small nippondenso alternator, what fits a SBMopar

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Looking for a compact lightweight nippondenso alternator to fit my 318. Around 65 amps. Anybody know which one fits, and what its out of. Any custom pulleys and brackets to make it work?

65A is more than plenty for the electrical setup i am running.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Ask for a 89 toyota 4 runner I believe. That's what I have and it puts out a little over 14v at idle and has the correct pully. I would just get one from autozone with a lifetime warranty I've gone through two in about 14 years and 10k, don't know if it's the underhood heat or the rpms I run that kill them but they always give me a free one. As far as brackets I use the A/C alt bracket and a bit of cut and weld and it works fine. Someone is also making brackets for it.

Thanks for the help. Whats the output on it? How much lighter is it than the stocker? And is there any special way to wire it? My harness has an external electronic voltage regulator in the fire wall. I was told by the manufacturer not to exceed 65A with it. Whats the rough cost of one of these little gems?

Lots of questions i know.

Thanks
Matt

Thanks for the info, does this alternator have a built in voltage reg? Or do i reuse the one on my firewall? If i dont use the one on the firewall, do i just tie those 2 wires together making a jumper?

Ask for a 89 toyota 4 runner I believe. That's what I have and it puts out a little over 14v at idle and has the correct pully. I would just get one from autozone with a lifetime warranty I've gone through two in about 14 years and 10k, don't know if it's the underhood heat or the rpms I run that kill them but they always give me a free one. As far as brackets I use the A/C alt bracket and a bit of cut and weld and it works fine. Someone is also making brackets for it.

65-75 bucks for a 60 to 70 amp alternator. For a core, take whatever alternator you have laying around back. :)

They have stores everywhere and getting a replacement is easy if the one you bought fails.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s.../pickup-2wd-4-cyl-/1991/4-cylinders-r-2-4l-fi

Do i just take my external voltage reg off, tie the wires together?

I also found a denso mini 1 wire 70A alternator. This thing is tiny.

I think it was Autoxcuda who had pix of the stock non A/C brackets and a 55 amp suzuki samurai denso alt , i like this setup which uses the stock non A/C alt brkts which i have.

I wonder tho, did you need to modify these brackets to suit the samurai alternator, as these brackets have specific bends to them from the factory.

Thanks
Matt

I think it was Autoxcuda who had pix of the stock non A/C brackets and a 55 amp suzuki samurai denso alt , i like this setup which uses the stock non A/C alt brkts which i have.

I wonder tho, did you need to modify these brackets to suit the samurai alternator, as these brackets have specific bends to them from the factory.

Thanks
Matt

I just shortened the factory non a/c lower bracket by cutting the end off and drilling a new hole.

You will have to drill out the holes on the alternator to take the slightly larger diameter bolt that goes into the block. I also tapped the adjuster bolt hole to convert it to Std US threads. Don't really have to do that though.

Pics and info here.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=319137

Autoxcuda,

I kinda figured id have to ream out the holes for the bigger bolt. I do like the idea of tapping the adjuster hole for an SAE fastener.

I am using my old steel brackets as a template to make new ones out of 1/8" and 3/16" 7075 T6 Aluminum sheet stock. Since the suzuki alternator is only about 5 Lbs these should work fine.

About how much do you estimate you cut off the adjuster bracket?

I am looking into possibly using one of the small ZF style GM power steering pumps too if it will put out the proper pump pressure, and custom make some aluminum brackets for it as well.

The old triangle bracket was 8.75 oz
The new triangle bracket is 2.00 oz

I am lightening a lot of stuff in the front end to move the CG back closer to a 50/50 weight distribution, every little bit helps.

I am looking at the lithium ion batteries too. The motor cycle ones weigh only 2LBs and the one i was looking at has 575 cold cranking amps. I wonder if one of these little pip squeaks would work in our cars.

i got it to work
AR096aP1.jpg

Link works fine for me. Looks like skep419 beat me to it.

-
Back