So how far back does your Mopar experience go?

-
I remember my brother and I sitting in the back seat of my dad's 47 Plymouth at the drive in movies. He bought it from an Air Force reserve officer, that got called to active duty during the Korean war, circa 1952-53. He traded it for a 1955 2 door Belair, robin egg blue. I got my license in it. He always wished he hadn't traded it in. I got my 65 273 Commando 4 speed Barracuda in early 1966, (my dad had a 64 Barracuda) when it only had a few thousand miles on it. Kept it until 1975, traded it in for a new pick up. ("stupid is what stupid does.") Now I have two 65 Barracudas.
Norm

I was 9 years old in 1965 when I saw Redline 7000 at the movie theater. I saw Richard Petty on the screen in his blue 1964 Fury and I was hooked. My first car was a red 1964 Dodge Polara 500 that I bought from my sister for $500. It had a 361 big block and a 4 speed. I had lots of fun in that car as it was my daily driver, date car, and race car. I learned to work on cars by wrenching on it. I got married and when the kids came the car had to go since it wasn’t a practical family car. I wish that I had kept it.

My first Mopar was a 1960 Dart [ they called them a 'Phoenix' here & were sold as luxury cars ]. Had the 318 Poly. I traded the anemic powered 272 Ferd Customline I had on the Dart. The performance of the Poly was like another world for me....
Start of the Mopar love affair.

My experience goes back to about 1968 or 9 when I was riding home from church with my grandfather in his 64 413 New Yorker he pulled by a couple of the local hot rodders and they were in Chase of us he dialed up that 413 courtesy of a push button dash with the AFB screaming they couldn't gain on us he navigated the corner on our country road I watched in excitement as they spun out behind us,it was the most awesome thing I had ever experienced up to that point, my grandmother did not feel the same way LOL
How funny! Your grandfather probably should have gone back to church and repented!!!

My first recollection of having anything to do with Mopars was in 1970, when my dad had his 70 Roadrunner. He had a buddy named Bob who had a 70 GTX Hemi car who would come over and off they would go to Telegraph to race. My brother and I would slide under Bobs car and marvel at the big chrome oil pan he had on there.

My grandfather was a Kendall oil rep, and took us to all manner of races, mostly drag racing events, but anything Kendall sponsored. He knew all the big names in racing that used Kendall, and we spent a lot of time in the pits, sitting in the racers cars, leaning over the dragsters and watching guys working on their cars, and going up in the tower with grandpa. My brother was sitting on John Grivens lap while he was on the mic and called him fat over the loud speaker, another big memory for us all. We ran around to all of the vendors collecting stickers, they were like gold to us! Those are some of my first recollections of being a car guy.

My first recollection of having anything to do with Mopars was in 1970, when my dad had his 70 Roadrunner. He had a buddy named Bob who had a 70 GTX Hemi car who would come over and off they would go to Telegraph to race. My brother and I would slide under Bobs car and marvel at the big chrome oil pan he had on there.

My grandfather was a Kendall oil rep, and took us to all manner of races, mostly drag racing events, but anything Kendall sponsored. He knew all the big names in racing that used Kendall, and we spent a lot of time in the pits, sitting in the racers cars, leaning over the dragsters and watching guys working on their cars, and going up in the tower with grandpa. My brother was sitting on John Grivens lap while he was on the mic and called him fat over the loud speaker, another big memory for us all. We ran around to all of the vendors collecting stickers, they were like gold to us! Those are some of my first recollections of being a car guy.
Precious memories!

I'm older than most on here, I think. Here's a picture from probably 1955-56 or so. Our 1952 DeSoto. Nothing special, huh? Four door sedan, wide whitewalls, completely stock exterior. Under the hood, though, its original 276 hemi had been bored to a 291, heads milled .100, dual two barrel carburetors, Mallory Magspark ignition and dual exhaust with truck mufflers. Despite being handicapped with Chrysler's ridiculous Fluid Drive, it was pretty quick for a daily driver in its day. Would easily outrun a Rocket 88 Oldsmobile. Even outran a 55 Chevy with power pack (but Powerglide trans).

That's me and my sister standing by the car.

View attachment 1715761889
Lot's of great stories here. Thanks for starting the thread.

I was born in 1968 but for some reason I was drawn to anything with 4 wheels. My grandpa had a 69 satellite 2 door hardtop. White with black top and black interior. He bought it brand new. As I became aware of cars I was just taken by the lines of that B body. Always thought it was a really good looking car. For some reason I thought the dash was really cool and the outside shape looked sleek. Didnt know what it was as a little kid, but was pretty upset when he traded it in on a new Plymouth Volare premier in 1977. My family always seemed to have Chrysler products back then. My dad had a 73 Dodge Polara 4 door sedan. A grandmother with a 65 dart she actually kept until her death about 10 years ago. She loved that car. I would have to say my awareness of the MoPars began with that satellite. It made a definite impression on me. I would say I was about 5 years old. After that it seemed like I was drawn to everything with a pentastar. So yeah 48 years.

Last edited:
Born in 48 to parents old enough to have been my grand parents. Learned to drive in Mom's lap on dirt roads of SW Ga in there 55 Pony ac. Dad was a GM guy till the dealer pissed hi off and then tog= Fords.
I was into quarter horses bad and a good friend (horsey) that was old enough to be my mother would loan me her new 64 Sport Fury and her horse trailer so me and a girl (horsey) could go to a horse show. She owned part of that small town Mopar dealership. She was to coolest woman I had ever meet. Edit: Next to my WIFE!!!! Yes she is really that cool too!

