SO PISSED RIGHT NOW, derbying a 66 Barracuda?

-

Punisher66j

Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I am just using this to vent because my two passions have me pissed off. I was on a demolition derby facebook page I'm part of and this dude is stripping out a 66 barracuda. I'm like WHAT IN THE F*%K? I asked the dude why he wouldn't sell it, he said he was told it was too far gone and he has already started building it. I am a derby guy, but I'm a car lover first. I have derbied since I was 14 and always have run junk. Usually c body parts cars that had been gutted to use their motors in hot rod projects. I just don't get it....

Last edited:
Some people just see "a car".

Maybe try to convince him to run it in Rally Cross instead... those early A's are like feathers compared to the big boats you typically see, there's no way it would run in the same class as those would it??

At least do something Roadkill-style, or turn it into a race car. All I can picture the first time that thing gets out in the demo derby arena is a small compacted pile of scrap steel.

Go buy the parts for cheap he is removing to use and sell.
Hopefully, before he removes it all with a hammer, pry bar and torch.
Chrome ,grills, bumpers, jacks, lights and such sell high on 66 cars.
Somebody wants and needs any and all those big and little parts/pieces.
Move on with your own project, he's already made up his mind on his.
Stop cryin and start buyin!

Yeah...I have the same reaction.
I look at an old car and see something important and maybe even "sacred." It just fries me to see one abused or wasted, especially when it's a Mopar...even MORE when it's a special A-Body. It breaks my heart.

The bottom line is that these things are just "property" and they're just physical, inanimate objects, no matter what we think.

I guess all we can do is protect the ones we own, save the ones you can...and try not to think about the rest.

My daughter and son-in-law have been derbying for 25 years in the northeast . I have seen many Imperials, belevederes and Furys go down . they remove the parts with a sledge hammer . Went up my butt sideways. finally they let a Imp guy strip the cars before they hammered on them . I was in the Mopar parts business for 13 years and couldn't get a door handle from them . Anyway, they ranout of Mopars and went to shivvy Caprice wagons .

They aren't 'removing' parts they are torching, grinding or whacking Parts off. Truth is people don't care anout old cars. They get given to them, bought cheap, found or sold 'as parts' to people who intend to use them 'as parts' I saw a pretty solid 67 mustang on Facebook the other day forr sale, good body, needs floors, has title; $1,000 for parts 'too far gone to save' ummmm okay, people are that lazy when you can get mustang parts everywhere that a floor pan makes the car junk?

Heck I think it was on here, someone bought a 69 cuda 440 4 speed for like $2,000 and stripped it out, sold off the drivetrain and made a drag car out of it 'because it's just some old junk car'

FACT: His car, it's America, he can derby it if he wants too.....
No, I don't like to see it either, but you can offer him enough $$$ for it and I bet he changes his mind. He might take the fun over 500.00 bucks, but what if you offered him 1200.00? 1500.00? What's it worth to you?

This is me speaking personally not as a rep for PST. I myself have been restoring cars as well as derby cars for 15 plus years. I have derbied late model as well as classic. Unfortunately I have come to the realization that you can save them all. My personnel opinon when it comes to the classic iron, the car has to be in really bad shape to derby it. The cost of the resto would have to far exceed the value. When I do use a classic or even a late model. I unbolt everything. Many times that is how I end up re-cooping the cost of the car and then some. This past year I ran a 68 Olds 98 2 door hard top. The frame was decent as was the floors but the rest of the body was rough. It looked like at one time the car was side swiped on both sides. I can feel your pain when it comes to a body or model type that you are passionate about. But unfortunately every persons views or taste are different.

Thanks
James

I think it's funny that people get all bent out of shape because someone did what they wanted with a car that they own. If someone doesn't approve of what I'm doing to my car, they are more than welcome to make me an offer on it.

Years ago I had a 67 Dart GT. I bought the car for my daughter to drive in HS. Anyway she t-boned an Audi in an intersectin and wiped out the RF fender and hood. I was sorta pissed so I stripped out the interior and all the trim. local car came by and was looking for a project car. Except for the fender and hood and the unibody being a teeked to would be a good car if fixed. All the glass was good in the car. Well I went ahead and just gave him the car.

Several months had passed and I was at a local get-together with some other gear heads. One of the guys says he saw my old Dart at the fair. It was crushed and burned by flamethrower by that big dragon monster truck. Pissed me off all that glass went to waste.

I understand its his, I am not stupid. I understand he can do with it what he wants but its just a pure and utter waste. It WILL NOT be a good demo car that is a fact. There isn't even a frame. I have ran mopars for years in demo derby. If it was really junk I guess not so big of a deal. But it has a good hood, good trunk, good doors, fenders, etc. I DID try buying it. He also has a 1970 charger with no title he said he is going to run next. I have no issues with running junk but when it isn't even going to be competitive and get its *** kicked by a crown Victoria whats the point.

I have no issues with running junk but when it isn't even going to be competitive and get its *** kicked by a crown Victoria whats the point.

Because the guy probably got it for free, so it was cheap fun. I'd have done the same thing if I was a derby guy and got a free car, no matter what it was.

-
Back