Spectra Premium Gas Tank - do I need to paint or clear coat it?

-

sazzlefrats

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting it to arrive so soon, do I need to spray it with clear or paint to keep it from rusting?

It seems to be covered in some oil too.

And fabricate some sort of liner to go between the tank and the spare tire well when you install it. Thick roofing paper will work.

If exposed to the elements yes they will start to rust over time. Just scuffed mine my a scotch brite pad when new & cleared it. Still looks great near 10 years later.

I've had my Spectre tank in for a couple of years now and it hasn't started to rust. It does sit inside the garage 99.9% of the time. I think the tank must be galvanized because my rotors started rusting the day I put them on.

What is the purpose of the roof liner on the tank?

I bought the actual pad from Quanta.

TP11-1.jpg

It keeps the tank from squeeking and also helps prevent wear between the tank and the floor of the trunk. At least that's what I was told. I was buying a whole new set up, so I figured what's $17 more???

Por15 has a 2 component tank sealer for the inside of tanks usually used for restoring rusting tanks on the inside but I plan on using it on my brand new tank to keep it new on the inside as well and clear the outside also. Not a lot of extra work and expense when its new so it stays that way. The pads aren't very expensive and really a must you don't want that tank wiggling causing squeaks and wear on your floor pan.

Clear coating is not a bad idea.
They are galvanized though.
I just re used the pad off my old tank, it was in good condition.
They are a bit tricky to get off, but a wide putty scraper and some muscle will do it.
I then used contact cement to glue it on the top like the factory did.
Definitely use a pad between the top of the tank and the trunk floor for reasons mentioned earlier.
My spectra tank fit really well, i would definitely buy another one.

Attachments

• 20120911_70.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 851
  • 20120911_69.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 917
  • 20120911_71.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 823
  • 20120911_72.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 902
When I pulled my old tank, I had no such pad :-(
What about using rubberized undercoating? I have a full bottle of that, figure since my car is loaded with that stuff and its super resistant to comming off it might work?

I'll look into the pad.

When I pulled my old tank, I had no such pad :-(
What about using rubberized undercoating? I have a full bottle of that, figure since my car is loaded with that stuff and its super resistant to comming off it might work?

I'll look into the pad.

Look here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-69-Cuda-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e74b6131c&vxp=mtr

You can also just cut your own out of heavy tar (felt) paper or some new foam type material that won't hold water.

Look at post # 13 here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=215621&highlight=gas+tank+pad

It keeps the tank from rubbing and squeaking when driving around, no metal to metal contact.

I use 30lbs tar/felt paper for the pads.
I double it over twice or 4 layers, cut to fit,
never had any problems.

Next question... why are there two openings on my brand new fuel sending unit. I ordered it with a 3/8" fuel line, the other opening in a 5/16"...

I also noticed that there is a 5/16" fuel line on the fuel filler neck... is this some sort of a vapor return line for emissions or something?

My 3/8" sender has a 1/4" vent tube. You can get them without. If your vent truly is 5/16", let me know. I use the vent for EFI return and it is a bit small for that.

The tube on the fuel filter neck is probably 1/4" or smaller. That is an atmospheric vent. It loops up high in the trunk then down thru the rubber filler tube grommet to underneath. Check that the end isn't plugged with undercoating or gunk. If it doesn't vent, your tank can draw a vaccum and starve your fuel pump as you drive if you have a non-vented cap, or even collapse your tank. I expect that later emissions cars w/ charcoal cannisters don't have that vent. You didn't tell us what you have.

I was just guessing on the size, I'm glad I asked the question. Otherwise I would have gotten the wrong size tubing. This is a 1965 Dart GT, originally a /6. Should have been a non-emissions car I would think.

I'll run a wire hanger up the fuel filler side tubing to make sure its clear, and then get me some 1/4" tubing.

Are there any cool options for a locking gas cap? I just realized that I had to drill mine off due to a lack of key.

My 3/8" sender has a 1/4" vent tube. You can get them without. If your vent truly is 5/16", let me know. I use the vent for EFI return and it is a bit small for that.

The tube on the fuel filter neck is probably 1/4" or smaller. That is an atmospheric vent. It loops up high in the trunk then down thru the rubber filler tube grommet to underneath. Check that the end isn't plugged with undercoating or gunk. If it doesn't vent, your tank can draw a vaccum and starve your fuel pump as you drive if you have a non-vented cap, or even collapse your tank. I expect that later emissions cars w/ charcoal cannisters don't have that vent. You didn't tell us what you have.

-
Back