wider than would be desirable on a naturally-aspirated motor. That minimizes overlap, by itself. It also makes the idle smoother. The other thing that works to make for less overlap is, reducing the amount of time (in degrees of rotation) that the valves are open. Very mild timing is part and parcel of turbo camshafts, for the expressed purpose of minimizing overlap. This smooths the idle further, and makes for an engine with impeccable manners; tons of low end and mid-range torque.

Now, you have an engine that is geared for the road, but still performs well on the drag strip, and idles like your grandmorther's slant six...

There are two other factors that can affect driveabilty, and will...

Spark advance and fuel metering. The subject of spark advance on boosted engines, is far beyond the scope of my understanding; In NO WAY, do I have sufficient knowledge to discuss it, even in a rudimentary way, so, I will leave that to smarter minds... yours, maybe. The only caveat here is, that in order to stay our of harm's (detonation) way, be very conservative with spark advance, keeping it ALWAYS less than 18 degrees if boost is present... even a little.

Fuel curves are vitally important to good driveability, but we have A/F ratio meters to assist us in tuning, but even with their help, it's not easy.... but, time and patience will put it into the realm of possibility. It just take some considerable effort.

The amount of boost present is the difference between a 300, 400 and 500 hp motor; I don't think their driveability would be much different. Just their lifespans... LOL!

My 2-cents... YMMV...:happy1:

I got so many ideas bill, looking at so many other builds of slants, and I got to sort out my plan. It's almost like I have three different engine setups i want to make and need to narrow it down. I agree with the keeping of the overlap low so the pressure doesn't just fire back into the exhaust, on the unfortunate side, i don't personally know what the numbers on a cam mean as far as duration and all that, so it's something I'm reading about currently. That's pretty much how i figure out most everything - lots of reading till I feel i understand, then go from there with my own plan.

The other problem present, is I also need to help finish this other Dart sitting here, the Fiancee' wants to 50's theme it, so sometime this week I am cutting the rear quarters and welding fins on it and building wheel skirts. Yes, you heard that right. I think it will look fine - like a Continental basically. But that is in another thread, and a whole other build idea.

There's a lot going on in the car world here, and I also need to do some responsible buys - for instance - on the '74 the front left tire is getting worn to the wire, and that's unacceptable, and of course I have to buy a set of tires, not going to be bad about it and just replace one tire - that'd be silly. So that's $250 I don't get to spend on the turbo project. You all know how it goes...

So that's $250 I don't get to spend on the turbo project. You all know how it goes...

I know EXACTLY how that goes... I FINALLY got my race car (kind of) "operational," after waiting FIVE YEARS to see how it runs (if, at all,) and during the very first run, a clamp on the cold side plumbing that wasn't as tight as it needed to be, allowed the plastic/rubber connector that seals the 2 1/2" discharge pipe to the carb hat, to come loose and allowed an undetermined amount of boost (I was only running ten pounds,) to escape, unbeknownst to me. The next run, that leak still existed, so the performance figures for that, my only other run, were pretty much invalid.

So, I still don't know how this thing performs. A 13.71 quarter WITH the leak and a passenger riding (190 pounds) were all the numbers I got. I guess I should be happy with that...:banghead:

To top it off, something happened to my transmisssion on that run; when I went to put the car on the trailer, it wouldn't back up and, in fact, tried to move forward no matter which gear was selected... including Park, Neutral and Reverse...

I am not in physical condition to remove that 904, so Iwill have to pay somebody to do it so I can take it the 60 miles to the guy who built it to find out what is wrong. $$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes, I fully understand financial problems....:glasses7:
]
]
But the point of that whole long-winded tirade was, I don't see how the degree of "tune" of a slant six (turbocharged) will (negatively) affect driveability since all versions of "tune", from mild to wild, use a camshaft with stock, or near-stock, duration. And, the wider lobe separation it is ground with, actually HELPS smooth the idle and assist in the production of low-end torque, Mixture tuning (and, perhaps the spark advance curve,) is/are the only thing(s) that would affect driveability in highly-modified turbo slants, and with an accurate A/F meter to tune with, that is workable.

Yet another advantage of turbos over hopping up an engine using conventional, naturally-aspirated methodology (long-duration cams, big carbs, and deep gears,) is this mild "personality."

IF you have the time and expertise (and patience to deal with tuning it,) a turbo'd slant six seems to make a whole lot more sense than a V8 swap into an A Body.

It's (usually) a "free" motor. (In most cases, comes with the car.)

Has waaay more spectator appeal at shows (it's rare.... unusual.)

