So what got you into A Bodies?

-
My older brother bought a new 71 Duster 340,curious yellow, when I was about 15. I was hooked. I now have a car just like he had, for a future resto. See Ya!

Sold my b-bodies (68 Sattelite to get married), 2 70 Coronet R/T's and 70 Coronet 500 and then the Barrett Jackson crowd thought B's and E's were worth a bunch of money and never got them back. I bought a 1971 Duster w/ a 340 and never turned back. By the way does anyone remember when Mopars were NEVER on the cover of Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding or Car Craft or featured for that matter in color.

67 Dart GT
74 Dart Sport
67 Barracuda (wifes car)

Both Dad, Mom, and big brother worked at Chrysler. Dad was at the Mack Ave stamping plant, Mom worked at the Hamtramck plant, and my brother worked at Mound Rd. All of these plants are long closed afaik. Dad drove a 4 dr. Newport and Mom drove a 67 Barracuda fastback, brother drove a 70 Duster which later became mine (even though I wanted mom's car!) and the rest is history.

I grew up riding in my grandmothers 70 Dart Swinger. It was a 318/904/8.75" car. She gave the car to me when I turned 16. We also had a 73 Dart Sport for three years bitd but it got wrecked Easter Sunday 1976. Memories of the trips in that 70 hooked me on the little A-bodies and so far, that's been my main focus with Mopars.

helping my dad work on his 67 knotchback, now i own 2 and my brother has 1

My Grandfather work for Chyrsler so that was all he drove my Father drove nothing but a Dodge, my first car was a Dark Green 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318, I drove it for about three years then one day I was at the garage were I worked in Swansboro NC and customer drove in with a 1969 Barracuda FB formula S 340 auto floor shift I new I just had to have that car so I talked him into selling me the car for 500.00 dollars I ended up rebuilding the engine, restoring the interior and painted the car I was in more in love with that car then I was with my GF she hated that car:) I then joined the USAF and my dad sold the car while I was at basic so I ended up buying another 69 Cuda FB which I keep until I went over seas now I have a 67 Cuda FB I doing a complete restoration on.

My first new car was a Duster 340 which had KH disc,3.91 high performance axle package, white buckets and was ralley red. I have photos of it man how I loved that car.

When I decided I needed a classic Mopar to compliment my Prowler, I started looking at Roadrunners, GTX's, 'Cuda and Challengers. The affordable ones needed way too much work, the nice ones were out of my budget. Started looking at A bodies (my first real Mopar was a 73 dart /6. My wife's first car was a Scamp, and she loved the idea of a dart/Scamp. Found my Swinger, good shape, affordable . . . drove it home!

I walked past a brand new 69 Valiant 2 dr. every day going to jr. high. That car was total sleeper, dark green with painted wheels and dog dish caps. I remember thinking it looked way better than any nova or mustang I had seen, the body lines just worked for me.
At the time my old man worked for Ma Bell and said the Valiants were hands down the best of the three fleet models he drove, the others being Novas and Falcons.
That was the hayday for big horsepower. I lived in Olympia, Wa. and I remember seeing new T/As, Cobra Jets, Yenkos, Boss 302s, 427 Impalas, street freak tri-five Chevys, you name it. But in the end, that little Valiant really did it for me. The rest, as they say, is history.

Being completely self destructiuve by nature..... I found A bodys to fill my void and allow me to IMPLODE on a regular basis.....very satisfying!!

I'm too cheap to pay Nova prices!
I do love my Duster, though.

Kinda hard to say why?
My first A Body was a well used 1968 Dadge Dart Taxi.
Bought it for $100.00 back in 1974 I think.
B5/B5/B5 Blue throughout.
Slant six with factory dual point, power steering, auto trans. That was it.
Drove it for about a year then sold it for $300.00. LOL
Still miss it though.
NEVER had any problems with it at all.
Since owning it no matter what B or E Bodies I had, I always had an A Body or 2 in the background.

