Small Block shootout on speedchannel

-

66dartman

Reaction score
I watched a couple of muscle car shootouts on speed channel last night and the big block cars they rated the hemi challenger last and on the small block cars the challenger t/a was next to last even though it kicked tail in the 0-60 and 1/4 mi. This guy Peter Klutt is a chevy loving idiot. You can tell by listening to him that he is a chevy guy because he doesn't know very much. He said that all the street Hemis had aluminun heads! I think we all know the real score.

He can sure drive the hell outta those cars though. It wasn;t a fair test as even he said about the hemi that the clutch was slipping bad...

Plus I'd be suspect at the state of tune in all those cars... the 1/4mile times for the hemi where sorta slow I thought.... toss a good tune on it and watch it pick up

66dartman said:
I watched a couple of muscle car shootouts on speed channel last night and the big block cars they rated the hemi challenger last and on the small block cars the challenger t/a was next to last even though it kicked tail in the 0-60 and 1/4 mi. This guy Peter Klutt is a chevy loving idiot. You can tell by listening to him that he is a chevy guy because he doesn't know very much. He said that all the street Hemis had aluminun heads! I think we all know the real score.
yes, i think your on to something. i think a better choice would have been a 440-6 pack challenger with an auto & 3.91 would have cleaned their clocks, on the small block they should have used a 340 a-body of any kind! this klutt guy sure does'nt like torsion bar suspensions either. i quess hes never seen the one lap of america flying brick, mopar actions valiant!

i saw this same show and no mater what is going on it seems as though every body judges everything based on a gm product. all i can say is i don't know of any top fuel or funny cars running an engine based on any thing but a hemi ! there is a reason for this the hemi rules!

My book.......fastest car in 1/4 mile wins. Who the hell cares about anything else ?? So the smallblock TA Challenger kicked butt big time as it was the only smallblock in the 14's.
And the Hemi would have cleaned house with a good clutch. Ron

yeah and another reason this Klutt guy is a generic motors fan is he also had a show about his vintage racing corvette. The hemi Challenger would have done better in the tests had it had power steering and power brakes like the chevelle. And who really cares about what kind of burnout you can do with stock tires? I can do a great burnout with my POS 96 ford ranger but that doesn't make it a muscle car. The Hemi would have been better served by a 727 trans with a driver that smokes clutches.

one thing about these General Monkeys & furd guys they never compare apples to apples, mopars seem to always come on the short end!

Yes, this show is GM..all the way. The fastest and quickest wasn't the winner?? Really?? My GM is slower BUT is STILL the best?? Right!! Another thing, The Hemi with it's clutch slipping all the way still pulled over 100 mph (100.79)in 1/4. Worth at least 4 mph. How much does a good loose convertor loose in mph. Same thing. The only other car that pulled 100 mph was the 4 speed 429 and at 101.18...what ..no slipping clutch?? That was less than 1/2 mph. You know the truth...they do too. And in the small block shoot out, The Challenger was the heaviest..REALLY?? Did you notice the Challenger went over 99 mph...more mph than just about ALL the big block cars did in thier test. BUT my GM is BEST... I love kickin thier butt at the strip...Terry.

ya all the crap they talked about the hemi and its slipping clutch and the fastes car doesnt win is bs. Muscle cars arent made to be autocrossers. i heard this from chrysler on speed one day and i agree there outdated and heavy. Chrysler >gm/ford.

its kinda funny when i would tell people my wagon weighed about 3300 lbs or so they couldnt believe it cause its all 'steel' to them ya thats right metal dash...whats your honda got plastic and its still about the same weight and everything else is plastic to. (unfortunally i drive a honda :silent: but i dont like it, sure its faster then my dart was, but it wouldnt have been for long if my incodent wouldnt have happened)

In the SB comparo, the Challenger waxed them in the 1/4 by almost a second, while the road course times were very close. But point wise, no difference. In fact, for the points, the brakes counted as much as accelleration. Big woo.
Plus, the Z28 and Mustang were 69 models and the Dodge was a 70? They wanted a big E-body, because a 69 A body with a 340 vs the 302's would've kicked ***.
-Shupe

Actually, you are way off on your opinion on Peter. His real love is Mustangs,most notably, Shelby's. As a teenager, I used to stop by his showroom, and check out his amazing Shelby restorations. He just purchased a Cuda from a good friend of mine,and from what I can tell, he just loves ALL performance cars. The Hemi was supposed to represent Mopar muscle, he just picked the wrong one. At a local cruise here, his partner Tom, picked a 64 Belvedere as the nicest car there. Lets not turn all Chevy, and get too defensive. Worry more about the Man,trying to squash our hobby for everyone.

And yet another thing......... Ever since I was in high school (a long time ago) chevy has been the cheapest to build and had the most enthusiasts. So it is an uphill battle to try and build a mopar. The mopars were always the best right out of the box with factory parts long before the aftermarket took over. Just look at the old Hot Rod, Car Craft and other magazines from the 60's. Mopars were the cars to beat in stock and super stock. If it wasn't for the aftermarket, chevy would be nothing. It kinda gets to me that the edelbrock heads for a sbc are $995 a pair and the small block mopar heads are $1350. Must be a lot more aluminum in the mopar heads, huh?

66dartman said:
And yet another thing......... Ever since I was in high school (a long time ago) chevy has been the cheapest to build and had the most enthusiasts. So it is an uphill battle to try and build a mopar. The mopars were always the best right out of the box with factory parts long before the aftermarket took over. Just look at the old Hot Rod, Car Craft and other magazines from the 60's. Mopars were the cars to beat in stock and super stock. If it wasn't for the aftermarket, chevy would be nothing. It kinda gets to me that the edelbrock heads for a sbc are $995 a pair and the small block mopar heads are $1350. Must be a lot more aluminum in the mopar heads, huh?

When you can more copies of something it is cheaper! I also saw the show and called :wack: :bs:.

by 2c from this :sign2:

William

if you ever notice a real fast chevy or ford, there is not alot thats left stock, aftermarket block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, etc., etc.

ya know i just cringe when that guy drag races. he knows cars (and how to price them) but i think he sucks as a driver.

mikedevore said:
if you ever notice a real fast chevy or ford, there is not alot thats left stock, aftermarket block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, etc., etc.

my shortblock wish is a 69 casting 340 has billet 4bolt mains a stock forged crank and it used to have stock rods when a previus owner was turning 9second 1/4 mile times with, try that with a chevy or ford.... :thumblef:

niw back to :drinkers:

Sure...we got Peter all wrong..he loves ALL muscle cars?? As long as a Mopar doesn't come out on top...And yes he did...pick a Mopar to reresent Mopar ..that was slipping it's clutch ALL the way down the strip...AND pulled the second highest MPH next to the FORD, by only less than 1/2 MPH. DANG slipping clutch...

Those cheby guys are like a team of horses years ago. They had blinders on so they couldn't see what was going to blow by them. LOL

-
Back