Speedmaster/Procomp Heads - New combo kit???

-
All right.. I am back home now and finally have a chance to check everything out. Overall I am pretty impressed so far (However I have not yet had the Machine Shop check things out). I hope to do that next week sometime and will post up their thoughts.

I made a Video of my initial thoughts. First time I have done something like this so please forgive my horrible camera work as I was just using my cell phone.

[ame]http://youtu.be/t11JKnkw8o8[/ame]

Yep.. Looks like the link is dead now. I also checked ebay and Speedmaster was selling this combo kit on there as well last week and it looks like the deal is gone there too. Not sure if it is an out of stock situation or if they decided not to continue this deal.

Make me even more happy that I took a chance when I did. Now wishing I would have bought 2 kits (The $1,195 non-CNC kit would have been nice to play with for one of the other motors laying around the shop.)

All right.. I am back home now and finally have a chance to check everything out. Overall I am pretty impressed so far (However I have not yet had the Machine Shop check things out). I hope to do that next week sometime and will post up their thoughts.

I made a Video of my initial thoughts. First time I have done something like this so please forgive my horrible camera work as I was just using my cell phone.

http://youtu.be/t11JKnkw8o8

Looks decent, for the money.

are the rocker shaft bolt holes heli-coiled?
are the rocker shafts oiled the std. LA way? site says thru pushrod.
are these the same heads that are in EngineMasters magazine ported by Dr.J's Performance?

are the rocker shaft bolt holes heli-coiled?
are the rocker shafts oiled the std. LA way? site says thru pushrod.
are these the same heads that are in EngineMasters magazine ported by Dr.J's Performance?

Video above ,shows heli-coils. Has LA rocker shaft stands cast in,should be self explanatory. The CNC job,looks really good. As far as matching, Air Wolf's,IDK.

Air wolf heads are based on the Pro Comp heads.....

I did see or hear the part about heli-coils for the rocker shafts.the website lists oiling thru pushrods for all the small block heads.I would think they oil as an LA engine but you know what happens when you assume.

went to the Speedmaster/Procomp website and clicked on the picture of the top side of the head.dragging the cursor over the top of the rocker shaft mounts and found the oil hole for the rockers.the spec page says oil thru pushrods but the picture shows otherwise.

the heads are L/a style and do oil though the head. and are the best deal around .and are the base head for the air wolf head

I'm wondering how these will fair on a 340 .030 over without any port work and just a bolt and go. The runners look bigger and better than stock X heads and the bowls look nice and clean also.

I'm wondering how these will fair on a 340 .030 over without any port work and just a bolt and go. The runners look bigger and better than stock X heads and the bowls look nice and clean also.

Since these are close chamber heads...you will need to see where your pistons are ...above or below the deck and then adjust accordingly with head gasket to make it work...

These heads as shown are CNC...ported...probably clean the stock x heads clock easy......

What you describe is exactly what I will be putting these heads on (.030 over 340). As for Bolt and Go, I have not yet seen any reason why you could not but I am still skeptical and will double check everything first. Especially the valve springs as I will be running a fair stout cam (Lunati -
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duration 276/284, Lift .513/.533). Also like others have said, Gotta check the piston height and use the right thickness head gasket.

As for how these compare to stock X Heads?? I strongly believe they will flow MUCH better and deliver a lot more horse power. I do plan on buying some Dyno time once everything is all together. I do happen to have a fresh set of X Heads, A set of J heads with 2.02`s and a set of older econo W2`s all sitting on the shelf. I wish I had the time and money to do a side by side on all 4 set
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s but that is pretty unlikely.
[/FONT]

I wish I had the time and money to do a side by side on all 4 set[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s but that is pretty unlikely.[/FONT]

I hear ya-too bad we don't have names like Steve Brule or Dulcich...

We have a set of these SpeedMaster/ProComp heads that we are going to port and use on a 426ci/360, so there will be some kind of information in the future.

OOTB unported head flows from our bench.

Lift...........2.02 intake/1.60 exhaust w/1-3/4" tube

.100............65/52
.200...........132/106
.300...........186/153
.400...........228/179
.500...........248/194
.600...........256/199
.700...........250/203

What you describe is exactly what I will be putting these heads on (.030 over 340). As for Bolt and Go, I have not yet seen any reason why you could not but I am still skeptical and will double check everything first. Especially the valve springs as I will be running a fair stout cam (Lunati -
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duration 276/284, Lift .513/.533). Also like others have said, Gotta check the piston height and use the right thickness head gasket.

As for how these compare to stock X Heads?? I strongly believe they will flow MUCH better and deliver a lot more horse power. I do plan on buying some Dyno time once everything is all together. I do happen to have a fresh set of X Heads, A set of J heads with 2.02`s and a set of older econo W2`s all sitting on the shelf. I wish I had the time and money to do a side by side on all 4 set
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s but that is pretty unlikely.
[/FONT]

What I meant by bolt and go is no port work needed. I also am a strong believer in having any head, new or old, checked out by a machinist/ engine builder to be sure everything is kosher. Mass production means large tolerances.

What Lunati cam are you going to be running? I bought a voodoo roller 270/279 .515/.530 @.050, I'm just about finished hogging out my X heads. They should flow pretty damn good. I've done a few sets of chevy 350 heads with great success. These were my first Mopar heads.

did some searching for this setup and found the package with the non ported heads but not the ported setup like the OP got . Any flow numbers around for the ported heads yet .

We have a set of these SpeedMaster/ProComp heads that we are going to port and use on a 426ci/360, so there will be some kind of information in the future.

OOTB unported head flows from our bench.

Lift...........2.02 intake/1.60 exhaust w/1-3/4" tube

.100............65/52
.200...........132/106
.300...........186/153
.400...........228/179
.500...........248/194
.600...........256/199
.700...........250/203

Non CNC heads I am hoping?

The links were dead when I posted up back on april 10, maybe a run they bought out.

yeah the links died pretty quick but I did a reverse search on google the other day and was able to find the non ported package for 1249 I think it was .

Anybody else try a set of these heads? Is there a shop that is selling them complete, checked out and with decent valvesprings, retainers, locks, etc. for an semi to aggressive flat tappet cam???

Cant find anything on ebay

-
Back