It's lighter.

a 400hp slant has impecable road manners and driveability as opposed to a similarly-powerful V8 which will necessarily, have a ragged idle, and require a loose converter.

If you want to run your V8 swap on the highway as well as the drag strip, final drive gearing will require two sets of ratios (or, an expensive OD transmission,) which will, (in the absence of an OD,) require a rear housing with a drop out third member (8.75") while the turbo slant can effectively use a one-size-fits-all, cheaper 8.25" out of a late '70s Aspen/Volare or Duster or Dart Sport. It's been proven that they run quicker/faster with final drive ratios in the two's... go figure!

Every day, more equipment is being marketed for turbocharged cars, as it becomes more popular with the OEM factories, so it's not the difficult parts search it used to ne; the stuff IS out there, including ever-cheaper turbos.

And although it still ain't easy (for example, NOBODY yer builds a readily-available slant six, turbo header; you have to fashion your own,) overall, I think it's less work to bolt a turbo and all the necessary additional parts, on a slant six than it is to round up a 340.360 V8 and go through the time-consuming steps in gathering up the many changes necessary to get the V8 in there, and running.

A 500 hp 360 (unless it's a forced induction motor or on nitrou$,) is a handful, on the street; rough idle, hi stall converter, not much low end torque... a 400 hp turbo slant runs just like a stocker, UNTIL YOU GET ON IT!!! Not much in the way of driveability issues.

That is all just my opinion.... based on what I've been able to learn over the last five year I've been reseaerching this...

Good luck with whatever you decide to build!!!!:blob: It's all good!

I'll eventually have it figured out. 2 of my ideas involve a slant six as the base, and only one of them involves a SRT 4 2.4 liter turbo (don't hurt me). But all three involve turbos.

Right now it's down to what i can get quicker. I know where both engines are. The 2.4 is still in a car and needs to be yanked out, but that one requires SO MUCH work to get it to go in the car. The slant six would be plug n play since, that's what's in there right now, and even has it's own transmission bolted to it.

Hey those 2.4L motors are pretty sout especially if your looking at products from Darrell Cox racing, they have a 9 sec SRT4. I had mine up to 400hp with a 60-1 turbo and full bolt on and porting done, stage 3 BC cams. Fun ride loved to race v8s. Even had to tuned to methanol injected on the cold side pipe, it wasn't the 60/40 mix either straight meth.

I still don't have an asnwer from either party on either motor, so I guess a new engine to play with is still a ways away... either way, I still have this one that's fun, so I'm going to continue with that.

I placed my first order with my sponsor, Mishimoto, for a new intercooler, radiator overflow, some new (not cheap junk) T-bolt clamps, and some new silicone couplers as well as a few other things. So when that gets here I'll be removing the grill and bumper, removing the "placeholder" ebay stuff and mount the new goods in their place, and then adjusting everything accordingly. I'll also be likely removing the main grill in general and building some filler panels to direct air at the intercooler and radiator. It will look cool I think - more protruding and visible like Bill's Valiant. And then this will be the centerpiece:
http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-small.html

Well today I took the radiator out, and flipped it upside down and blew it out, pushed water through it, etc... and a few bits of junk came out but nothing significant.

20150515_135454_zpsyqm4xoyd.jpg

I then covered all the openings and sand blasted as much paint and garbage off of it as I could. Then blew it off, hosed it down, and put it back in the car. Somehow the back of the intercooler still looks nice. I think it's getting plenty airflow through this space too, so that's not the issue. I'm turning my attention to the bottom hose - since the rad has a straight lower opening and the stock one angled up, I think the change in the rubber bending is causing it to crush while driving. I can't visibly tell, but I am leaning heavily towards this.

20150515_135424_zpsyftimril.jpg

20150515_154813_zpslktofafo.jpg

More research needed, and also all the paint didn't quite come off the rad - I ran out of air in the main compressor before I got it all, oh well. something to do later.

I still don't have an asnwer from either party on either motor, so I guess a new engine to play with is still a ways away... either way, I still have this one that's fun, so I'm going to continue with that.

I placed my first order with my sponsor, Mishimoto, for a new intercooler, radiator overflow, some new (not cheap junk) T-bolt clamps, and some new silicone couplers as well as a few other things. So when that gets here I'll be removing the grill and bumper, removing the "placeholder" ebay stuff and mount the new goods in their place, and then adjusting everything accordingly. I'll also be likely removing the main grill in general and building some filler panels to direct air at the intercooler and radiator. It will look cool I think - more protruding and visible like Bill's Valiant. And then this will be the centerpiece:
http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-small.html

LOVE the looks of that intercooler! You go, guy!!! :blob:

Thanks bill. Still waiting on it to get here, they had an issue shipping it out so It'll be here in the middle of next week. I'm too excited for new stuff to be patient.

