Snowmobiling blues...

-
For me when I'm just hammering it through the woods and playing in the Steep and deep all my other problems and worries are gone...

We just had 18" of new snow , temp is -3 deg. F with a 25mph wind . Chill factor -27deg. F. Woo woo . I'm stayin' inside @ 71 deg.F. Maybe I"ll go out later and sled (July, maybe) LOL !

Surprisingly they seem to be very well built and solid. If anything the only spot I would think to do it would be the steering post to body, but that even has some gussets already factory welded on.
Same with you, any action on that snow Runner yet?

We just had 18" of new snow , temp is -3 deg. F with a 25mph wind . Chill factor -27deg. F. Woo woo . I'm stayin' inside @ 71 deg.F. Maybe I"ll go out later and sled (July, maybe) LOL !
This thread is starting to get in a little long and as far as I looked back I couldn't find a picture of your sled?

It looks like you found some snow. It looks like your friend has a very nice cabin in a beautiful secluded area, very nice !

Yes it's just outside a little old mining town in eastern Oregon. We're extremely lucky to have this friend. Besides the cabin that's just icing on the cake he's a real great person to be around and I feel that he makes me a better person as well. Another words I think he helps me to be less of an a******.

Might snow here tonight, but nothing serious. It's been two years since I have rode the sled around the neighborhood..
Very steep and very deep...

Finally! Worked through some work backlog and heading to Maine in a few days! Feels good to be able to tell the customer we are on a planned shutdown for a while..... Things look to be OK snow-wise up there and the temps will stay cold for the next 10 days or so.

Finally! Worked through some work backlog and heading to Maine in a few days! Feels good to be able to tell the customer we are on a planned shutdown for a while..... Things look to be OK snow-wise up there and the temps will stay cold for the next 10 days or so.
I was reading about the snowmobiling in Maine and how great it is. Entire communities set up to welcome snowmobile activity.

Well, darn it, the trip is off. My son has had some shoulder issues for years (dislocated several times) and it has flared up pretty badly. No way he's gonna be steering with that arm. Gonna try again in 2 weeks....

Well, darn it, the trip is off. My son has had some shoulder issues for years (dislocated several times) and it has flared up pretty badly. No way he's gonna be steering with that arm. Gonna try again in 2 weeks....
I agree better safe than sorry we always like to go to have fun not to get ourselves hurt or make an injury worse. I would wait also..
I did get my once every two years seems chance to ride around the neighborhood. Of course everybody waves and gives a thumbs-up and stuff like that except for one neighbor on the corner LOL he gave me a dirty look cuz he was shoveling his driveway and sidewalks. So the next time I came by I stopped and said hello. I said I noticed you were looking at me with the disapproval is there some kind of problem? Mind you there was a couple four wheelers in the neighborhood spinning around and doing cookies and such. He got all upset about how the machines were causing ruts in front of his house and they would freeze tonight and he wouldn't be able to get out of his driveway and that the tires would follow the Frozen ruts blah blah blah. I said are you talking about these big ruts my 4 by 4 made when I drove down the street to go get groceries earlier? You couldn't be talking about these lightly travel tracks? You realize unlike that four wheeler that I do have license insurance and registration I have a headlight and a tail light and a brake light and I threw my arm out and said I have a turn signal also. I have a helmet and as you noticed I was traveling on the correct side of the street and was not spinning cookies but was going less than the speed limit correct? he fell into place and started being nice and realized he was just being overly grumpy I think. I said also to add to that two years ago the last time I rode my sled on the street I stopped and the fire truck came by and they were digging their Bell and honking their horn and waving and giving me the thumbs up...

I don't know exactly what the law I, but I do know our snowmobiles are registered at the DMV and have to have titles like a car. They're not registered with the forest and need no title like a dirt bike where you can just register it at a dirt bike shop.

Locked and loaded !!
I'm sure this is never happened to you guys, but waiting for my wife! LOL :BangHead:
IMG_20190214_090808.jpg

I don't know exactly what the law I, but I do know our snowmobiles are registered at the DMV and have to have titles like a car. They're not registered with the forest and need no title like a dirt bike where you can just register it at a dirt bike shop.
We can ride the roads with DNR sticker and insurance card, valid drivers license or a safety course if between 12-16 as long as:
  • Headed to the nearest trail or gas station
  • Going the same way as traffic
  • Stay 10 ft from the road when possible
  • Obey posted speed limits - most towns post for snowmobiles
  • Most towns (there all small) have routes through them, with option for gas and food.
Groomed trails (or ungroomed trails) across private land is all maintained by club members, including bridges, crossings. No speed limits, so 100+mph welcome :D

Another successful ride.
#1 home safe.
Found some good trails that were groomed the night before. We got to do some runnin and gunnin! (40mph+ side by side egging each other)
IMG_20190214_111021.jpg
IMG_20190214_133412.jpg
IMG_20190214_133412.jpg
IMG_20190214_144020.jpg

We were on our way back and head just slowly pass some snowshoers that were shoeing around frog lake. We got back up to speed a little bit and I decide I'm going to cut off the trail to the left and cut up this big berm. Well I get 3/4 of the way up and I get stuck. My wife see's me going to go up but not stop and get stuck As She Goes By. I see her tail light fade as I'm stuck lol. Now I can see the snowshoers coming around the corner to see me stuck. Crap! So quickly and pull hard towards down side and roll it over and walk around it and push it backup on it's tracks, one pull and off I go just in time to not have to hear the snowshoers ask if I need help. Didn't catch up with my wife till the next intersection where she stopped and waited.

Last edited:
We were on our way back and head just slowly pass some snowshoers that were shoeing around frog lake. We got back up to speed a little bit and I decide I'm going to cut off the trail to the left and cut up this big berm. Well I get 3/4 of the way up and I get stuck. My wife see's me going to go up but not stop and get stuck As She Goes By. I see her tail light fade as I'm stuck lol. Now I can see the snowshoers coming around the corner to see me stuck. Crap! So quickly and pull hard towards down side and roll it over and walk around it and push it backup on it's tracks, one pill and off I go just in time to not have to hear the snowshoers ask if I need help. Didn't catch up with my wife till the next intersection where she stopped and waited.
Like we discussed in another thread... she's smart. We'll leave it at that.... :D :D

Now-a-days there's no more digging snowmobiles out. You either ride it out or flip it out of its hole and keep going...

Now-a-days there's no more digging snowmobiles out. You either ride it out or flip it out of its hole and keep going...
Rule #1.... value your momentum.

Around here, you stay on trail or stay home. 2 reasons.
  1. Most land owners want it that way
  2. Your safety. Never know what concrete blocks, or wood pile, or mowing deck, you get the point....

Rule #1.... value your momentum.

Around here, you stay on trail or stay home. 2 reasons.
  1. Most land owners want it that way
  2. Your safety. Never know what concrete blocks, or wood pile, or mowing deck, you get the point....
These are total off-trail Sleds and actually invalidate the warranty if you ride them on the trail believe it or not...
As you can see it's kind of hard to get off Trail and get kind of crazy when my wife leaves me in the dust any time I get stuck lol.Actually not true she just didn't seem to get stuck. But when I go out with the guys we get up in the deep and Steep and only ride the trails to get to the fun stuff. We totally ride in the forest as you can see in the pictures..
There's typically over 5 to 10 ft of snow pack to cover the stumps and bad stuff...

-
Back