So I watched Bullit Tonight!

-
Vanishing Point was excellent. It had a story, it was a reflection of the times and it resonated with people that were tired with the establishment and just wanted to be left alone.

i watched vanishing point when i was younger and except for some scenes with a honda motorcycle i didnt care much for it

maybe i was too young to catch on to the whole establishment motive?

FALSE.
Bullitt was a B O R E H O L E. The chase scene is partly exciting because of the location. Smight seem everal scenes were recycled including the downhill section with the green VW.
Vanishing Point was excellent. It had a story, it was a reflection of the times and it resonated with people that were tired with the establishment and just wanted to be left alone.

If you grew up on Fast and Furious movies then a real stunt scene might confuse you.
You see...the principles of physics dictate what a person and a vehicle can actually do. If that wasn't enough.... In the olden days, they could employ some creative editing, multiple camera angles, slow-motion, fades, shifts and other camera trickery to make it seem more impressive than it is.
BS movies featuring impossible scenes with cars flying across the sky into skyscrapers, 20 minute airport runway scenes, 2 unibody cars dragging a 20 ton safe and other brain dead ideas have made money but have zero soul.

I think you nailed it. Even though I’m of the Fake and Furious generation, I can’t stand their B.S. I love watching the older movies, you have think about the time period and understand how people thought then. But real stunts, with real action beats green screen any day.

A good example could be the Star Wars franchise. When George Lucas came out with the first one, he had to invent everything, types of cameras, sounds, fx, all of it done by people, and it was a ground breaking movie. Then you get to the “prequels” and the other B.S ones, where it’s a lot of computer generated stuff, it just kinda blows. A lot more action, but that’s kinda the way movies have gone, who cares anything, we need action!

Top Gun vs Top gun 2 is another good example of old cinema vs new.

I have to disagree with you Rusty on Two Lane.
Yes it's a gm movie and yes it has a weak story line.
But as a 17 year old watching two gear heads drive the US with a race car, wow.
Cars were a big part of my life and I enjoyed the whole concept.
Plus there were some drag strip scene that had some cool cars for the day.
Big Willie was in it if I remember correctly.
They made fun of the Mopars, but stayed away from them.

Agree, you don’t watch a movie like Two Lane Black Top for the story line, you watch it for the vibe.

The cars were great, the movie is a cinematic piece of garbage.

Frankly that car chase had a LOT wrong with it, including a couple of the same cars over and over. I've forgotten "it all" but there was a particular LeMans that kept "getting in the way," and a Beetle. That Mustang seemed to have 21 speeds.

It might have been the "best Horrywood ever did" but it wasn't THAT good.

And for the big letdown, Horrywood has re-re-re-re used the "Mustang" sounds in at least a couple other movies, one of which was the "seven ups" COMPLETE WITH AN AUTOMATIC car instead of a stick shift car.

On the good side, we saw it when I was going to Navy electronics technician school at Treasure Island, San Francisco. He'd seen it once and went back--with us. We went to a TINY "long and tall" theater sandwhiched in with other 200 year old buildings downtown. He took us clear up to the upper back row against the projection booth. WHEN THAT BUNCH was jumping up and down SF hills, your stomach was up in your throat, looking "way down" at the screen!!!

Well I guess I'm in the minority and that's pretty normal for me with movies, but I like Bullitt. I like the movie, the chase, the whole bit. I think it's good. It shows a cop that's seen unimaginable violence day in and day out to the point that he's almost unaffected anymore. It was 1968. They did the best they could with special effects. ......and talk about a best soundtrack. Lalo Schifrin nails it in Bullitt.

Frankly that car chase had a LOT wrong with it, including a couple of the same cars over and over. I've forgotten "it all" but there was a particular LeMans that kept "getting in the way," and a Beetle. That Mustang seemed to have 21 speeds.

It might have been the "best Horrywood ever did" but it wasn't THAT good.

And for the big letdown, Horrywood has re-re-re-re used the "Mustang" sounds in at least a couple other movies, one of which was the "seven ups" COMPLETE WITH AN AUTOMATIC car instead of a stick shift car.