Well, today I got some carburetor goodies. I was running a 14.2 afr on cruise, and only a 12-13 on boost, so I took the carb apart, cleaned it up, put it back, checked all my mods and everything is holding well and sealed, so I decided to jet up, just a little more.

The JB weld was still holding on the plug for the vacuum port at the bottom of the powervalve cavity.

You can also see that massive 3/8" boost reference I popped in the side there. I opened up the pvcrs just a tad, almost barely noticable, My Boost referenced power valve was still in tact, the diaphragm is still good.

For those that haven't seen it. Apparently my "bracket" works, because the spring is sitll holding against the valve, and under a bit of pressure on the back of the valve, it opens.

So I went from 65s to 70s on the jets, and I also bought some 73s just in case, and some new gaskets. The Pepboys nearby has all this Holley and Edelbrock stuff on the shelf now so you just go down the aisle and pick whatever you need. Very nice.

I also bought a sight glass, which is nice - I didn't think you'd be able to see anything, but sure enough, with the magnification, you can see fuel in the bowl - totally cool. This will make it easier to adjust the float if need be ever.

And along with all that I picked up a Spectre Throttle return arm. It was $5.00. This solved a massive problem I had, which was the spring return I have returns to the turbine.

As you can see it crushed the turbo blanket like that and didn't always return nicely. So this piece raised it. $5.00 solution - works good.

Sight glass in:

And I also bought a huge length of 2 1/2" silicone tubing to get rid of the multiple junctions in my cold side piping. I went from needing 11 T clamps to hold the system together to only needing 8. So that's an improvement. Less joints, less possibility of losing the tube, Bill knows what I'm talking about.

Also as you can see, I stripped the rest of the paint off the radiator and went at it with a circular wire brush to make a swirl pattern in it. It looks cool, can't tell from the pic though.

Thanks bill. Still waiting on it to get here, they had an issue shipping it out so It'll be here in the middle of next week. I'm too excited for new stuff to be patient.

The waiting is the hard part, but it helps if you can use that time to accomplish something else that needed doing (and looks like you have!)

It's amazing that we don't just give up, when confronted with the number and sometimes, degree, of problems these mechanical mistresses hand us, seemingly, on an unending basis.:banghead:

I mean, I had waited FIVE YEARS to get my bucket of bolts to a strip with a set of clocks, confident in the assumption that the fresh 904 I'd had built, would likely be the LEAST of my problems..... think again, BOZO....:eek:ops:

Just when you think you have all the bases covered, Murphy slips you a ringer... and manages to throw all your best-laid-plans, into the dumpster.

So, I sit here and wait for the call that says, "Come and get it; we'll try it again..."

It takes a special kind of hard head to deal with that kind of self-abuse. It's no fun at all...

At least Steve Nitti had some measure of self-satisfaction when he twisted that 904's input shaft in two at the MATS race a couple of years ago; that was probably the first time a slant six had done that in the history of the engine...

All I have is the sickening memory of the car wanting to move forward, no matter what position I selected, PARK thru all the others...

I have spent a lot of time on this board, espousing the merits of the 904, confident that I was giving good advice (as far as I knew.) After all, the 904 in my other car had survived 10 years of sporadic, drag strip abuse at the hands of yours truly, seeing how much pereformance I could wring out of a 500+ HP engine (my Vortech Supercharged 360 Magnum,) in a 3,400-pound car with slicks on, yet.

Then, this happens, and my credibility as a source of good information as regards transmisssion choices, goes right out the window.
:wack:
Like I said; it takes a special kind of mindset to live with that sort of embarrassment.

But, it's what I do...
#-o

Attachments

• valleave(5)2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 408
Well, I tuned the carb and adjusted the float, and then after about 5 minutes of idling that clear sight plug broke in half and the carb started dribbling bits of gas out the side of the float bowl. I dug the rest of the sight out with a flat head and then looked them up. Good thing I didn't run it. Turns out they dissolve in gas. Lesson learned... oh well - what's the point then? I can adjust the fuel till it drips out and it's correct anyway...

Turns out they dissolve in gas. Lesson learned... oh well - what's the point then? I can adjust the fuel till it drips out and it's correct anyway...

