Speedo Assembly

-

Delta One

Δ1
Reaction score
So I am having an issue concerning finding a speedometer that fits. My '74 Duster's stock speedometer cable is a one piece cable with a small nut that connects o the transmission, and a plastic clip connection on the instrument cluster side. I now have a 1986 Diplomat 318 in the Duster, and the cable has two nut style connectors, one small on the cluster side, large on the tranny side.

My question is this: Is there a way to remove the speedo connection point plate from the tranny? It looks like it is retained by a single bolt. Can I swap it out for a small pattern connector?

I have the stock cable and the '86 cable, but neither fit. The stock has a plastic connector and a small nut. The '86 cable has two metal nut connectors, one small and one large. I need plastic and small.

Any help is appreciated.

- Δ1

You should be able to swap the speedo drives between the two transmissions. Just be sure to swap the gear from the speedo drive in your car to the drive you swap into the car to keep the speedometer reading correctly. You'll also need to pay attention to how the drive is inserted into the transmission. It has marks on it and can be rotated in the trans to account for different diameters of drive gears. Pay attention to what you're doing & you shouldn't have any problems. Jack up the rear of the car so you don't have as much trans fluid run out of the car when you swap the drives.

Should have mentioned that you might want to replace the O-ring on the speedo drive. Your local parts house should be able to get one for you. It should be red. It's a special rubber that's made to swell in the presence of oil so that it will seal better. You might get by reusing your old one but some manuals warn that they tend to tear when they are reused.

Does anyone know if the speedo gear assembly from a 727 would be the same for the 904? Are they interchangeable?

Rob

I believe they are as the speedo drive is the same part. There is a small arrow on the trans case that points to numbers on the cable housing, that gets lined up to notches~what tooth count you are using.

Thanks, pishta, I'll check it out this afternoon...I have two 727 trannies here at the shop (for my big-block project), and both still have the gear housings installed (like below)...

HPIM1458.JPG

BTW, I'm Delta One's dad (the original poster), and the chief mechanic on his Duster....I'm just now getting around to fixing this part of the car, lol!

Rob

-
Back