SMART PHONES

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, how many have them, and how many times have we/you had problems. Me first.
I bought an LG V10 phone last year. Well, last night it froze up on me. On, off switch didn't work. Ended up taking battery out. Put battery back in then it wouldn't boot. I went online to research it. Find out that LG has several phones with that problem, called boot loop. It gets hung up at one point and stops. So, I would have to pay off old phone first in order to upgrade, but since phone is bad I will have to pay remaining balance. Insurance will replace, for $112 more. And its a model from same company, LG, that has same issue. LOL. Well, found out hard way that I need to do some serious research before plunking down big cash for a phone. The salespeople had to know of these issues, but still sold it to me. So now I'm using my older phone that still works. That's my story, anyone else want to share?

I held on to my flip phone tooth and claw, until one day the wife put some stuff on top of the car as she buckled the kids in
She then forgot the stuff on the car and drove off

I found the mangled body of my phone a few days later, just a few feet from my own driveway

At that point I broke down and bought a smart phone

2 days ago we were leaving a restaurant and I put my phone on top of the car while I buckled the kids in
I Then got in and drove home (about 15 miles)
When I came home I couldn't find my phone, until I went to take the kids out of the car, and I found it laying on top of the car..i guess in that case, the smartphone beat the flipper

I kind of hate my smart phone, but I did use a "bubble level" app to get my alignment at least good enough to drive to the Alignment shop after the disk brake swap. And it works better than my old Blackberry for surfing through FABO in bed. That's where it ends though.

The best app I use on my cell phone is Waze. It's a free app to use as a GPS in the car. It gives real-time traffic and automatically reroutes you if a road is backed up or blocked. It knows when a bridge is out so it doesn't waste your time going down a dead end. Other users report police speed traps, accidents, road obstacles, etc. so you have the best information available to you while you drive. The GPS burns through your battery, so keep it plugged in while using it.

My wife got my Samsung Galaxy Sky through QVC for $130. It's got a great camera built into it and it is a Tracfone (pay as you go). It costs me on average about $9 per month to use (calculated after reviewing all costs for a whole year). My wife uses hers a hell of a lot more and her cost is only $16 per month. I am very grateful for this technology and it saves me a lot of time and headaches. I highly recommend.

I have an Iphone 6sPlus for work that I just had to send off to be repaired. It has taken many falls over the past couple of years (with a good case on it)but finally gave in to what they call touch screen disease. It stopped responding to touch and I could only use voice command on it. Apparently it is a fairly widespread problem due to the size and flex of the unit. The chip that controls the touch has the solder joints break on it. Apple will repair it for $150. I was never that big into the insurance on them but with the price of them getting to be $600 plus on some it may be worth it.

I've had iPhones since not long after the first one came out. I usually try to skip a model between new releases, keeping them around 1.5 to 2 years or so. I've had the original, a 3, 5, and 6. No "s" models. Currently planning on the 8 when it comes out later this year, although I love the 6 I have.

Only problem I ever had with one was the 5, it had some battery/camera issue that was common for them. Apple fixed it free and reconditioned the phone too because there was a recall for that issue. Other than that I've had no problems other than them starting to slow down a bit toward the end of my service "schedule" because of software upgrades and memory requirements. Seems that after 2 years it's time to catch the hardware up.

I don't even have a landline anymore, waste of money. Only people that called me on it were telemarketers, even after the no-call list. I probably do about half my posts here from my phone, just like this one.

I have a LG flip phone -- texting is blocked -- 500+ numbers stored -- no land line. -- Have a desk top computer, so no need for a fancy phone.

I haven't had any problems with the 2 iphones I have had but my previous motorola flip phones where junk.

My Iphone replaced my tv, dvd player, stereo,home phone, desktop computer, calculator, camera, camcorder, watch, calendar, phone book, maps, notebooks, bookshelves, music collection, tech manuals.....and it fits in my pocket.

Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Thanks everyone. I was on the phone to LG today, Monday the 17th, and I will get a repair for free, shipping included. It will take about two weeks, but it is FREE. Even though I have had it over 18 months it is still covered under warranty. So LG is not put to the curb, yet. LOL. Over all it is a nice phone.

Ok, how many have them, and how many times have we/you had problems. Me first.
I bought an LG V10 phone last year. Well, last night it froze up on me. On, off switch didn't work. Ended up taking battery out. Put battery back in then it wouldn't boot. I went online to research it. Find out that LG has several phones with that problem, called boot loop. It gets hung up at one point and stops. So, I would have to pay off old phone first in order to upgrade, but since phone is bad I will have to pay remaining balance. Insurance will replace, for $112 more. And its a model from same company, LG, that has same issue. LOL. Well, found out hard way that I need to do some serious research before plunking down big cash for a phone. The salespeople had to know of these issues, but still sold it to me. So now I'm using my older phone that still works. That's my story, anyone else want to share?
Same as you... Have had Virgin Mobile, six years plus... The 300 dollar top end phone, has the same problem as the 40 dollar LG based junk.....:(

Just got a message from LG. Not good...... Say the phone has other problems that void any repair. Said it was locked. Well no kidding Einstein! Thing about it being locked is goofy. I had to get two RA's because the first person failed to send the message with the no fee shipping label. I gave that person the code to unlock the phone. Second person didn't ask, and I didn't think to give it to them. Now I have to wait until Monday to call back.....Happy happy joy joy!!! LOL

Received another message from LG very early Saturday morning. The phone is in transit..... It seems the phone was repaired, UNDER WARRANTY anyway..... Good news indeed, because it isn't a brick, knock on wood. But I will wait and see when the thing arrives. Still won't buy another LG phone.