Last edited:
Here is my 55 Dodge Royal Lancer with 270 HEMI RedRam and two speed automatic on the dash... My love for the Hemi & Mopar started here... this picture is Early 60's
My Younger Brother is sitting in it !
IMG_20180526_093640.jpg

I kid named "Jon" in our little community of Gonzales, California (population 3,000) "famously" tore up the town in his new 1972 white 340 'Cuda four speed (Mommy bought it for his high school graduation). Saw him accompanied by a loose local girl in it once. My little sister went out with the same guy for awhile.

My family was generally poor living paycheck to paycheck. We did not have a car until I was 13 years old --- it was a 1964 Ford Falcon, 170 CID 6, with the Ford-o-matic on the column. One of my high school buddies purchased a used 1966 Plymouth Satellite with a 383 4 barrel and 4 speed. We called that car the Red Rocket. I was hooked from the time I rode in that car. I worked many jobs in high school, saved up, and bought my first car - a 1959 Plymouth Savoy 4 door with the flathead 6 and 3 on the column. I learned all the basic mechanical stuff on that car. My older brother got a salesman job with one of the area's largest Chrysler Plymouth dealerships when I was a senior in high school.
In late 1969 through him I factory ordered a 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 --- kept it for 3 years while attending college.

I came back to Mopar in the 1990s - first a 1969 R4 Red Dodge Dart Swinger 340, followed by a 1971 Duster 340.
Currently without a Mopar but considering a number of cars including a Hellcat Redeye Super Stock.

Still wish I kept my first new car - the 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 in B7....

I was a little over a year old in late '68 when dad bought a '68 roadrunner 383 auto. It was there only car for a long time. Although they had 3 non mopars over the years, there was never a time without at least 1. My first was a 72 duster 318, my brother's was a '68 valiant 2 door. My wife and I have had nothing but mopars, and all 3 of our son's have them too.

Depends...pure Mopar or Mopar family "orphan"?
If "orphans" count, then from birth. My dad would only drive Hudson Hornets.
If pure Mopar, than when my mom bought a new '59 Plymouth Fury after my dad passed unexpectedly. The Fury was a pretty car, Flame Red with a white top.

Last edited:
When I was 13 in 1976 my friend in high school had a 69 Torino gt 390 4 speed. I thought it was the sh-t. Then a skinny hippie moved in across the street and he had a 70 roadrunner 383, auto. My friend was talking crap on the roadrunner and they decided to race. The roadrunner spanked him hard. That race made me a mopar man for life.

Fastest production car in the quarter mile from 1968 to 2018 when the Dodge Challenger Demon beat it. When it comes to king of the hill drag cars and bragging rights Chrysler certainly does not **** around.

208001989_2013430715481963_3105474899409516415_n.jpg

When I was 13 in 1976 my friend in high school had a 69 Torino gt 390 4 speed.

When I was 16 and in high school, I drag raced my parent's new '71 383 Road Runner auto against a classmate's circa '68-'69 390 auto Mercury Cyclone. Beat him by a car length at 90 MPH on a country road where half the school followed us out there to watch. My only street race ever (loser paid me ten bucks).

Last edited:
3 years old in 1969 when my dad came home with our brand new 1969 Plymouth Sport Satellite Station Wagon!
318, 904, 2:73. ....reverse back seat, electric back window, light blue with real fake woodgrain side decals!

Jeff

My Uncle had 68 Coronet RT in the mid 70s. my own experience was a 70 Duster \6 I bought in 1987, I didn't have that long, then a 69 Coronet 500 I bought in 1988,then I picked up my 340 swinger in 1993,and had that ever since. MOPARS in the late 80s no one wanted them they were cheap to pick up and run.

Was in the USAF in Denver going to school .....Room mate had to sell his car since he knocked up girlfriend while home on leave.

Showed me pictures of the car....70 Cuda....asked how much 2000....looking at the pictures he had...the car had a fiberglass hood and a funny stripe...and a Decal that said AAR.

That was july 11, 1973.....i bought the car based on the pictures for 2k....we flew back to Georgia...and drove it back to Denver on a weekend road trip.

42 years. Did some work for a guy on his 1973 Plymouth Fury PK41 car and on a road test with him got to check out the 440 “C” body certified speedometer.

Bought my own at the Connecticut state police auction it was the first car I went 130 plus MPH in, yikes. I was hooked and that included a 20 year stint as a Chrysler mechanic.

Cliff Ramsdell
9992545F-DFCE-4016-B520-67A0BFF1C1FD.jpeg

Not me but these were the Connecticut cars.

0299F538-157A-491B-9150-8550637A1BE4.jpeg

Spotted this one two weeks ago at Marks Cruise night, nice..

Me, I came home from the hospital in dad's almost new 66 Fury, my family was nothing but 100% mopars, on mom and dad's side.
One of the very first memory's I had was my uncle picking me up in his new 70 duster, I wrapped up in a blanket, laid down in the back seat, and he took me to my grandparent's house, the duster was a blue with a blue interior.
My other uncle had a 70 charger.
Dad bought my mom a 73 chrysler imperial, us kids were in heaven, huge back seat, dad still has mom's car sitting in the garage.
My dad was always one to keep ahold of cars, and put a bunch of miles on them, I actually drove his 66 Fury some in my late teens and early 20's.
My grandpa gave me his 65 Coronet for a first car, it was older than me, but in really good shape, because he slowly went blind and could not drive, so it had low miles on it.

-
Back