Slant Six Oil Filter Mod

-
Did you use the powder for the ultrasonic cleaner? Dont know what that would do for carbs, but it gets the wife's wedding ring sparkling clean. The move from spin on to cartridge oil filters is mainly landfill related: no metal means easy biodegradability, and they are cheaper to manufacture. Downside is the new plastic tops are awkward to access sometimes (although much easier than some of the spin ons!) and are easily cross-threaded (but cheap to replace).
"...One of the most popular benefits of the cartridge filter is that if it’s mounted upright, the filter can be opened and inspected without draining the oil. As for the elements themselves, the performance is the same as a spin-on filter, and there are different types of media available, with pleated paper being the most economical..." Ha, whats old is new again!
Here are some pics of the classic old Mopar cartridge filter system on my 'modernized' slant:
View attachment 1715359545 View attachment 1715359546 View attachment 1715359547 View attachment 1715359548

"Some" of those don't have metal. That one you have still has metal ends. The WIX replacement still has a completely metal body. I like the canister filter. I thought about going to that, but I "already" had the Ford adapter and it fit, so I used it. I do kinda like how they're starting to use the canister filters again, though. The diesel trucks have been doing it for some time now. Some have never stopped.

Did you use the powder for the ultrasonic cleaner? Dont know what that would do for carbs, but it gets the wife's wedding ring sparkling clean. The move from spin on to cartridge oil filters is mainly landfill related: no metal means easy biodegradability, and they are cheaper to manufacture. Downside is the new plastic tops are awkward to access sometimes (although much easier than some of the spin ons!) and are easily cross-threaded (but cheap to replace).
"...One of the most popular benefits of the cartridge filter is that if it’s mounted upright, the filter can be opened and inspected without draining the oil. As for the elements themselves, the performance is the same as a spin-on filter, and there are different types of media available, with pleated paper being the most economical..." Ha, whats old is new again!
Here are some pics of the classic old Mopar cartridge filter system on my 'modernized' slant:
View attachment 1715359545 View attachment 1715359546 View attachment 1715359547 View attachment 1715359548

I'm also diggin how your DIS really cleans up "that side" of the engine, too. Really looks nice. "I assume" you have a fuel pump block off plate as well?

^^yup^^^ just waiting for the final clean off to rattle can that side industrial red. No distributor, no mechanical fuel pump. EDIS ignition and frame mounted high pressure fuel pump.
20190705_191659.jpg

nope, still working on the EFI...when I can.....which is like never. :-(

I like the little catch pan/ splash shield below the filter..Also wanted to do something similar (90 degree adapter) on my 440 when I had it (or a remote filter). Great Idea!

Last edited:
I like the little catch pan/ splash shield below the filter..Also wanted to do something similar (90 degree adapter) on my 440 when I had it (or a remote filter). Great Idea!

That's a factory piece. If you don't have one, someone removed it and didn't put it back. It also helps keep road splash off the distributor.

-
Back