Soaked carpet after a rain

-

johnnyusa

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find why my carpet is always wet after a rain. I see some water around the sill carpet hold down. With new wind lace which I believe is installed correctly, leaks all the time. Anyone have any cures? Thanks.

I can't for the life of me find why my carpet is always wet after a rain. I see some water around the sill carpet hold down. With new wind lace which I believe is installed correctly, leaks all the time. Anyone have any cures? Thanks.
So, it is usually either the windshield, the wiper pivot gaskets, or the firewall gaskets... Sometimes it can be from a couple other spots, but these are what u should check into first, and in that order...

Get under the dash with a flashlight, have someone spray water on the roof and windshield. I found mine leaking thru the windshield gasket.

First thing I would check is door and window seals. If they are good and window adjusted...
I think mine leaked from almost every possible source. Your description sounds like one of the last ones I dealt with. After doing my window fuzzies, I noticed the same thing was happening-soaked by the sill plates. (I did not have a leak there before I changed the seals:BangHead:)
I removed the inner panel and hosed down the outside. Got in from the other side and investigated. The seal was good against the glass. But, There was water going between the backing metal and the door, down on top of the regulator bracket. From there it ran/splashed against the back of the interior panel and you can figure out where it would go from there. lol
So, I pulled the fuzzies and ran a bead of caulk behind them, which definitely helped
But that's not all... I also added a rubber seal at the back of my glass to fill a big gap.(you may not have this depending on what car you are working on)
Cinnamon 75 Duster \
After all that I still had water getting in so I reworked the seal behind the panel
Cinnamon 75 Duster \

Last edited:
If the carpet is wet beside the seat, the plastic water shield behind the door panel is suspect. Most of these 50 year old drivers doors have been into for one reason or another. That shield is often damaged in the process.

These are good answers, thanks. It's the front floors and the side wind lace is always soaked. I have been lazy with a hose and bucket but will attack this winter in storage.

OK. I poured water on the corner of my convertible and the whole area where vent window meets convertible roof seal and pillar post lets water seep in. I've replaced the door seal, roof rail and convertible front seal in the past years but still leaks. What DOES a good seal look like in that area? Anyone have a picture? I'm about to try to replace all again. Thanks.

How well is the door lined up? Are the lines fairly even ? Just wondering by the sound of it if you don't have some door alignment issue

How well is the door lined up? Are the lines fairly even ? Just wondering by the sound of it if you don't have some door alignment issue
That's a good idea but my car is in true alignment. Doors are quite flush and shut as they should. I was thinking of taking a fine thread and pulling it along the seal to look for an area of play in the rubber. Might tell me something. I think the whole confluence of rubber at the top is an issue.

The header under the front of the convertible top has a sheet metal skin sort of like a short section of a hard top roof skin. This header section has a couple little bolts in slotted holes for adjusting it lengthwise, square it to the windshield frame. The sheet metal has a divot area in the ends where a screw head is. That area tends to rust through.
Back in the day, owners would repeatedly adjust the hooks under the latches until that hand lever broke.
The joys of convertibles, and T-tops, and sun roofs, is offset by the wind noise and water leaks.
Good luck with it.

The header under the front of the convertible top has a sheet metal skin sort of like a short section of a hard top roof skin. This header section has a couple little bolts in slotted holes for adjusting it lengthwise, square it to the windshield frame. The sheet metal has a divot area in the ends where a screw head is. That area tends to rust through.
Back in the day, owners would repeatedly adjust the hooks under the latches until that hand lever broke.
The joys of convertibles, and T-tops, and sun roofs, is offset by the wind noise and water leaks.
Good luck with it.
Thanks for that. I will explore that option soon.

Don't leave it out in the rain is the best cure.

I found that it leaks at the pillar post where it meets the vent window top. There are two original patches that don't really do their job. Before I modify the set up, anyone know where to find NOS or aftermarket replacements for these? Thanks.

IMG_1605.JPG

-
Back