So, whats the coolest, oddest most expensive car etc you have sat in, driven, ridden

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Fun thread... what is the strangest, most expensive, oddest car you have sat in, driven, ridden in? Me?

I got a ride in Bob Kropp's 70 Hemi, 4 speed, no console, bucket seat Superbird. Sat in Jack McCoy's 69 Winston West Daytona, cant imagine 500 miles in that.

Drove a Richard Petty Driving Experience Car.

I worked for a Auto Dealership Service, and stopped at Braman Motors when in Miami, and sat in the $420,000 Bentley Arnage I help the dealer with a pricing issue on, They had a Contenental GT there too.
550579_3187340325692_391443466_n_zpseec94bf4.jpg

41176_1490415772853_3438811_n_zps82f42e5a.jpg

4791_1081597843446_900942_n_zps101b50b6.jpg

41176_1490415852855_115822_n_zps9e6af7c9.jpg

41176_1490415732852_3792340_n_zpsa2b3a338.jpg

I used to own Viper, but I was always afraid of something getting damaged. Everything very expensive on those cars. Also big block '71 'Cuda that was a pretty good feeling.

I guess "I don't run in those circles" LOL

Second owner of a V code 70 RR "back in" when "they were, had it about 7 years I guess. The orginal engine got explodated all over the I-5 one fine evening (morning) about 2AM

Driven a few sixpack and hemi Challengers and 'Cudas owned by others

Drove a friends 435 hp 427 Corvette. THAT thing was plain scary, and was not exactly factory stock.

Used to get up very very early on Sunday mornings, and take the '70 RR up N of Miramar on I-5. Nobody around. That thing would do an honest 145, 3.54 rear gear. Fairly short rear G60 X 15s, That's over 6500 RPM in high gear.

Quickest I ever went on a strip was 11.8. This was close to moving from San Diego to up N, got out of the Navy, there was a lot more in the car. It had clutch problems, and this was launching in 2nd gear and shifting a stock box essentially with a "not releasing" clutch, so there was a LOT more in the car.

Lamborghini Tularosa ( did spell check get those right LOL ) .
Anyway.. Years ago, when mobile phones were hard wired into vehicles, This owner wanted the phones antenna directly across from the factory radio antenna. Customer is always right so we drilled a 3/4 dia. hole in his car.
Once install was completed he let 4 of us take a turn driving 1 lap around a shopping mall.

Ford DeTomsa Pantera. Hands down.

I guess "I don't run in those circles" LOL

Second owner of a V code 70 RR "back in" when "they were, had it about 7 years I guess. The orginal engine got explodated all over the I-5 one fine evening (morning) about 2AM

Driven a few sixpack and hemi Challengers and 'Cudas owned by others

Drove a friends 435 hp 427 Corvette. THAT thing was plain scary, and was not exactly factory stock.

Used to get up very very early on Sunday mornings, and take the '70 RR up N of Miramar on I-5. Nobody around. That thing would do an honest 145, 3.54 rear gear. Fairly short rear G60 X 15s, That's over 6500 RPM in high gear.

Quickest I ever went on a strip was 11.8. This was close to moving from San Diego to up N, got out of the Navy, there was a lot more in the car. It had clutch problems, and this was launching in 2nd gear and shifting a stock box essentially with a "not releasing" clutch, so there was a LOT more in the car.

Oh Yeah, I worked for Rick Stark Corvette, in Totem Lake (Kirkland Wa) for a bit. I put new springs and shocks and a Diff on a 68 427 Tri Power, 4 speed Corvette. I "had to drive" it when I was done.

That thing was incrtedible. Friggen rocket ship. It still had repro bias ply tires on it. How did you drive those back in the day? That thing was incredible in a straight line.

In Tulsa there was a man that had a private collection of very expensive cars and I had the privilege of having a private tour of his vehicles.

I had the privilege of sitting in several of the Packard 12 cylinder cars that were made in the 1930s. This one is similar as I didn't take any pictures back then.

View attachment 800px-1936-packard-v12-convertible-coupe-12852.jpg

There was also a late 20s or early 30s Rolls Royce limo there.

When he died the family sold his entire collection.

I sat in one of the original Corvette Gran Sports.

Also I weaseled a ride around the track at Indy in the actual Viper Pace car and the driver was Carrol Shelby, must have been '91.

Oh Yeah, I worked for Rick Stark Corvette, in Totem Lake (Kirkland Wa) for a bit. I put new springs and shocks and a Diff on a 68 427 Tri Power, 4 speed Corvette. I "had to drive" it when I was done.

That thing was incrtedible. Friggen rocket ship. It still had repro bias ply tires on it. How did you drive those back in the day? That thing was incredible in a straight line.

