So I watched Bullit Tonight!

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I watched Bullit this evening. It DOES have one of the best car chase scenes in history. However, I told my wife that this time I was actually going to watch the movie; not just focus on the chase scene (which, by the way, lasts 6 minutes and 50 seconds and the charger loses 6 hubcaps). So, for the first time, I actually focused on the movie's plot. I came to the conclusion that without the chase scene (and Steve McQueen), the movie kind of stinks. Think about it. Not much of a plot. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I really did give the movie an honest chance.

Yeah movie a bit of a dog , but seeing that Charger was cool, and I always like McQueen in movies and his TV series.

airborncharger.jpg

It beats the hell out of two lane blacktop.

It was a pretty highly regarded action movie in it's day.

I've watched it several times, have it on DVD, and yeah, the plot is kind of weak, but McQueen just carries it, and the chase is always fun to watch, love seeing the Charger lose all those hubcaps, the phantom damage that appears and disappears. And how many times you see the same cars in the background is good for a laugh.
:popcorn:

I think I heard a story, it was either the Mustang or the Charger, ripped the oil pan, and because it was a pre production car they couldn’t get a replacement quick enough. So McQueen pulled the pan and welded it up. I can’t remember where I read it, but if it’s true, that’s what made him so cool

lol. watching that now. what a stupid *** movie.

bullet was bad. chase scene is just meh. guess back then it was awesome.

vanishing point was horrible too.

guess it was the best they could do back then.
I thought the chase scene in McQ was much better. The plot too.

The big mistake the producers made in my opinion was cutting the initial left turn getaway burnout short. They needed another 4 seconds to let the tires stop squealing and the AVS crescendo to achieve maximum wail.

Want a "good one"? Watch Blood, Guts, Bullets and Octane. Now that's a goodun.

lol. watching that now. what a stupid *** movie.

bullet was bad. chase scene is just meh. guess back then it was awesome.

vanishing point was horrible too.

guess it was the best they could do back then.

FALSE.
Bullitt was a B O R E H O L E. The chase scene is partly exciting because of the location. Several scenes were recycled including the downhill section with the green VW.
Vanishing Point was excellent. It had a story, it was a reflection of the times and it resonated with people that were tired with the establishment and just wanted to be left alone.

If you grew up on Fast and Furious movies then a real stunt scene might confuse you.
You see...the principles of physics dictate what a person and a vehicle can actually do. If that wasn't enough.... In the olden days, they could employ some creative editing, multiple camera angles, slow-motion, fades, shifts and other camera trickery to make it seem more impressive than it is.
BS movies featuring impossible scenes with cars flying across the sky into skyscrapers, 20 minute airport runway scenes, 2 unibody cars dragging a 20 ton safe and other brain dead ideas have made money but have zero soul.

Last edited:
And how many times you see the same cars in the background is good for a laugh.
I never noticed that. I'll have to watch it yet again.

The big mistake the producers made in my opinion was cutting the initial left turn getaway burnout short. They needed another 4 seconds to let the tires stop squealing and the AVS crescendo to achieve maximum wail.
You sure can get a long burnout with a pegleg rearend.

I think that Steve McQueen’s best movie is LeMans, very little dialog and just a great race movie.
Maybe the best race movie ever is Rush. Yes it is a F1 movie, but it is a true story about two of the best racers of that era that did their racing in one of the most dangerous time ever.
If you have never seen it, check it out.

FALSE.
Bullitt was a B O R E H O L E. The chase scene is partly exciting because of the location. Several scenes were recycled including the downhill section with the green VW.
Vanishing Point was excellent. It had a story, it was a reflection of the times and it resonated with people that were tired with the establishment and just wanted to be left alone.

i found it pretty stupid. maybe I'm too young (53) for it. or maybe i should have been tripping when i watched it.

I'm just 3 years older but I was a car guy before I started Kindergarten. I grew up on movies and TV shows with real cars doing real stunts.

I'm just 3 years older but I was a car guy before I started Kindergarten. I grew up on movies and TV shows with real cars doing real stunts.
Same here, was a car freak from as early as I can remember, I'm 59 now, but I can still remember trying to convince my old man to buy a new Charger Daytona off the showroom floor. Unsuccessfully.
I also like to see real people driving real cars, and doing real stunts. That CGI bullshit turns me completely off.

-
Back