Son of a BI*CH!!!!! I'd Swear Mother Nature Has It Out For Me ........

-
All the building materials arrived this morning but we're having LOTS of trouble tracking down a roof beam. Seems the only ones we can find here are too heavy duty. I've made a few calls and sent a PM to the FABO construction guys nearby but if anyone has any leads, I'd love to hear them!

Aside from striking out everywhere on the local front, I contacted the place whose name is on the side of the building, Arco Building Systems in Georgia, but have yet to hear back from anyone.

The metal I need is 20 feet long, about 8 inches high and 3 inches deep. And straight. LOL

View attachment IMG_4467.jpg

I believe it's called Light Industrial C-Channel. I could pick this piece up by myself -- but everything we can find around here is like 250 pounds, and no one is inclined to sell just one to a member of the general public. Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Anybody have a metal building guy in the midwest???

Have you asked Bill Stone? I bet He,d know a supplier
X2 on that Leanna.
Or maybe get Billy to get the torch and dollies out and straighten it then tack weld in some gussets.
Naw!! I just looked at it again and looks like it would have to be cut where it is bent bad and welded back together.

Found it for you, check your voice mail.

Jim

Joe, that link you posted directed me to another place in Texas, and it turned out after a few minutes on the phone with a VERY helpful man named Bruce that we weren't asking for the right thing. An "open-faced cee purlin" has now been purchased and will be delivered on Monday from a steel place in Jackson.

Donnie and Jim, thank you both for your calls yesterday afternoon (heard the messages late last night) -- your time and help in details on tracking down the metal is very much appreciated.

Pete and Mike, I called Bill Stone and spoke with him for a few minutes yesterday. He gave me the name of one of his buddies; the purlin Billy found in Jackson was about 1/3 of the price and 100+ miles closer so it all worked out.

In the meantime, we got the damaged tin on the west side of the shop replaced last evening. Look look!!!! There's one hole for an air conditioner .................... :-D My camera batteries died before I could get a pic of both openings from the outside but it's still lookin like heaven to me.

View attachment IMG_4473.JPG

View attachment IMG_4474.JPG

And with enjoying just a few minutes of convenience having a piece of tin missing from that west side, we've decided to put a door in there. No more walking around the building!

This is some great news to hear this morning :hello2:

Ten days later and I'm still laughing at Grant's Tennessee turkey comment. Good one!

The purlin didn't arrive on Monday but it finally got here, and there's now some progress to report. The a/c units are both in the wall (no leaks!). The building now has four walls again instead of just 3 1/2, and there's 30 feet of state-of-the-art foil roof insulation and four brand new pieces of roof tin installed! :-D :hello1: :thumrigh:

Sorry about the 10:45 p.m. pics but they're all I've got at the moment. At least the flash decided to work this time. LOL

I'm sure beat though -- 11 hour day of hard ladder-climbing labor earned me a new appreciation for what you roofing professionals do every day -- sunburnt and ready for a shower. I thought powder coating all day was a tough messy job ...... this construction stuff is reminding me of muscles I didn't know I had. :-D

The new beam up top, and finally a wall there again ...

View attachment IMG_4484.JPG

View attachment IMG_4490.JPG

A/C in my shop! Holy cow!!! (Disregard that big non-energy efficient hole there ... it's going to have a door soon. :-D)

View attachment IMG_4486.JPG

Nighttime shot of the new exterior south wall (with an overhang on the roof now) ...

View attachment IMG_4491.JPG

The new foil vs. old fiberglass insulation ...

View attachment IMG_4487.JPG

View attachment IMG_4488.JPG

View attachment IMG_4489.jpg

There's still a ton of work to do before I'll call the repair / upgrade "done," but I'm delighted there's finally some real progress. Now I'm going to go get clean and then pass out. :sleepy1:

By the way, you got a permit?

The City Manager told me I need one to put up the lean-to but to repair the existing structure one isn't needed. Hopefully the Zoning guy will agree that since the lean-to is on Billy's non-business side of the shop and will not house anything PSC related, it should be a $25 residential permit instead of the $50 they charge for businesses. I hope. Every little bit helps! :-D

Permit!?!? Permit?!?! Yeah, they PERMIT me to do the work... We don' need no steenking permit!!! :laughing:

Sometimes its better to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission...:thumrigh:

lets get a little help for her here guys, she has been so kind to us giving us specials on powdercoatin as fabo members, its damn near time we help her. How can i be of assistance mam?

I'm willing to send a couple of project cars for climate-controlled storage.. just think of them as "garage art" :)

Grant

I'm willing to send a couple of project cars for climate-controlled storage.. just think of them as "garage art" :)

Grant

LOL Grant! Though I appreciate the offer very much, there's enough stuff to move around out there as it is (especially when it's time to coat the floor), and I'd hate to think about them getting damaged or covered in construction dirt.

Got some more done on the roof yesterday before the latest storm hit. No pictures -- how exciting is roof tin? lol -- but it's coming along nicely. Not sure if I'm sore from all the work .............. or just numb. :-D

Thanks again for all the support and patience in getting your guys' parts back.

Hopefully the Zoning guy will agree that since the lean-to is on Billy's non-business side of the shop and will not house anything PSC related, it should be a $25 residential permit instead of the $50 they charge for businesses. I hope. Every little bit helps! :-D

Leanna.... Check your PP. Just a little sumpin to help out.

You're a great person....and doing an awesome job! :hello1::hello1::hello1:

Darwin ........... YOU are the great one. You didn't have to do that ya know.

Thank you!

I know, but it seems like we've helped out a bunch of peeps around the site in the past, and with all you do for us, I think you deserve a little help in your hour of need.

You are VERY welcome Leanna!

(I'd like to see a few more members jump in)

Yep, that's why no matter how well it goes it's still called a "loss".

Looking good though.

-
Back