Slant 6 Turbo 68Dart Project

-
Man, I am impressed! Not so much with the wrapping job (which is very cool,) but with the way you use time! Your time-management skills are just really enviable! I WISH I could get things done like you do! You seem to get something significant done EVERY DAY!!! And stll find the time to post on here... with great-quality pictures, yet... a time-consuming endeavor, if you didn't do anything else.

I hope your boss appreciates that facet of your makeup. If he does, you'll probably soon have his job (if, you want it.)

Keep up the good work; a lot of us are watching this project (and admiring your work habits.):cheers:

Haha. I wish the "boss" would do so. He wants me to take over eventually... since he's my dad. But would you also believe me if I said the days I don't work on this car I am working on a different dart? lol.

I also really like the new grill I redid. I am thinking about painting the bumper with the same silver. It's rusted to hell... and it bugs me, but I don't want it black.

dartmoto_zpsaxzvqxas.jpg

Wow! That looks sharp Dave. I agree with everything Bill said in the previous post. I wish I was 1/10 as efficient as you are with your time.

Mike

Haha. I wish the "boss" would do so. He wants me to take over eventually... since he's my dad. But would you also believe me if I said the days I don't work on this car I am working on a different dart? lol.

I also really like the new grill I redid. I am thinking about painting the bumper with the same silver. It's rusted to hell... and it bugs me, but I don't want it black.

dartmoto_zpsaxzvqxas.jpg

Wow! That looks sharp Dave. I agree with everything Bill said in the previous post. I wish I was 1/10 as efficient as you are with your time.

Mike

If you ever need to get something done, park the car in front of my shop, it'll be in my way and I'll help you finish it! Hahah!

I did a thing today also, took a lot of work, can you tell what happened?

20150612_174453_zpsr58nynp0.jpg

If you ever need to get something done, park the car in front of my shop, it'll be in my way and I'll help you finish it! Hahah!

I did a thing today also, took a lot of work, can you tell what happened?

20150612_174453_zpsr58nynp0.jpg

You painted your engine compartment?:blob:

Looks great! Is there ANYTHING you can't do??:coffee2:

I don't know - there's probably a lot. I don't weld very well for sure. I am also certain that performing brain surgery might be difficult for my skill set. haha. There was a significant failure en route to the car show today. See here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=317349

Also because of it I have to inspect the car, it was towed home while i was away from it, and I heard they had some issue hooking it up because the steering wheel didn't lock, so depending on how they did it, the transmission could be f***ed. We'll know soon. But I won't be doing any work to the car for a couple days. I'm not mad at the car, so much as we are just not on speaking terms. It's not her fault.

Oh Shoot!

I hope you are doing ok. I just read your post. A friend in high school got a good burn that way.

The tow company should have been able to deal with a nonlocking steering wheel. Virtually every car made prior to 1970 does not have one. New tow truck drivers without a lot of experience is my bet.

Get well soon Dave!

Mike

I don't know - there's probably a lot. I don't weld very well for sure. I am also certain that performing brain surgery might be difficult for my skill set. haha. There was a significant failure en route to the car show today. See here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=317349

Also because of it I have to inspect the car, it was towed home while i was away from it, and I heard they had some issue hooking it up because the steering wheel didn't lock, so depending on how they did it, the transmission could be f***ed. We'll know soon. But I won't be doing any work to the car for a couple days. I'm not mad at the car, so much as we are just not on speaking terms. It's not her fault.

Oh Shoot!

I hope you are doing ok. I just read your post. A friend in high school got a good burn that way.

The tow company should have been able to deal with a nonlocking steering wheel. Virtually every car made prior to 1970 does not have one. New tow truck drivers without a lot of experience is my bet.

Get well soon Dave!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

But I won't be doing any work to the car for a couple days. I'm not mad at the car, so much as we are just not on speaking terms. It's not her fault.

I wondered what it would take to slow you down... Now, I know.

Sorry you got hurt; you didn't deserve that.

Hang in there. one of life's lessons learned; the hard way. :banghead:.

Well, I am mostly all better, just not very pretty looking right now, but 90% of my face is good now. Luckily I was wearing sunglasses so the areas around my eyes were singed, but not bad off.

I decided to take it easy, but I've been inside for a week, and I was starting to get a little irritated not being outside. I just can not sit still, I don't know if anyone could tell that about me. I have to feel productive or I feel lazy and useless.

So I did a couple things.

I went to Lowe's and got a sink strainer for a sink drain - found a stainless steel one, and I mounted that in the upper radiator hose and clamped it to the radiator inlet. I started to see some little black rust particles, so I am not about to let this new rad go to waste.

20150619_151648_zpszdg1kl6t.jpg

I also undid the hose on the bottom of the turbo that drains into the oil pan. I figured I should check to see if I have oil pressure, since I was losing a lot of it out of the side of the pan when this fitting came lose. JB weld and screwing that AN fitting in there didn't do a bit of good. The fitting pushed into the pan somehow, and then the rod started smacking it, till it smacked it out of position and let it leak all over. You could hear the rod/crank hitting it, that's how i know it was happening, then when removed, the noise stopped.