Hey was that corvette blue by any chance? My dad worked for Chevrolet back in the seventies and had a 68-69 vet with a 427 4speed.

(Never mind just realised you said TRI power. His was single 4) but you may have met him anyways he was shorter guy John pino??

Ferrari f430. I just sat in it.

I love mopars but I think there are a couple Ferraris I would trade my dart for.

Quickest driven: a mid 12 second 70 El Camino 396. Quickest ,I rode in: a track verified 9:70 69 Camaro bracket car.(454/trans brake TH 400). Coolest car,sitting in: 68 Shelby GT500KR,numbers matching.(Smog tech,in 91,a ***** to pass).

Tesla Model S. Belongs to a friend -- when I visited him in Texas he insisted I drive it everywhere. It's unbelievable -- like it was teleported in from the future. Accelerates like a rocket, with the stability and traction of a locomotive. Brakes like an anchor into the continental crust. Obviously a large and heavy car, but the extremely low and centralized CG makes it handle like a world-class sports sedan, with utterly zero body roll, yet the ride is great. Plus, every hi-tech gimmick you can think of, and several new ones. At $90K it makes those big brand name German and Japanese luxo-barges seem like primitive posers. And, made in USA.

As a kid, one of my dad's friends gave me a ride in his new 69 Hurst Olds 455. Had it up to 90 on the block behind our house. That made an impression...

66 396/375 Chevelle SS cruzed, and drove, in 66

67 Motion 427 L88 Camaro cruzed, in 67

69 427 L88 Camaro cruzed, Ran the Quarter, in 69

Driving cars at the Mecum auction got to drive a lot of really cool expensive cars

The one that sold for the most was a 1970 coronet RT convertible in sublime green white top and interior 12,000 miles and a HEMI in the original unrestored car

It sold for 385,000 dollars in 08 or 09 and I was on TV driving it across the red carpet

Drove a BOSS 429 Mustang that had a 210,000 reserve and a bid of $185,000 but didn't sell, got pictures from the owners wife of me driving it across the carpet.

Those are probably the most expensive cars I have ever driven

Drove an AMERICAN EAGLE motor coach original price was about $450,000 I think and asking price used was $250,000, what a sweet coach.

The oldest car I ever worked on was a 1928 Chev. The brakes were not working too well. It had mechanical linkages, and the pivots were half seized, or seized altogether.
This car was on full rego too.....that was about 10 years ago.
Oddest car was a 1987 Maserati 425 BiTurbo.....it went like a scoulded cat.
Cool cars were a 1971 Mach1 Mustang, 351C powered (RHD), 1966 Chev Impala 4dr Pillarless, 454 powered, (RHD aussie built), 1962 Mercedes Benz 220SEb 2-door coupe with a mechanical injected 6 cylinder with 4sp auto (RHD).....others..Saab 9000 Turbo, Porshe 944 & 924, Volvo's, VW's (old Beetles, Kombi's, Type 3's, Golf's, ect.), 1935 Willys Roadster Coupe ( aussie built and only 98 made), BMW's, ......etc....

Test drove a '58 Caddie CDV just to have the seller shaft me.

Got to ride in a Boyd Cottington Custom.

Pegged a '63 Chrysler Imperial.

Drive an almost all original '73 Dart everyday.

As a young kid I got a ride one day in an Isetta 300. One ride was enough as I decided right away I didn't want to chance being involved in an accident inside one of those coffins!
(Not me in the pic)

View attachment 220px-BMW_Isetta600_med.jpg

When I was at the dealership getting ready to drive my new '83 Hurst Olds off the showroom floor, I sat in a DeLorean they also had on the floor. I tried to close the clamshell door while sitting behind the wheel and it hit me on top of my head! The salesman said they could lower the floor if I was really interested in one. No thanks!

View attachment 280px-Delorean_dmc12_rear.jpg

A friend was friends with Reggie Jackson. I got to lift the covers on whatever cars I wanted. My favorites were 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt, 69 ZL1 Camaro, Ferrari Testarossa, 62 Max Wedge Dart.

Oh man, do I have a LOT. As some of you know, I worked at the Chrysler Proving grounds for many years. I was part of the Performance and F/E team so I got to test a lot of way cool things. Here is one, anyone remember the ME412?

Attachments

• concept_me412_1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 251
  • concept_me412_2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 253
A friend was friends with Reggie Jackson. I got to lift the covers on whatever cars I wanted. My favorites were 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt, 69 ZL1 Camaro, Ferrari Testarossa, 62 Max Wedge Dart.

The man,knows his cars..... The collection he used to have,was HUGE. I don't know ,nowadays.

1919 Pan automobile, one of the original Batmobiles, 59 Dodge Sweptside, Viper

-
Back