I just purchased a LG Grace LTE after my Windows phone died. The Windows phone was much easier to operate. I'll get accustomed to this one. I do love the camera. My family mobile plan cost 82 monthly for 2 phones with unlimited service. My son in law works for Verizon and all of my kids have the absolute newest technology. I just refuse to pay the cost for my needs.

Never had a "smart" phone. Still have a flip, currently a Verizon prepaid, cost about 35 a month. Before that it was Smart talk or some damn thing same as the old Trac phone. Before THAT it was overprized Verizon at nearly 70 a month

I can receive basic text WHICH I HATE and make and receive PHONE CALLS.

And here's a true story.............Some time ago, I began getting annoying calls at about 4-5AM from somewhere in Maine? So it was 8-9AM there. I got I guess 6 or 8 in about a year and a half. I would EXPLAIN to these doo-doo's to watch what they are doing

So, one night it's MIDNIGHT here, watching an old movie, and I realized IT IS 4AM THERE!!!! So I called.............and called..........and called again, and SOMEONE ANSWERED!!!

"Are you awake?"

"..........................yes..............."

"Well, I'm out here in Idaho, and YOU are the people who KEEP CALLING ME at 4AM, so I thought I'd call YOU at 4AM"

"Why, why are you doing this, what do you want?"

"You keep calling me at 4AM and it pisses me off. So here's the deal. You check your numbers and you make damn sure you don't call me anymore, and I won't have to KEEP CALLING YOU every weekend, because it's only MIDNIGHT here!!!" and.......hung up the phone

And !!POOF!! Just like magic!!! NO MORE CALLS at 4AM!!

I still haven't upgraded to a new phone... Still on my old LG octane and 3G....

There are a couple of buttons wearing out and sooner or later I will have to get a new one.... :(

It's because of stories like this that I don't get these fancy contract phones. I paid $100 for a no contract ZTE phone that I use for finding hotels when I travel for work, as well as weather and road conditions where ever I am. I've had it about a year and a half with no problems. If something does happen I don't have to worry about paying off a phone I can't use just to get a replacement of the same model. And I think it's a lot less expensive this way.

We have two I-phones, no landline. I get texts, email, FABO and actual phone calls occasionally.
I would not have anything but I-Phone but that's just me. Only trouble I ever had was dropping
it off the BBQ and cracking the screen.

I have a smart phone but it's very dumb .... could be the operator.

I have Samsung s6 and it's too big for my liking but it works. I don't have a landline because my cell is always in my pocket.

Only complaint I have is that they are not made very durable. I want an indestructible phone but can't get one. So evertime my phone shatters, from looking at it, i run to kijiji and buy one from someone who has to have the latest and greatest swap my SIM card and carry on with life.

Smart Phones.jpg

I've had mostly iPhones. Has a 3,5 (Thad that for years) and now the 6s plus going on two years now. Love it. Never really had any problems with any of them.

I loved my Motorola flip phone. It was the ruggedized one, something like the nextel Motorola i580. It took an incredible amount of abuse until it went through the wash.

Next up was the HTC Evo. My first smart phone. I loved that phone, I had a very nice hard plastic and silicone case made by Seidio. They really sold me on their case quality, since that phone took a lot of abuse until the day I took the case off because I was being dumb and dropped it and destroyed the screen.

Next phone was an iPhone 4s. I hated that from day one.

Replaced with the BlackBerry Q10. I love it, and have a Seidio case for that as well. I keep it as my backup. The Q10 is not made for games or movies, the screen is small and is all a phone needs to be. It has a physical keyboard. I have come to hate typing on glass.

I am now using the Blackberry Passport. The big square screen and physical keyboard make reading the forums here a breeze. It is a shame that BlackBerry has been so poorly marketed and managed, as their products are superb. They are not made to be cute My Little iPonies, or fAndroid devices, but workhorses. I am able to run some, but not all android software (have not been able to get waze to work) but it is not a big deal since it comes with decent navigation software. I am also able to force the browser to function as a desktop and not a mobile device, so websites are easier to navigate. I do not like the mobile versions of sites. I have something called an 'assistant' instead of siri. It does the job.

Ok. Phone back, lost whatever was on it cause new motherboard. Found way to return majority of my contacts. Emailed them by sharing, mailing them. Once received to mail, saved them to rejuvenated phone. So far have not had to manually load them.

-
Back