On the good side, we saw it when I was going to Navy electronics technician school at Treasure Island, San Francisco. He'd seen it once and went back--with us. We went to a TINY "long and tall" theater sandwhiched in with other 200 year old buildings downtown. He took us clear up to the upper back row against the projection booth. WHEN THAT BUNCH was jumping up and down SF hills, your stomach was up in your throat, looking "way down" at the screen!!!
Dont forget the white Firebird.

i watched vanishing point when i was younger and except for some scenes with a honda motorcycle i didnt care much for it

maybe i was too young to catch on to the whole establishment motive?
Now what was it about that Honda that was so interesting? Oh yes, the naked woman riding it!

I loved Bullitt when it came out and still do. The problem is that a lot of us have watched it multiple times and have started nit-picking every error. But the first time.....ah. So much better than the 7Up's with the 'manual transmission' cars with only two pedals on the floor.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm in the minority and that's pretty normal for me with movies, but I like Bullitt. I like the movie, the chase, the whole bit. I think it's good. It shows a cop that's seen unimaginable violence day in and day out to the point that he's almost unaffected anymore. It was 1968. They did the best they could with special effects. ......and talk about a best soundtrack. Lalo Schifrin nails it in Bullitt.
I I like the movie, Rob. It's just not the "worship" that many of the pubic seems to bestow upon it LOLOL

Some time ago I read or watched a video that stated they had to keep stopping the Charger to let the Mustang catch up. They said the Charger was so much faster, cornered way better and braked much better and was hands down a superior driving experience.

The best part was the look on Robert Vaughns face when the mugshot of the imposter came over the fax and that he knew he’d been duped. Robert Vaughn was screwing Bullitt over the whole movie and now he knew he’d have to suck back up to him. Typical politician.

Another good one…..
Ford guys will say the Mustang was a 289 and the Charger was a hemi.
Truth is the Mustang was a 390 and the Charger was a 440. They put smaller tires on the Charger so the Mustang could keep up.

Some time ago I read or watched a video that stated they had to keep stopping the Charger to let the Mustang catch up. They said the Charger was so much faster, cornered way better and braked much better and was hands down a superior driving experience.
The mustang also had to be modified to keep up and perform with the stock Charger.

"Upon purchase, the car was prepared by Max Balchowsky for the use in the Bullitt (1968) movie with a second 1968 Mustang Fastback (VIN # 8R02S125558). These modifications included: Borg-Warner T-10 heavy- duty four-speed manual transmission, heavy- duty Borg-Warner clutch, 390 ci engine built by Balchowsky, milled heads, carburetor and distributor modification, 4:10 Positraction rear end, heavy-duty universal joints, 5-ton motor mounts, reinforced shock mounts, cross beam support bar, Helwig stabilizers front and rear, Koni shocks, heavy-duty coil springs, frame reinforcements, American Racing mag wheels, Dunlop 5:00 M-15 racing tires on the front, 5:75×10:40 15 Firestone GP Indy Tires on the rear, custom exhaust and a Shelby-type steering wheel"

As I understand it, there were 3 Mustangs used, one was a 390 car, as stated above, and the other 2 were 302 powered. The small block cars were far less nose heavy and handled better, but the Charger had more torque and could outrun the Mustang. The only intact survivor from the filming is the Mustang that went to auction a couple years back and brought crazy $$.
The Vanishing Point cars were 383s, except one 440 4 speed, and most of them didn't survive the filming. I have heard that one did, but I don't know what happened to it. The car that was crashed into the bulldozer was a 67 or 68 Camaro. I watched a show a while ago that featured Barry Newman and a recreation of some of the scenes from the movie, iirc there was a 70 Challenger 440 4 speed and a modern 392 Challenger involved in the documentary and Barry Newman was given the opportunity to make a comparison of the 2. He said that he had done a good part of the stunts for the movie, except for the more dangerous ones. He also said that the 70 was a great car in its day, but the newer one was a much better package. No surprise there.
I also like the Seven Ups, don't remember the "soundtrack", will have to watch it again and pay closer attention.
The French Connection had a wild chase in it as well, and it actually had a pretty solid script too.

-
Back