Snap Ring holding axle in place

-
well...I always remove the 5 nuts and slide the axle out along with the back plate.....

well...I always remove the 5 nuts and slide the axle out along with the back plate.....
you and everyone else. lol to think that cheesy snap ring keeping the axle from sliding out. lmao

I see you checked the dana axle and now see our lives are depending on a wire clip holding the axle in place.
Missed the film at 11.
Yes you have to take the retainer plate loose to get the axle out. That was not my point. The clip keeps the axle from sliding out is my point.

I see you checked the dana axle and now see our lives are depending on a wire clip holding the axle in place.
Missed the film at 11.
Yes you have to take the retainer plate loose to get the axle out. That was not my point. The clip keeps the axle from sliding out is my point.

No, the snap ring keeps the axle, and ALL from sliding out. lol

No, the snap ring keeps the axle, and ALL from sliding out. lol
Explain ALL please.

If rhe clip is missing or fails the axle along with the bearing assemble can slide out.

If you remove the 5 nuts you pull the axle assemble out but the backing plates do not come off because the brake lines are still attached to them.

Explain ALL please.

If rhe clip is missing or fails the axle along with the bearing assemble can slide out.

If you remove the 5 nuts you pull the axle assemble out but the backing plates do not come off because the brake lines are still attached to them.

The axle, and everything attached to it. If the bearing is the same diameter or smaller then the hole in the retainer, it's all comin out if that snap ring fails.

Thanks everyone
Yes i removed the 5 bolts that hold on the backing plate
Tomorrow I will try the drum slide trick
I'm starting to hate this car and regret buying it
everything and i mean everything is fucked
wiring was shot
Master cylinder fried by fender wall headers and leaked inside
car will start in any gear
carb was shot
and so on

Thanks everyone
Yes i removed the 5 bolts that hold on the backing plate
Tomorrow I will try the drum slide trick
I'm starting to hate this car and regret buying it
everything and i mean everything is fucked
wiring was shot
Master cylinder fried by fender wall headers and leaked inside
car will start in any gear
carb was shot
and so on
The wiring was never good in the first place LOL I've already changed that. The master cylinders are only 20 bucks get a grip LOL someone bypass the neutral safety switch. Get that fixed and it won't start in gear.

Got the axle out tonight it was rusted in pretty good
Now to test the green bearing and replace it and rebuild the rear end
Wish me luck guys

Got the axle out tonight it was rusted in pretty good
Now to test the green bearing and replace it and rebuild the rear end
Wish me luck guys
Good luck, I hope I wasn't too hard on ya LOL
I'm going to have to pull my own one of these days. I sure want to put 355s in place of my 410s.
Edit: and for goodness sakes don't forget your snap ring LOL...

Last edited:
Thanks J par
the snap ring was nothing more than retainer on the green bearing
When the rear end is done I will rewire the car and start a thread for that for everyone else to follow

Thanks J par
the snap ring was nothing more than retainer on the green bearing
When the rear end is done I will rewire the car and start a thread for that for everyone else to follow
Cool, and when I change the ring and pinion in mine I'm I'm going to share that as well. I've rebuild my transmission, and every other thing on the car and still have not set the Lash in my own rear end. That little piece of knowledge is going to be learned.

I got the axle out yesterday cleaned it up and noticed there was some rust pitting on the outer bearing I was just wondering if I should replace them or are they ok.

Hate to bring back an old thread, but what is the order of assembly? I've got the green bearings with the snap ring and to my understanding the backing plate goes on the housing, then you can slide on the axle with the bearings. My snap ring is stopping at the backing plate.. is it suppose to pass the backing plate?

I'm having trouble finding the info on this but I bought dr diff axles with green bearings with large snap ring, my question is.. is that thin little retainer ring the only thing that holds the entire axle and wheel assembly from pulling out of the housing? Also, after sliding the axle in and bolting up the retainer plate, are you just supposed to tighten the plate and crush the ring between the back plate and retainer plate? Something doesn't seem right

-
Back