Speedmaster heads revisited.

-
This is officially the best 2.02 Speedmaster or Edelbrock heads to date I’ve ever ported. Teaser pictures.

2C2C5CC4-05B3-45BF-8834-A9ECE43CC9FA.jpeg

EED92A7D-F927-4A7C-967C-EAA816C75FDB.jpeg

6175259D-1D0C-4F1E-8111-75EFD6ED5F5E.jpeg

D8F243B2-4D49-474A-90DB-4FF937866245.jpeg

Sorry guys zero progress zero update. Boxed up and set off the RPM and Victor340 intake and spends hours on the phone with customers. Actually lost money talking one member out of buy a set of bare Speedmaster heads from me and having me port them. But time we bought the Ferrea intake and exhaust valves (400.00) we were pushing 2000.00 before springs and retainers. I talked him into ordering TrickFlow heads. Now I’m going to have to go back to eating Ramon noodles. Lord willing this head will be finished and on the flowbench tomorrow.
But you did the right thing overall. The good Lord will know this and bless you with lots-O-steak to grill.

This part numbers for the valves are Ferrea’s?

Im always impressed with how much you can get those low lift numbers to come up. Have you done the Speedmaster BB Victor head yet? I’ve got some bare castings.

Im always impressed with how much you can get those low lift numbers to come up. Have you done the Speedmaster BB Victor head yet? I’ve got some bare castings.

I’m spoiled by the Speedmaster heads as the Edelbrock chamber is a lot closer to the valve. I wondered what the heck was I doing wrong when I did back to back customers with Edelbrock heads. No I haven’t ported those but I helped my buddy that passed away get his exhaust numbers up on his Big block Victor heads. He did a great job on the intake but needed help on the exhaust side. I did a post on those heads with pictures on Abodiesonly.

Really good gains there... Just curious how do these stack up pricewise to out of the box TFs? don't need numbers just curious if it's a big savings?

Really good gains there... Just curious how do these stack up pricewise to out of the box TFs? don't need numbers just curious if it's a big savings?eaea

The savings really come into play if you already have Speedmaster or Edelbrock heads. But still an 800.00 savings isn’t to bad.

@pittsburghracer , have you ever checked the gains of just the “pinch” after everything else? I believe you did in a different thread. If I remember correctly it was 5 CFM.

@pittsburghracer , have you ever checked the gains of just the “pinch” after everything else? I believe you did in a different thread. If I remember correctly it was 5 CFM.

I’m pretty sure I did in the part I or part 2 in the Speedmaster sticky post. Honestly the head bolt bulge removal does more as it allows more access to the short side and better shaping. But one compliments the other. That why I port to the pushrod tube first then it opens up more area to jump on the bolt bulge next. The worst part of the whole job is shaping the short side. I have a couple dimensions I want to hit before I even start that job or it will be coming off the flowbench and back on my porting bench. I wish I could give out those measurements but that would be a whole chapter and guys would be more confused after reading it.

Excellent for a Speedmaster 2.02, do you think the Ferrea 2.02 would be any benefit to the flow results ?
When you add a 2..05 or the 2.08 valve does the port stay the same other than the throat and the bowl to accommodate the larger valve ?
Thankyou John for sharing all this valuable information .

Excellent for a Speedmaster 2.02, do you think the Ferrea 2.02 would be any benefit to the flow results ?
When you add a 2..05 or the 2.08 valve does the port stay the same other than the throat and the bowl to accommodate the larger valve ?
Thankyou John for sharing all this valuable information .

This customer is building a street car with a small cam so
I paid a little more attention to small things for a low lift cam. I told him he’s ready for a bigger cam and with the same port sizing and a 2.055 valve he would be in the 308-313 cfm area after a nice five angle valve job. His exhaust side is cut on my seat machine with a cutter. His intake side is the stock valve job then hand cut by me. (4 angle). As far as comparing the Speedmaster 2.02 to a Ferrea 2.02 valve I doubt if you would see much of a gain. From what I hear we only have X amount of valve producers. I’m telling you the 10 degree retainers and keepers look like a 611-16 Comp. It’s ever lash cap ready.

More good news. The double springs that came on these hydraulic roller setup heads are going to work on the customer’s hydraulic cam. With the thick spring packs removed that i gave the dimensions on earlier in this post and shimming .030-.060 we are within spec.

Yes, I'm following you..so when you say "2.02 helps in Edelbrock".. you're saying the ferrea 2.02 valve helps over the ootb eddy valve , right?
This whole post was about porting a complete as delivered 2.02 head. Stock 2.02 valve with backcut, stock 10 degree retainers and locks. My valve job.

Last edited:
This customer is building a street car with a small cam so
I paid a little more attention to small things for a low lift cam. I told him he’s ready for a bigger cam and with the same port sizing and a 2.055 valve he would be in the 308-313 cfm area after a nice five angle valve job. His exhaust side is cut on my seat machine with a cutter. His intake side is the stock valve job then hand cut by me. (4 angle). As far as comparing the Speedmaster 2.02 to a Ferrea 2.02 valve I doubt if you would see much of a gain. From what I hear we only have X amount of valve producers. I’m telling you the 10 degree retainers and keepers look like a 611-16 Comp. It’s ever lash cap ready.

Thats a very nice gain for a .035 larger valve and a competition valve job, I have to ask what happens with the .050 {2.080} larger valve and the 5 angle valve job ?
Glad you able to use those springs.

Thats a very nice gain for a .035 larger valve and a competition valve job, I have to ask what happens with the .050 {2.080} larger valve and the 5 angle valve job ?
Glad you able to use those springs.

I did my set of 2.08 heads around 10-11 years ago. They were a damaged set of open chamber heads I bought off Moparts for around 300.00 and ported them for a friend. He never used them so I bought them back. Back then I struggled with high lift mild turbulence but they flowed 318. The updated set I’m now working on for my car are in the 330cfm area. So I’ll gain compression and flow. My old set is on my 408 now and has gone 5.98 so probably a very low 9.30 or high 9.20. I’ve learned a lot over the last year with my valve seat machine.

-
Back