SoCal Car ****

-
In Thousand Oaks yesterday.

Attachments

• PICT0594.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 958
I noticed the classic rides when I first drove to CA in 1986 in my 69 Dart, especially 70's Jap mini-trucks that rusted quick back East. The movie studios have an easy time rounding up period cars. Mopars seem rare all over the country. My impression is that Mopar was more popular in the South, but maybe because I grew up there and we had them, or maybe the Dukes of Hazard effect.

Chrysler liked to sell cars in rural areas and the south had lots of those so there were lots of Mopars. I think Nascar might have contributed to that a little too. I can remember back in the 70's around the Louisville Ky. area we had a large number of Superbirds and Daytonas which always seemed odd to me when you consider the low overall number of them built but it seemed around town there was always one parked here and there at one time I could have taken you to see about 20 of them sitting around in yards and driveways. One guy had about a dozen sitting in an old warehouse down in the shady part of town around all the strip joints. I remember walking in the door and thinking holy s**t,I just want one and this guys got a whole building full. Sometime in the late 80's that place burned down. I never found out if the cars were lost.

Hey Dusteriffic, Where abouts are you??? The White 65 Cadi looks identical to what I had when I lived in Ventura/Oxnard back in the early 80's,....Of all the thing I miss most about SoCal, It was the Cars. Great Pics.

Hey Dusteriffic, Where abouts are you??? The White 65 Cadi looks identical to what I had when I lived in Ventura/Oxnard back in the early 80's,....Of all the thing I miss most about SoCal, It was the Cars. Great Pics.

I'm in the San Diego area (about 35 miles north). Some of the pics were taken during my junkyard travels between here and Los Angeles. Most were taken at a property I help manage here. The Caddy was in a parking lot in Encinitis (very close to here).

Chrysler liked to sell cars in rural areas and the south had lots of those so there were lots of Mopars. I think Nascar might have contributed to that a little too. I can remember back in the 70's around the Louisville Ky. area we had a large number of Superbirds and Daytonas which always seemed odd to me when you consider the low overall number of them built but it seemed around town there was always one parked here and there at one time I could have taken you to see about 20 of them sitting around in yards and driveways. One guy had about a dozen sitting in an old warehouse down in the shady part of town around all the strip joints. I remember walking in the door and thinking holy s**t,I just want one and this guys got a whole building full. Sometime in the late 80's that place burned down. I never found out if the cars were lost.

Superbirds and strip joints - two of my favorite things \\:D/

First car I bought in SoCal was a 69 RT Charger, The Cadi was 2nd, then a 74 Power Wagon, 77 Warlock, 70 300, 73 442, some Dusters,...all good memories,...cars you can only dream about up here these days,...Hell my Spacer has more rust than any 3 dozen of your pics combined,...and I got a decent one.

Rr

Attachments

• Copy of PICT3288.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 895
71 Barracuda

Attachments

• Copy of PICT5360 (2).JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 847
Batmobile in Wilimington Pick-a-part (south Blinn yard)

Attachments

• pickapartbatmobile.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 822
Southbound 405 in Culver City

Attachments

• 68ChargerProStreetTowing03a.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 810
  • 68ChargerProStreetTowing04a.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 800
-
Back