(Sorta) Super Six Build Just Getting Started

-
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I’m just getting started with a 2 barrel setup on my 225 Dart 4-door Auto sedan.
I did a compression test yesterday before installing the super six manifold and have 125psi exactly on all 6 cylinders. The car has been here in Southern Ca its whole life with about 42k miles. Bores look great, valve lash is dead on, and it runs 70 mph on the highway without a problem….

But, it ran like trash at idle, stumbled on takeoff, and has even died on the steep hills near my work a time or two at low speeds. Trying to remedy some of these issues and help it run a little better.

Got a super six manifold from a forum member here and installed it yesterday along with a few new parts:
-cap
-rotor
-wires
-plugs
-oil change and filter
-valve cover gasket
-Mr. Gasket 1937 carb adapter
-350cfm 2bbl carburetor W manual choke
-10” air cleaner

A few things left to do:

-manual choke cable (open to mounting suggestions)

-kickdown bracket (show me your Holley 350/500 2bbl custom brackets)

-delete charcoal canister and as much vaccuum crap in the engine compartment as possible - REALLY need help with this one!

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3119.jpeg

I'm unsure I'd delete the charcoal canister and vapor return system. If it's all there, I'd make sure it was all in working order and use it. It actually returns fuel vapor back to the tank where it condenses back into.......you guessed it........gasoline! It can actually pick up the mileage a bit. Although in order for it to work correctly, it will require a different air cleaner, or you'll need to fab up a hose coming off the carburetor vent bowl, which won't be difficult on a Holley.

I'm unsure I'd delete the charcoal canister and vapor return system. If it's all there, I'd make sure it was all in working order and use it. It actually returns fuel vapor back to the tank where it condenses back into.......you guessed it........gasoline! It can actually pick up the mileage a bit. Although in order for it to work correctly, it will require a different air cleaner, or you'll need to fab up a hose coming off the carburetor vent bowl, which won't be difficult on a Holley.
Thanks for the reply.. wouldn’t it be possible (simpler) to just get one of those 3-way anti vapor fuel filters and connect that return feed to the tank return?
Smog pump was already removed, and it’s still a mess of dry rotted vacuum lines in here..

Last edited:
Car is running again and idling smoothly with the new carb.. hopefully will have time to do a tune and finish the kickdown linkage here in the next couple of weeks.. lots of rain here in San Diego recently

Thanks for the reply.. wouldn’t it be possible (simpler) to just get one of those 3-way anti vapor fuel filters and connect that return feed to the tank return?
Smog pump would s already removed, and it’s still a mess of dry rotted vacuum lines in here..
That would become a solid fuel return. You can do that, but it doesn't quite work the same way. It was crude at best. I always wondered how a little metal fuel filter knows the difference between vapor and fuel. It doesn't. lol But yeah, however.

If you haven't checked it yet, make sure the valve lash is correct. That can contribute to all kinds of wonky behavior if too far off from specs.

That would become a solid fuel return. You can do that, but it doesn't quite work the same way. It was crude at best. I always wondered how a little metal fuel filter knows the difference between vapor and fuel. It doesn't. lol But yeah, however.
Ok thanks for clarifying that. I'll focus on making sure to replace everything that's cracked or damaged first before I consider ripping anything else out..

Y
If you haven't checked it yet, make sure the valve lash is correct. That can contribute to all kinds of wonky behavior if too far off from specs.
Thanks Zach, yeah I checked/ adjusted valve lash on all 6 cylinders on Saturday when I replaced the valve cover gasket. It should be spot-on now. I haven't driven the car yet with the new intake, but it already revs much stronger and smoother through the RPM range. Right now its missing quite a few vacuum lines and is surging a bit, so I'm trying to piece together the vacuum and crank case ventilation setup

Great info above, next I would recommend is HEI upgrade & get the kickdown hooked up asap.

Great info above, next I would recommend is HEI upgrade & get the kickdown hooked up asap.
Thanks! Yeah, the kickdown bracket I have is not going to work.. I was hoping to see some photos here from those who have done this mod.

I have a pertronix solid state ignition, and everything (cap, rotor, wires, plugs) was just replaced this weekend, but I will consider that upgrade for the future.

I used a Lokar cable kickdown (there's a more affordable cable option but I can't recall its name) connected to the gas pedal like a second throttle cable.

looking to do a Lokar on my super 6 truck if I dont convert to a manual. Im kicking myself trying to decide as I have both here.
also have a 78 Fury thats getting a 2bbl>4bbl swap, that's getting my other KD cable I have in the attic....

looking to do a Lokar on my super 6 truck if I dont convert to a manual. Im kicking myself trying to decide as I have both here.
also have a 78 Fury thats getting a 2bbl>4bbl swap, that's getting my other KD cable I have in the attic....
I'm just telling you from my own personal experience from installing several Lokar items in the past. Lokar SUCKS. If it was me, I'd be looking at the Bouchillon products.

$300 for a cable and a few plated brackets is pretty spicy ️

Just saw that several Jeep CJ guys are using a $20 universal 904 kickdown cable from Amazon with this same carb/ trans setup..
Probably just a Chinese copy of the Lokar cable, but at least I won’t feel bad throwing that in the bin if it doesn’t do the trick

My son has bought 2 bouchillon setups, and they look like some hilljack cobbled them up with a couple of fist sized rocks in the dirt. Very cobbled appearing. I have the lokar on hand, so I'll try them out before I spend any more. If I have trouble with those then I might try something else.

I've heard that bouchillon has a setup much like the 90s Cherokees and Durangos used, but what my son got from them sure doesn't look anything like those. Ice also heard of people getting kickdown cables from those vehicles in the junkyard and doing well with those. That may be another option

I think the 75-78 Fury 4-door 440 is one of the coolest cop cars ever. Same weight and nearly the same HP as my Hemi Challenger

My 78 fury isn't a 4 door or wagon but a 2 door hardtop. Not often seen anymore

$300 for a cable and a few plated brackets is pretty spicy ️

Just saw that several Jeep CJ guys are using a $20 universal 904 kickdown cable from Amazon with this same carb/ trans setup..
Probably just a Chinese copy of the Lokar cable, but at least I won’t feel bad throwing that in the bin if it doesn’t do the trick
I have made a couple of my own, using some metal from the scrap bin or hardware store for brackets, and the cable from a bicycle shop or motorcycle shop (Used for brakes, clutch, or shift).

-
Back