I am building a new fitting, that welds to the pan, and has JB as well just for double assurance. But, I have not finished building it.

20150618_162943_zps4gtyhehn.jpg

It's ugly, but I ran water through it, and it's fully functional. Pretty soon I'll be able to grind it smooth, and then weld it on, but not today.

Anyway, I detached the hose, and put the end of it in a cup to see if I had oil pressure. I did, as the cup filled up in literally less than a second. So no worries there.

It was interesting to see what that frothy oil looks like when it comes out of the turbo.

20150620_135656_zpsxmle3df3.jpg

But it's also pitch black - time for a change I guess. Once I change it I'll be installing the oil cooler system, since it's all in one go. I do however need another 5 foot section of push-lock to do that...

I also did some radiator cap investigation. I put the cap that failed on the rad, rated for 18psi, and squeezed the upper radiator hose. Nothing happened. I put the stant 18psi cap on, and squeezed the upper radiator hose - at a certain point, you could hear liquid shoot down the hose into the catch can. I switched back to the other cap that failed - squeezed as hard as I could - just held the pressure, and discharged nothing - not even air.

I don't know if that's necessarily a problem, but that thing built a ton of pressure and it all came shooting out at once. The entire upper tank was empty, and I had to put back 1/2 a gallon of coolant. All that is what went skyward into my face originally.

I put the stant cap on, drove around - never went past 180 degrees - as it is supposed to. That was really all I did for today. I just drove to the gas station to get an Arizona Iced tea... which is like my daily fix.

Glad to hear you are doing better Dave.

I used to have your kind of energy. Two kidney transplants and 3 1/2 years of dialysis makes me a tired old guy I guess. :)

Even a little run time can turn your oil black. But an oil change is cheaper than rebuilding an engine. Look forward to your install of your oil cooler. That is something I put on the want list when I thought about going turbo. Seems to make sense as the oil is going to get hot, hotter than a naturally aspirated engine anyway.

Any restrictions health wise? Stay out of the sun, wear a hat?
Take care of yourself.

Mike

Glad to hear you are doing better Dave.

I used to have your kind of energy. Two kidney transplants and 3 1/2 years of dialysis makes me a tired old guy I guess. :)Mike

No, Mike, ~I~ am a a tired old guy, with the emphasis on "OLD." Seventy-six...

Everything slows down... everything.

I am sorry for your health problems, though; it sounds like you've been through a lot of energy-sapping ordeals.

Hang in there!:cheers:

No super big updates, so I'm going to share a little about myself here-

Well, I know I jump around in projects a lot, but I am starting a new construction piece for the '68 Turbo Dart, and it will be both a form, and function piece, and I'll make a pattern and sell it if someone else decides they want one down the line, but more on that when I start it.

As for the rest of the car, it gets driven every day, seems to be operating fine, can't wait to get this "new" block from the shop landlord. Taking forever and it's only 200 feet away from my shop...

Otherwise I am making headway on the Fiance's '74 Dart Custom. What a truly reliable car that has turned out to be - got close to 5,000 miles on it so far from our use, and don't hesitate to take it for a 3 hour drive if need be. It's also dead silent inside. It has the Quiet car package or something like that and pretty much every option ever. But the outside got neglected. I am almost done with body work on it, then going to get the rest of the paint off and paint. Lots to do, and two cars to occupy my time...

On top of the two cars, one of our projects at my work is nearing completion. In case no one knew what I do for a living I'm a carpenter- me and my father restore antique and classic wood boats. This one we fully rebuilt - not much of the original boat left besides about 50% of the frames - the rest was unsalvagable. It's a 26' 1957 Chris Craft -U-26. It got its first coat of varnish the other day, after being stained and bleached.

IMG_20141010_153930_zpsba340ee6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The other in the shop is a custom 1 of a kind 30' Hackercraft, 1947 "Streamliner" - maybe 25% of the original boat there. It has a 1947 Cadillac dashboard which was installed factory - we assume it was a Cadillac executive or a guy who really liked his car and wanted the boat just like it. We recreated the dash with the help of Hills Rod and Custom. The boat also sports a Rolls Royce Meteor V-12 fully marinized. I spent the better half of today finishing the custom 5" exhaust cutouts for this beast. It will be loud.

20150409_124642_zps6yoscvkb.jpg

I've been doing boats since I was 12 basically, but for two years i did a stint working on a wood roller coaster - wood and steel repairs, 80 feet in the air... that was a different experience. I quit that job last July - I didn't get to make anything nice and it bothered me. Just repairing the same things over and over.

IMG_20140630_065439_zpsfe852688.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When I don't work on the cars, or boats, I like to resto-mod antiques and then decorate my house with them. I mostly like bakelite radios. But I have also done fans. I did a Zero and a Westinghouse that both function.

IMG_20140610_184323_zps7b030f29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20140613_082914_zps34011d3f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a couple of my radios:
1948 GE
CAM00886_zpsf047fab8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1952 Arvin:

Aside from that, I am a 26 year old father of 2 and going to get married next year, and this will be the 2nd and last time I do that. So now you know a little bit about Dave, and from now on - only car updates, unless someone likes wood boats - I love talking about those too.

