Slant six racing

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Dear Slant Sixers,

We have the Eastern race schedule mostly confirmed for 2015. Please check back here, and/or with the race coordinators as you make your plans to attend these races.

1) April 11, MoKan Dragway, Asbury, Missouri (near Joplin/Carthage, MO). MoPars Invade MoKan (Saturday SL6 Race - 1/4 mile) This race is cross-listed with the West Coast series. Race coordinator/contacts are Mark Goodman and Rusty Heisten.

2) May 16-17, Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown, Maryland. Saturday Slant 6 drag race. Sunday Mopar show with Slant 6 drag race. 1/4 mile. Race coordinator is Rick Covalt.

3) June 19-20, Wilkesboro Dragway, North Wilkesboro, N. Carolina. Friday night and Saturday Slant 6 drag races. 1/8 mile. Saturday morning car show at Empire Chrysler Plymouth starting around 9 AM. Sponsor Tim Harrold - Empire Chrysler Dodge Jeep. Race coordinators Ron and Kay Hamby.

4) July 24-25, I-40 Dragway, Crossville, Tennessee. Friday night and Saturday Slant 6 drag races. 1/8 mile. Rain date Sunday July 26. Race coordinators Rodney and Alanna Hargis.

5) September 4-5, Thunder Valley Dragway, Bristol, Tennessee. Friday night and Saturday Slant 6 drag races as part of Mopar/Ford show. 1/4 mile. Race coordinators Brian Mimken and Jack Everhart. THIS RACE MAY POSSIBLY BE MOVED TO THE LAST WEEKEND IN AUGUST - WILL CONFIRM SOON.

6) September 26-27, Mountain Park Dragway, Clay City, Kentucky. Saturday and Sunday Slant 6 drag races as part of Mopar/Ford show. 1/4 mile. Race coordinator is Wayne Venable.

7) October 10-11 or 24-25, Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown, Maryland. Saturday Slant 6 drag race. Sunday Slant 6 drag race. 1/4 mile. Race coordinator is Rick Covalt. STILL CONFIRMING DATES.

ALSO, there has been talk of a Cedar Falls, Iowa race. If anyone knows details about this (is it happening, dates?), please contact me or make a separate post about this race and we can add it to the schedule.

West coast:
1. March 27 - 29 MATS Las Vegas Sunday (1 SL6 Race)

2. April 11 MoKan Dragway, MoPars Invade MoKan (Sat. SL6 Race - 1/4 mile)

3. May 23 - 24 Redding Sat & Sun Races

4. June 27 - 28 Woodburn Sat & Sun (1 SL6 Race on Sat.)

5. July 11 - 12 Samoa Sat & Sun Races

6. August 15 - 16 Woodburn Sat & Sun (1 SL6 Race on Sat.)

7. August 30 Sacramento (All Mopar event) 1 SL6 Race

8. October 10 -11 Redding Sat & Sun Races

Further info can be found on slantsix.org.

Now, let's get to work on prepping those Slant 6 racecars for the 2015 series, folks!!

Wish they had not dropped the /6 races at the Mopar Nats. Used to be very entertaining.

I will be at the race in may at Mason Dixon! New bigger clutch should be in tomorrow night,hopefully it will hold better than the current stock clutch and then final tuning can be done.... And maybe a fresh coat of paint for the poor ugly valiant...

Attachments

• IMG_20150204_200848798.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_20141227_133425239.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 769
Mason Dixon, my favorite race of all the slant races I've been to.

:( I guess the last meet at The Silver Dollar just wasn't enough.

:( I guess the last meet at The Silver Dollar just wasn't enough.

Just could not get enough interest. Ed Swearingen, the track owner, was super nice, offered us a great deal. But not enough cars showed up. He was fine with the car count, but I wasn't. A lot of work for just 3 cars.

I am going to try and make M-D. That track treats us real good also, and I usually do well, there. But it is a long pull for me, over 900 miles each way.

Just could not get enough interest. Ed Swearingen, the track owner, was super nice, offered us a great deal. But not enough cars showed up. He was fine with the car count, but I wasn't. A lot of work for just 3 cars.

I am going to try and make M-D. That track treats us real good also, and I usually do well, there. But it is a long pull for me, over 900 miles each way.

Charrlie; thanks a lot for this list.

I will try my absolute best to make one or a few of these races this year. My car is virtually ready to race, and I have a trailer, now, so the excuses are getting thinner.. I really want to see what this assortment of nuts and bolts will do on a real strip. :prayer:

YOU are amazing... in the best possible way!!!:cheers:

Attachments

• 100_3921.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 663
  • 100_3925.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 100_3912.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 663
Hi, Gary V. here ...
I would love to attend one of the slant six drag races on your 2015 schedule. I live in upstate NY and your scheduled races are all a couple states away, tough but not impossible.
Here are a couple pics of my car. 62 Val with a 225/904, 8 3/4 rear axle. I race it as a club racer at the local 1/4 mile track. What are the rules for your S6 races ?
Thanks, Gary

View attachment 000_0003.jpg

View attachment 000_0006.jpg

Gary, we would love to have you at our races. Our rules are real simple. Car has to have a Mopar Slant Six engine. Any thing else is legal. Car must meet NHRA/IHRA safety requirements for the ET the car runs. The only other rule is to have fun. The races are run "bracket" style, to give everyone a fair chance. The race at Mason-Dixon, in Hagerstown, Md. May 16-17, is probably the nearest one for you, and is generally one of our largest. I know what you mean about the distance, as I am i Florida, and all the Slant Six races are more then 500 miles away from me. M-D is about 1,000 miles, but I am going to try and make it.

