Some very old Pro stock racing vid.

-
I was there. I've only missed one Gatornationals and that was 1974. I made it there but i had to call my wife to come get me cause i was sick as a dog with the flu. I don't know how many more I'll make, Top Eliminator tickets were 360.00 this year.

That was awesome! WJ redlighting...he was having trouble cutting lights even way back then! An AMC in Pro Stock...And was the unseen announcer Steve Evans? I couldn't tell for sure...Very cool! Thanks!

That was awesome! WJ redlighting...he was having trouble cutting lights even way back then! An AMC in Pro Stock...And was the unseen announcer Steve Evans? I couldn't tell for sure...Very cool! Thanks!
It sounded like Dave Mclellen (sp?).
COOL video. Some names I haven't heard in 25 years.

George

When I was a kid living in So. California Steve Evans was the voice of drag racing.Thanks for bringing up that name.Kevin.

Thanks LADART! Those were wonderful days of racing - no electronics, etc. I would like to re-live them if I only could. I also like your bad truck!
Pat:cheers:

Cool Video!My first car was a 71 Pinto runabout,with crager 50,s on the back!Back then they were rolling bombs!(gas tank issues)

Those were the days, nice redlight from the professor. I'v been to the Gatornationals the last 8 years, boy has it changed. I lived by Maple Grove Dragway in PA back in the mid 70's and the pro stock class was my favorite back then. Now there like nascar, nothing stock about them. (I know I know, it all for safety reasons). I do remember the top feulers would rattle the house. I was hooked.

Great times when you could tell what a race car was without having to be told.

back to the 60's in 1967 I finished building Tenora dragways in Comstock Wis.opened the track that yr I just completed a build on a 1967 442 that won the NHRA points meet at minn. dragways that yr. and was runner up in stock eliminater. A YR OR 2 LATER W. J. WAS RUNNING A SUPER STOCK AUTO MOPAR. HE HELD THE NHRA REC. HE CAME UP TO MY TRACK ONE WEEK END SET TRACK REC. WONE HIS CLASS AND ELIM. BRKT. WE HAD A SPECIAL EVENT AT END OF RACE. IF YOU WANTED TO RUN OFF NHRA NATIONAL RECORDES, YOU COULD RUN AGAINST MY WIFE DRIVING MY 442 OFF NAT. REC. FOR A EXTRA $100.00 W. J. TOOK THE CHANCE . LINDA A 5 FT 2. 92 LB. DOLL . TOOK HIM ON AND BEAT HIM. THEN THE REAL W. J. CAME BACK AND SCREAMED NO GIRL COULD BEET HIM! IT WAS A SETUP, BUT HIS FRIEND WAS IN TOWER WHEN HANDICAP WAS SET . THEN HE WENT TO SAY I' NEVER RACE HERE AGIN. A LOT OF 4 LETTER WORDS, WHAT A UNSPORTSMAN LIKE ATTIUDE. WE TOLD HIM HE WAS NOTE WELCOME TO EVER COME BACK . THE CHILD IS A JOKE , AND HE STILL LIKE THAT. JUST WATCH THE LITTLE BOY WHEN RUNS AWAY FROM INTERVIEWS WHEN HE LOSES. THIS TO YOU W.J. :butthead: HE NEEDS TO GO BACK TO MOPAR HE MIGHT WIN MORE OFTEN

A glans from the past Thank you thank you,

I agree, now you can't tell one funny car from the other. I got conned/talked into flagging the cars off at the local track back then. The Christmas Tree went out at both races as it often did back then and they needed someone stupid enough to flag off the Pro cars. I was scared some both times but I think the nitro burning my eyes made me less scared with the funny's. The pro stocks were different. You could hear the high rpm's off the line. I had seen enough rear-end breaks, axle-breaks and clutch explosions that I was scared.
Looking back on it, I wouldn't take anything for it.
I also flagged a 69 Z28 with roller cam and everything against a 67 327 Vette with roller and tunnel ram. Both cars launched at well over 8000 rpm and I don't know who won because I was still looking for a place that felt safe.

-
Back