so what is the best balancing method

-
Yup. Problem is, it's so frikkin HARD to convince people you know what you're talkin about it almost makes you give up.

I "SHOULD" have given up already.

Sometimes it's best to step back and take a deep breath. Everybody starts at the beginning of the learning curve.

The reed tachometer is old school, but useful. Newer methods involves a vibration sensors, then FFT to find the frequency and amplitude of harmonics. Many scopes have FFT capability. Moving the sensor location can help identify the cause.

We used to watch the radio antenna when we used the "on car'' spin balancer. Same concept as the Reed Tach.

The reed tachometer is old school, but useful.

Just like the evening news, my words lost context. No ill will to you RRR. Please forgive me for my poo in your parade.

For those that have interest in improved sensitivity and harmonic resolution, use a free FFT application on your Android smart phone... but, that might be stupid...

I am out...

I had to read this thread because I couldn't possibly imagine how a thread about tire balancing reached three pages?!?!

We spin balance $400 tires on $100k cars everyday using stick on weights. If your's are coming off they are doing something wrong. When you see tape left on the wheel, that doesn't necessarily mean that the weight has flown off. When we balance new tires, we pull the old weights off, but we don't spend a half a hour taking all of the sticky residue off of the wheel. We don't get paid enough to do that.

I'd find another place to do your balancing.

Most tire balance machines will get the job done for you if the technician using them is competent & paying attention. The machine doesn't balance your tires--The tech does....

Find a shop that you trust & be done with it. JMHO :)

OK, the tires are balanced. I have heard both ways of balancing tires. RRR said don't waste your money on road force and some say it is the best. I did a lot of research on this. My new tires came in this morning and I chose a new tire shop to go to with them. One of the best reputable tire shops in the greater Cincinnati area just opened one up about 5 miles from me. I chose to go with road force. I went in and talked to the manager about the problem I was having. I told him what some has said about wasting money going with road force. He told me that those people are foolish.
He looked at my old tires and right off told me that they were probably the problem. The shop wasn't busy so he took the old tires and road force balanced them to prove this. According to the road force specs, pass. tires should be under a # 15 max. I posted pics of them and the #'s are 23,28,29 and 17. every one of these old tires had between 3 and 4 oz. of weights on them. stick weights. I watched the guy balanced the new tires. every one had to be dismounted and rotated some to get in the right spot. I posted pics of the new tires mounted. if you look on the new tires, the #'s are 7,8 and one at a 10. well under the 15 max. If you look on the back of them, you can see 2 tires with a very small weight, clip on weight. one tire didn't need any weight at all and one tire has a small clip on and a little over 1 oz. of sticky weight.
I asked this guy if he had spin balanced the tires would they have come out that good and he said no. so in my opinion to me this proves that road force is better and I didn't waste any money going this route. cost me $80.00 total for all 4 wheels to dismount, mount and road force balance them. Spin balanced would have been less, but I know now that the old tires was way out of range. Is this going to fix the vibration, wont know til Friday. I have the steering column out and cut right now. I am going up Friday morning to get the pinion angle checked by a professional.

Attachments

• DSC08473.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC08465.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC08466.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC08469.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC08471.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC08467.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC08468.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC08470.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC08472.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 94
Just like the evening news, my words lost context. No ill will to you RRR. Please forgive me for my poo in your parade.

For those that have interest in improved sensitivity and harmonic resolution, use a free FFT application on your Android smart phone... but, that might be stupid...

I am out...

No sir......it wasn't you. Just the thread in general. I should have been more clear. My apologies.

.....oh and I really loved how in one breath you say you appreciate all the help but in another post you indirectly call some of us foolish. What a class act you are.

IMO the only "fool" here was the one who spent too much money. From now on till the end of time, I will never offer you any help. Ever. Again.

whats the matter RRR, cant you read. I didn't say anybody was foolish. I said that the man at the tire shop said that those who said the road force was a waste of money was foolish. You need to go back and read what I posted. I don't know why it is that when someone doesn't agree with what you say, you get an attitude. I sat back and listened to what everyone said on this thread and then I decided to find out for myself whether that was the way to go. I found out a lot of things doing it this way. I feel like I made the right choice. you need to go back and read post # 62. the 3rd and 4th lines. I do appreciate all the help I have gotten here. But your attitude I don't need. You want to read stuff into what I say and tell me I am a class act, don't reply to my threads. I have had about enough of your bullshit. You may know a lot about Mopars and mechanic work but your attitude sucks. I have watched many times how you reply to people who don't know as much as you. you are very degrading sometimes and I personally don't need it nor will I accept it.

-
Back