Speedometer gear help!?!

-

lilgrems86

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question has already been answered for someone else, if so could you point me in the right direction.

I recently replaced the 904 trans in my 75 Duster after having it croak do to bad advice on kickdown linkage from some people! Anyway, I got the replacement 904 in and it runs great now, and my kickdown is set up properly now too! I used the same speedo cable and gear I had in the first one, because there wasnt one in the replacement trans. But now my speedometer will not work. It worked with the first transmission, it did jump around a little though, but I thought maybe that was do to the trans being shot. Did I put the speedo gear in wrong or what, I thought maybe there was a certain way you have to put it in because I noticed you can turn it and clamp it down at different spots? Can someone please help me figure this out? :angry7:

- Thank you.

The spedo gear housing is an ecentric fit to accomodate different diameter / tooth count gears. You probably just need to rotate the housing to mesh the gear.

this is what may have happened. all the teeth were ground off the plastic gear. if not you need to count the teeth on your gear, look at the number range on the gear housing and locate that number at the 6:00 position and the bracket will fit correctly too.

both answers given are the right ones..you need to take it apart to verify...hoprfully you didnt destroy the gear...good luck..

Thanks all, I love getting answers to my unasked questions. Makes me look like I know what I am doing...

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was just an issue of turning it. The teeth are fine, So I'll crawl under there, try roating it until it works in a diff position. If it works, that would be great, If not I'll let you know.

-
Back