Small block w/ 3.79 crank

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a SBM with a 3.79" stroke and 6.50" long rods? If so how did you like it?

Probably not worth the expense for anything other then a ''class specific'' car. With those rods, most are built with big heads, big comp, big roller, and turn a lot of rpm. Not that it wouldn't be fun with a 5spd and some big gears. :)

Probably not worth the expense for anything other then a ''class specific'' car. With those rods, most are built with big heads, big comp, big roller, and turn a lot of rpm. Not that it wouldn't be fun with a 5spd and some big gears. :)
I've always wanted to build one. W7 headed, 14 to 1 or more and a solid roller. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with that combo.

I knew a few guys. That’s why I didn’t reply. I don’t personally know. The additional info of a W7 head puts me to knowing one person. It’s on a 340, not a stroked mill. He is assembling it now.

The 6.50 rods I’ve never heard of anyone doing.

The people I knew running a 3.79 stroke crank normally ran the W2 into the low 10’s and 9’s. They were bracket racers in the 10.0 index. I don’t think they were at 14-1.

I've always wanted to build one. W7 headed, 14 to 1 or more and a solid roller. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with that combo.
Should work fine, what are you looking to get out of it vs 340/360/408+ torque and rpm wise it will be between 360 & 408. It probably won't nose over after peak hp as much as a similar 408.

Has anyone done a SBM with a 3.79" stroke and 6.50" long rods? If so how did you like it?
It will work, so will the same crank a shorter rod and taller piston. you'll never notice the difference. Unless the piston design is so compromised by excessive rod length. You have a PM

I'm looking for about 800hp and about 8,000 rpm. Looking for a little less torque and a little more upper rpm horse power.

I'm looking for about 800hp and about 8,000 rpm. Looking for a little less torque and a little more upper rpm horse power.
800 hp @ 8000 rpms is 525 lbs-ft @ 8000 rpms, torque at peak hp is generally around 85-95% of peak torque, an engine this level probably over 90% say 92% so peak torque be about 570 lbs-ft. So for a 387 cid = 1.47 torque per cid up there but not out of the realm of possibility.

We used big block chevy forgings in our SBM and the rod length was 6.442, reground rod journal on crank to small chevy of coarse. We did not have that much stroke, we patterned ours off of a couple guys from Cleveland that ran a Duster in the very early days of Pro Gas. There car was black with the name "Marfezio&Furmancheck" on the side. Sam Gellner built there motor.

That's a lot of power out of a stock block.

800 hp @ 8000 rpms is 525 lbs-ft @ 8000 rpms, torque at peak hp is generally around 85-95% of peak torque, an engine this level probably over 90% say 92% so peak torque be about 570 lbs-ft. So for a 387 cid = 1.47 torque per cid up there but not out of the realm of possibility.
My plan is a 417" 3.79" stroke and 4.185" bore

Last edited:
We used big block chevy forgings in our SBM and the rod length was 6.442, reground rod journal on crank to small chevy of coarse. We did not have that much stroke, we patterned ours off of a couple guys from Cleveland that ran a Duster in the very early days of Pro Gas. There car was black with the name "Marfezio&Furmancheck" on the side. Sam Gellner built there motor.
Molinar makes a 6.50" long SBC rod.

I have a Molnar 3.79 crank with 2.1 journals, and Molnar 6.2” long power adder rods I’m having built with a 671. Custom pistons of course, but still collecting parts little by little.

You’re going to need every bit of that w7 head. And it’s gonna be awesome.
They ran those heads in some NASCAR classes and made about 850 hp. I can do what I want to do with 800 hp. I hope it's works out.

They ran those heads in some NASCAR classes and made about 850 hp. I can do what I want to do with 800 hp. I hope it's works out.
Didn’t the NASCAR truck series run that head?

My plan is a 417" 3.79" stroke and 4.185" bore
That is going to be awesome, my dyno partner Tim has a couple 3.79 cranks and at some point he is going to build one. We are always discussing builds to dyno test with and really wanted to find a way to do one with a 3.79 crank. We think the hp would peak at a higher rpm than a 4" and make more power as a result. I would love to throw one in my stick car, I may have to make it happen at some point.

-
Back