This is a sight plug that screws into a carburetor float bowl, and it is made of a material that DISSOLVES IN GASOLINE?

LOL!!!

Incredible...:eek:ops:

This is a sight plug that screws into a carburetor float bowl, and it is made of a material that DISSOLVES IN GASOLINE?

LOL!!!

Incredible...:eek:ops:

That's what it looks like. And it doesn't last long either. It just disintegrated... I thought this would be a permanent thing, but no - even Holley suggests it's just "a tuning tool" so... I don't get the point. I figured I'd be able to see the fuel and never pop the bowl off again to see if there's a problem. You really can see the fuel level through it through some kind of magic of magnification. But lo and behold... it fell apart. I tried the 2nd one that came in the pack, same thing. They just don't stay.

I don't think the gas hurts them I believe it is the alcohol/methanol in the gas .

I don't think the gas hurts them I believe it is the alcohol/methanol in the gas .

That's probably what it is - agreed, but either way - it doesn't survive the conditions of actually being a carburetor with modern readily available fuel, and I use premium as well.

Ever thought of doing a rear mounted turbo like they do at sts ?

I had a quick thought about it, but then I don't want to run oil to the rear of the car, then have a sump push it back... and have to plumb in all that intake tubing under the car... too much - especially when I have room under the hood for all of it and I'm not looking to hide it.

Well, today I started a new project that was kind of 2 different things in one. I modified the front grill, and I also started repainting it.

This is where I was at currently, I had blacked out everything except for the silver, and the "chrome" across the center.

20150523_143511_zpsibs9b8i0.jpg

20150523_143525_zpsnx7scma8.jpg

it didn't look bad, but I was ready for a refresh. I took the bezels and grill out, and pondered a way to leave it out completely, but that just wouldn't work with the headlights and the parking lights that would just dangle there, so I knew I had to push forward with my idea, which was to do harmful things to this grill...

Basically the new Intercooler coming from my sponsor has this really cool logo on the front, reading out "mishimoto" and looking at the intercooler through the grill before hid it too much. Hiding it was an option, but the rest of the car screams "turbocharged slant six" so I'm not keeping any secrets.

The new intercooler has the ports in the center of the core, not at one side like the current one, and is a little smaller, so it will be visible right across the open port I made at the bottom of the grill. I guess it will make sense once it's in - it's hard to explain. But this is what I did today.

20150523_144443_zpsrnorpbk4.jpg

Once the grill was off, I made some notes to myself on things I want to fix before it goes back on, - one being a small bend I need to lift up on the bumper.

Anyway -

You gotta make the first cut to do it, and I went all in - no going back. I used side cutters and removed the lower half of the grill combs.

20150523_145531_zpstzevvysh.jpg

Side cutters cut right through them if anyone was ever wondering. Then I took my dremel with some 80 grit on it and cleaned up the excess, and made everything nice and smooth, and rounded over any sharp edges that came about.

20150523_152014_zpsip5betrz.jpg

I cleaned and sanded everything except for the chrome around the edges. That part I masked off so it would still be chrome. Then I shot some wheel paint by Dupont (I think it was) at all three pieces. It was not overly bright which is perfect, and is very similar to the silver that was on the lower part of the grill, but a touch lighter.

20150523_160217_zpspticibgl.jpg

I got on about 6 coats about 10 minutes apart, and it looks real good.

My next step was to take my small sword brush and a lettering brush to paint the black in with a satin, but once I saw what the grill looked like as just silver, I'm debating leaving it. It's kind of cool I think. I did a "mock up" by just resting it where it goes after it dried.

20150523_183409_zpsw2m4bsnd.jpg

I'm thinking I might paint the black lines on the top section so that the grill looks like horizontal strips up there - but not sure. The complete silver field up there makes it look like a fence or something. But I don't think I should make any final decisions till the new intercooler gets here. I might put that in and wind up thinking it looks just fine. We'll see. The whole front definitly needs just a bit of accents somewhere. Tomorrow I'll think more on it.

One other thought is to remove the center section entirely, so the grill ends at the parking lights on each side, and just has the frame portion running horizontaly on top and bottom, then I could clean up the area behind the grill real nice, and maybe add some aluminum plates to clean up.... so many ideas, but basically I'm invested now, and eventually I will wind up with a product that looks nice, right now - not so much. But I'll get there!

I think you just screwed the pooch in regards to making folks think you're driving a sled... LOL!

That intercooler is a dead giveaway that this in not your Grandmother's slant six! :evil2:

Mine is no better...

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_3614-001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 388
-
Back