PS: Most of the slant racers are over at www.slantsix.org
PPS: Here is a link to a video at M-D in 2012. All the runs are slant six cars. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se4n19Frn2A"]Slant Six Mason Dixon Spring 2012 720p - YouTube[/ame]

Charlie ... Mason Dixon looks like a nice low-key track, just my style. I will compare my schedule to your race schedule, see what I can work out, and get some more details.
Thanks for the cool video link, my car would fit in nicely. ... Thanks again, Gary V.

I'm the race coordinator for the race at Mason Dixon. A great time is always had by everyone no matter how fast or slow you go. We have everything from 22 sec. floaters to no less than the world's fastest slant 6 car. (Will Burn's Cuda) we usually have 13-17 Slant 6 cars and I already have some new folks planning to come. I Know a lot of you are far away but give it a shot and I am sure you will enjoy the ride.

Gary your car looks cool! The Heath's from Maine usually come down in the Spring. Maybe you could follow them down. Dgswinger and I have already talked and he is in our back yard. Bill we'd love to have you too! But I understand how far it is. Maybe we will meet up at Clay City, Kentucky later in the Fall.

I will be posting shortly over on Slant6.org. Just look into the calendar for details.
Rick Covalt

PS. This track loves to have us there and treats us like we are running in a Hemi Shootout or something! No kidding. We always get to run first too! It is nice to be wanted.

Glad to see you post on here Rick! We have been busy on the valiant its running great feels like twice the power of the original engine. Put the bigger clutch in so no slipping now! Pulled the 600 edelbrock off and put on a 390 Holley 4bbl. Its currently sanded to bare metal doing some finish body work the. Gonna get a fresh coat of primer and paint hopefully this week sometime! After that next thing on the check list is 340hd rear leaf springs and the 8 3/4 then off to the exhaust shop... Waiting to do that last in case we decide to swap to headers! Hope to catch up with you guys soon I've gotta drop that oil pan off anyway.

On a side note.. I won't make it Saturday for testing, my daughter plays on a traveling ball team and they have a game Saturday but we will be there for sure Sunday for the Mason Dixon Mopar day!

Rick, Good to see you on this site. Yes the M-D Maryland race is my favorite,,even if it is close to 3,000 miles away. I hope to have another slant car soon. I got my intake(thanks Rick) so that's a start. For those that have never raced with the Slanters,we are one big happy family of fun.

Just an FYI. The slant six race at M-D is not TnT on Sat, and race on Sun. It is two races, one on Sat and one on Sun. You do not have to be there both days, but if you are it is double your fun, and double your chances of a win.
We usually all pit together, and the times I have been there, the track owner/manager and the announcer usually come to our pit area, and talk to the racers to get background info, about where the people are from and what is unique about their cars. The announcer keeps up good chatter about our cars.

Just an FYI. The slant six race at M-D is not TnT on Sat, and race on Sun. It is two races, one on Sat and one on Sun. You do not have to be there both days, but if you are it is double your fun, and double your chances of a win.
We usually all pit together, and the times I have been there, the track owner/manager and the announcer usually come to our pit area, and talk to the racers to get background info, about where the people are from and what is unique about their cars. The announcer keeps up good chatter about our cars.

Sorry if I made it sound like Saturday is TnT for slant six cars at the M-D race, I usually run a V8 car so I run test passes on saturday. But I've gotta tell ya I'm more excited to be part of the /6 race this year. You guys are like a big happy family. always friendly and always happy to talk about you rides... That's one of the reasons we will be a part of that race this year you guys are very welcoming! Even if we have the slowest car there it will still be a blast to be part of it!

I'll definitely be at the Crossville race with the absolute slowest race car the sport has ever seen!

I don't know about that. At Knoxville, one time, I had to give about 9 second head start, in the 1/8 mile, and I was running mid 8 sec.
PS: It was in the final, and I got beat.

Bill we'd love to have you too! But I understand how far it is. Maybe we will meet up at Clay City, Kentucky later in the Fall.

Thanks for thinking of me, Rick, but here's where I am on this project right now: The car has mixture issues (LEAN!) that I am going to have to get ironed out before April 9, That is when the Mo-Kan dragway is having their slant six race, and I would really like to be there for it. There is a green '62 Lancer, naturally-aspirated car that is just awesome, who will likely be there. Runs high 10's.... That has to be something to see!!!
Anyway, I have some work to do on his old bucket of bolts before I am comfortable taking ot 250 miles away to race. It has never been down the drag strip, at this point, and I need to get at least a little seat time... Don't want any .375 lights... lol!

It's 1,000 miles, give or take, for me to Maryland.... not gonna happen: I am no Charrlie S.! He's astounding!

Good luck at M-D!!!!:cheers:

Attachments

• 100_3797.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 523
[Gary your car looks cool! The Heath's from Maine usually come down in the Spring. Maybe you could follow them down. Dgswinger and I have already talked and he is in our back yard. Bill we'd love to have you too! But I understand how far it is. Maybe we will meet up at Clay City, Kentucky later in the Fall.]

Thanks Rick,
I have been to Carlisle PA for the Mopar shows. Looks like Mason Dixon is just an hour or two farther South. I think I can handle that. ... Gary V.

WhitePunk, It's all about having fun. 170 CID 63 Valiant,bone stone stock ran a 21.74@68 mph.You know what ? Nobody cares.Lots of times people are cheering on the slower cars to take out the faster cars.

All right! Just confirmed that I can get off work to come to Mason Dixon in May! I've always missed it because I work weekends, but now that I have Subday off I should be there!:)

-
Back