And now my stable is all A Bodies:
1965 Dodge Dart Rat Wagon,
1970 Dodge Dart Custom Sedan (Pretty much a parts car),
1970 Dodge Dart GT,
1974 Dodge Dart ex Police Car.
All Slant 6 autos.
All Drivers - No trailer queens here!

Later,
Bruce B.

it all started when i was around 9 or 10 the duke boys going like hell all over hazzard and my brother bring home a rallye red 70 340 swinger bench seat 4spd kelly superchargers bias ply tires with cragers ss rims white bumble bee stripe and those 2 scoops on the hood, man that car looked mean i always thought if the dukes ever came to mercer county we'd kick there butts for sure dad would never let me ride in that car with him but id be out there every weekend helpin him polish those cragers ever since that car nothing in my mind even compared to it i've been a a-body junkie all my life
Terry

my dad made me buy a 1973 swinger ended up being a rust bucket let it sit started a 73 dart sport found out it needed to much quarter work, bought a 1974 duster for quarters and parts chopped and scraped it. bought a 4 door 1974 dart custom for parts chopped and scraped. bought a demon found out parts were too expensive let it sit sold it then found my 1974 dart swinger start and ran and 98% rust free bought it put it together in 2 weeks and had it driving! since then bought a 1974 duster again to build for my dad

Had a Dart Sport in high school ...looked just like YellowDartDave's car, sold it after many motor swaps....lol.... never really got the Mopar bug until I went to an all Mopar Show called Monster Mopar, with a friend .... that gave me the mopar bug......His uncle was into Mopars and had 1968 GTX, he gave me a ride when we got back and THAT was the HOOK, I was on the look out for a Big Block B Body 4 speed, had a 70 Coronet 440 car for a while, in need of a total restoration, lost interest....traded it for 70 Chevy PU ( stupid ) Then one day the same 68 GTX guy calls me to go look at a 1972 Dodge Demon in the town I live in. I went and looked at it Drove it and called him to tell him it was a nice car...... He wasn't interested anymore so I hurried up and sold what I could and still came up 600 dollars short, just so happen the guy who owned the Demon was on the board at the local bank...... too long of a story cut shorter...... thats how I ended up with an A body. My 1972 Dodge Demon. 4 owner same town it sold in. I have owned it 15 years.

A-body was the only mopar I could pick up for under a grand, plus I wanted to build a gasser so a 66-Valiant was perfect...

My first car was a 72 Gold Duster. I was severely disappointed to discover that you couldn't just stuff a small or big block in there because no one at that time had produced mounts to make it happen. So I traded it for a sleek 62 Chevy Impala SS with a fresh Imron paint job on it.. Now years later I discovered that a really clean 340 or 360 Duster ready to go was out of my price range so I went with a Dart instead.

Got tired of B Bodies and needed a change, I think this qualifies:toothy10:
Notice though that I'm still loving BB's.8)

Dad bought a 73 340 4 speed with a sunroof new back in late 73. He wanted a 73 340 cuda but the 74 was out so now that hes older, he got another A body. wouldnt be able to afford an E body lol. But Me seeing a 72 340 demon with a sunroof is when I fell in love. Also you gotta love them 340's.

Riding with my Dad in the Dart when I was nine. I loved the way it sounded and moved, although my mom hated it when the young guys would crowd around to look at it, at the grocery store...so she says.

Seeing the Sox & Martin Barracuda race in person a few years back. Always loved Mopars but that's when I decided A-bodies were the coolest.

My late uncle's family owned a Chrysler dealership in northern Minnesota. I would spend countless hours as a kid just hanging around the garage and watching him work his magic whenever we got the chance to visit. I would watch new Mopars roll off the delivery truck and would walk through the lot looking at the used cars. In hindsight, there were some pretty cool vehicles that came off that truck. Funny how at the time they were just another car and now they are a classic. I guess I must be getting old! When I had the chance to buy a pristine, all original '64 Dart Convertible from the documented 3rd owner of the car...well...I was hooked. Finding FABO just made it even better.

-
Back