You are a busy and amazingly talented man. Second time will.be a charm with the wedding, it is obvious how devoted you are to whatever you take on.

Beautiful projects that you shared.....I especially love the Cadillac boat, what a work of art!

Thanks

Dave,

You are an artist!

The boats are beautiful and the craftsmanship on everything you touch is enviable.

Thanks for sharing and please don't be shy about sharing your other projects.

Of course I am interested in your slant six idea you are working on.

Hope you are healing up well.

Mike

Dave,

You are an artist!

The boats are beautiful and the craftsmanship on everything you touch is enviable.

Thanks for sharing and please don't be shy about sharing your other projects.

Of course I am interested in your slant six idea you are working on.

Hope you are healing up well.

Mike

Thanks guys. Mike, my face is pretty much back to normal so I am ok to go outside allowed by dr. which is nice... but I was kind of going outside anyway... just not very much. Don't tell anyone.

Today I wore myself out doing something stupid/briliant. I painted the '74 with a roller. Fiance's happy with it, so besides some cutting and buffing, and repainting the roof over, I'd say I'm happy with it too. She's not as critical about stuff as other people, so even if there's bad spots, she overlooks them super hard.

I had no idea what I was doing - just mixed a gallon of some oil based paint, thinned it a little and taped some stuff off, went to town with a few rollers. I was surprised it layed down at all. I didn't expect that. So now, I can take a break from the '74 since I won't get any time to work on it now that she has a new job where she wants to drive to work.

I get to move my attention back to the '68.... Also, I call this custom color; "High Impact Oceanography"

20150624_190609_zps49k2zujb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks guys. Mike, my face is pretty much back to normal so I am ok to go outside allowed by dr. which is nice... but I was kind of going outside anyway... just not very much. [/Q

David; you probably don't realize the extent of your many talents, but they seem near-comprehensive in scope, and I can only say that all of us who are aware of your impressive abilities are justifiably jealous! You are a lucky man!

I am so very happy that your talents include an ability to analyze the vagaries of such a weird an esoteric phenomenon such as the turbocharged slant six. Lesser minds just shake their collective heads and wonder why anyone would bother, when swapping a V8 into the engine bay is so simple, but you have a good grasp on the pragmatic aspect of this activity, and the curiosity to drive it to fruition. I am glued to the screen here, watching your every move, because I KNOW that somewhere down the road, you will ultimately get together the wherewithall to install a forged reciprocating assembly in that 225 that will enable you to run boost levels, safely, that will result in 500+ horsepower, like Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson do... The potential is there...

I know you'll end up with that combination, eventually... I just don't know when...

I wish you luck in all you do.

I was a SF Bay Area denizen from 1980 'til 2004, when I retired and moved back to Arkansas. Lived in Walnut Creek from 1980 'til 1988; Hayward from then 'til 2004, when I moved back to Arkansas (Conway, a Little Rock suburb.) Grew up in Little Rock.

That came out surprisingly good.

My dad used to talk about painting his vw bug with a roller but I bet it did not come out near as good as this.

I know you are waiting on your shop neighbor to make up his mind or contact you about the engine but I just saw this on craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/5064775974.html He has a 225 among all his stuff for sale.

Not nearly as many extras as that other one but something to think about.

Mike.

Thanks guys. Mike, my face is pretty much back to normal so I am ok to go outside allowed by dr. which is nice... but I was kind of going outside anyway... just not very much. Don't tell anyone.

Today I wore myself out doing something stupid/briliant. I painted the '74 with a roller. Fiance's happy with it, so besides some cutting and buffing, and repainting the roof over, I'd say I'm happy with it too. She's not as critical about stuff as other people, so even if there's bad spots, she overlooks them super hard.

I had no idea what I was doing - just mixed a gallon of some oil based paint, thinned it a little and taped some stuff off, went to town with a few rollers. I was surprised it layed down at all. I didn't expect that. So now, I can take a break from the '74 since I won't get any time to work on it now that she has a new job where she wants to drive to work.

I get to move my attention back to the '68.... Also, I call this custom color; "High Impact Oceanography"

20150624_190609_zps49k2zujb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzsNUFlkt1U&feature=youtu.be"]Rustoleum $62 Paint Job Pt 2 - YouTube[/ame]

One hour's worth of work consolidated into 30 seconds.

I should be working on the '68, but just trying to get this done, get the stripes on, and wash my hands of it.

If you guys are wondering why nothing new is happening with the turbo slant, I keep getting sidetracked:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=320375

I promise to get back to the plan ya know... when I'm done goofing off with the other car for the week. I think once THIS piece is done... I can leave it alone. I'm just having a lot of fun with both cars - not going to lie. lol

If you guys are wondering why nothing new is happening with the turbo slant, I keep getting sidetracked:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=320375

I promise to get back to the plan ya know... when I'm done goofing off with the other car for the week. I think once THIS piece is done... I can leave it alone. I'm just having a lot of fun with both cars - not going to lie. lol

Do you mind giving some of your awesomeness to us? That would be greatly appreciated. :D

-
Back